Gillingham Sheffield Wednesday - OMDT

Build up a players confidence, put him in the team, score 3 goals and get mom. 

Then drop him. 

That will do his confidence a world of good. Perhaps he's carrying a knock or he hasn't got enough volume in his legs. 

Some strange selections occasionally from DM. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Good team that. 

Decent bench options as well. 

Agreed. With Paterson/Gregory up front and Dunkley back we have a bit of physicality against what is likely to be a physical Gillingham  team.

We've so missed a Dunkley or Dean aerial presence in some recent games. Just hope Dunkley returns in better touch than Iorfa has.

Happy with Dunkley coming in as he's our best defender in the air alongside Dean. 

Would have stuck with Bera for another match, but assuming the logic is that Patto will be up for a battle. 

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So we worry about them instead of letting them worry about us.

We struggle against physical sides so we've put out a physical squad. Nothing wrong with that.

We have plenty of options on the bench. 

Personally I’d have started Berahino with Gregory to see if we can get them working as a pair, but I can see the logic in starting Paterson given how Physical Gillingham are. The main good news is the bench. Dean, Iorfa, Mendez Laing all being fit enough to get onto the bench is brilliant for us!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doghouse Daz said:

Bejesus, matchday again. Nuuuuuurse !!!! get me my medication. Now which team is gonna turn up, Moores Marauders or Darrens Ditherers. ............ 

.... Nuuurse !!!  Get the padded cell ready.

Just count from 10 down to 1 and calm down. 

nurse-sexy.gif.76cd2a7b84bcef2382b6607e44a3cbf4.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Dunkley is the better arial presence over Iorfa. Will need that today.

Think people automatically assume that because Dom is 9ft tall that he's great in the air. 

He's not terrible in the air, but I think Dunkley has made a career out of clearing the thing with his head. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So we worry about them instead of letting them worry about us.

No. There’s not a single player there that would get into our squad and we’ve put out a great side due to our embarrassment of riches compared to the likes of Gillingham. 

Weve also picked a team to try to strengthen 

our own weaknesses, against a team who will literally only be playing to exploit them. And that’s physicality and set pieces 

That bench looks strong now windass to come back and we’re all guns blazing then 

Oh and that kid weve got on loan from qpr that I’ve forgot the name of he’s been off the agenda for that long 

I really don’t get peoples problems with Dunkley starting. Wasn’t he POTM just before his injury?

Patersons also on a decent run of goal scoring form. Like him or not, he’s getting in the right areas to finish his chances. It makes sense to play him today and THEN bring on Saido/NML to stretch Gills with 25 to go.

Just now, marconi said:

Was it Iorfa failing to win the header v Accrington which led to their goal?

If so pleased to see Dunkley back a a replacement.

Its not just the one incident. Our lack of a commanding aerial presence in both boxes has been manifest in a few games of late. If Dunkley can return in the same form as before his injury he'll  be a threat at attacking  set plays as well as providing much needed aerial presence at the back. 

• Like 1

Dunkley in to organise the defence at set pieces and counteract the aerial threat of Vadaine Oliver (20 goals in this league last season, most of them headers) and the long throws of their right wing back Jackson.

Feels like the right move to me if Dean isn't quite ready to start

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think people automatically assume that because Dom is 9ft tall that he's great in the air. 

He's not terrible in the air, but I think Dunkley has made a career out of clearing the thing with his head. 

Yes, Dom heads like a sub six-footer and unfortunately since his return he's not been the player that we know he can be on the deck either 

• Like 1