Rivalries That YOU Enjoy

11 hours ago, panda800 said:

The Brighton and Palace rivalry is a bit odd

It is odd, but possibly not as odd as it seems on the face of it.

Geographically, a lot of Palace's support live in Croydon, and Surrey borders East Sussex, so there is a bit of an overlap. Plus there was some sort of needle involving Alan Mullery or someone back in the day.

Even as I'm typing this, it is quite tenuous innit. 

It's a sh*t derby either way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markg said:

Portsmouth v Southampton 

Yeah that's a cracking one.

Some great games between them during that period where they were both in the same division in the early/mid noughties.

Really rate that derby.

On 19/03/2022 at 08:52, HighworthOwl said:

Norwich v Ipswich. They are a nice bunch until they play each other. Apparently there is a 13th century church in Norfolk that has a clock faces on 3 side but not the 4th as it faces Suffolk and they “won’t give Suffolk the time of day” so a deep rooted dislike. 

Also the Ipswich “Norwich family” song is brilliant. “Your sister is your mother, your uncle is your brother, your all f**king each other, the Norwich family!” 

We used to sing that to Barnsley 25 years ago and we probably nicked it from someone else. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Birmingham v Villa is a fiery one.

I often think that the derbies between clubs who aren’t likely to be winning trophies are more intense than those involving the top teams.

Fully agree.

Lets be honest as football stands right now, winning trophies is largely reserved for an increasingly small club of teams. For the rest of us, we have to get our kicks where we can, and I don't think it gets much better than winning an extremely bitter and petty local rivalry. We take the mick out of them for it but I think Dem Blades perhaps understand that a bit better than we do. 

• Like 1

I think a fairly big rivalry that doesn't get much publicity is Chesterfield v Mansfield.

All to do with the Miners Strike with both being traditionally big mining areas with Pro Strike Chesterfield and 'Scabs' Nottinghamshire Mansfield.

Supposed to be a lot more Police at this one than you would expect.

On 24/03/2022 at 09:33, matthefish2002 said:

I think a fairly big rivalry that doesn't get much publicity is Chesterfield v Mansfield.

All to do with the Miners Strike with both being traditionally big mining areas with Pro Strike Chesterfield and 'Scabs' Nottinghamshire Mansfield.

Supposed to be a lot more Police at this one than you would expect.

When Mansfield come here next week it will be very lively. Proper cup final day out for them. 

I live in the US now and I have to say, the west coast has got some good rivalries. LAFC and Galaxy is a reyt laugh, both LA teams and San Jose is like the California version of Barnsley. My personal favorite is Orange County Soccer Club who absolutely despise Galaxy for trying to force them out of their stadium and nicking all their players after they won the UCL Championship. I went to OCSC v Galaxy II last season and it was genuinely hostile. Spiteful chants, tifos, no sense of humour, the lot. Reyt laugh. Free drinks before game an all.

On 20/03/2022 at 03:02, SiJ said:

You know the Brighton v Palace is a crap rivalry when Sky have to explain why they hate each other. 

I had no idea this was a thing until this thread...they're no where near each other and don't have much competitive or nasty history. Is it a Sky rivalry manufacturing job or sumat?