Rivalries That YOU Enjoy

I enjoy the old firm. 

Don't like either club massively, but the sheer level of hatred and intensity that goes into those games is something to watch. 

A good rivalry has to have a bit of nasty edge to it, doesn't it? 

• Like 5

Norwich v Ipswich. They are a nice bunch until they play each other. Apparently there is a 13th century church in Norfolk that has a clock faces on 3 side but not the 4th as it faces Suffolk and they “won’t give Suffolk the time of day” so a deep rooted dislike. 

Also the Ipswich “Norwich family” song is brilliant. “Your sister is your mother, your uncle is your brother, your all f**king each other, the Norwich family!” 

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

Norwich v Ipswich. They are a nice bunch until they play each other. Apparently there is a 13th century church in Norfolk that has a clock faces on 3 side but not the 4th as it faces Suffolk and they “won’t give Suffolk the time of day” so a deep rooted dislike. 

Also the Ipswich “Norwich family” song is brilliant. “Your sister is your mother, your uncle is your brother, your all f**king each other, the Norwich family!” 

Haven't we sung that at Barnsley?

Wrexham V Chester used to be good one.

I was once at Wrexham train station, just me on the platform. Train arrived and two Chester fans leaned out the window, started swearing at no-one in particular, they then threw some empty beer cans onto the platform. I stood there looking bemused and then got on the train and as the train pulled away of the Chester fans said to his mate, 'That was better than sex that was'.

14 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Which is your favourite? 

Doesn’t have to be the most high profile one. 

I quite like the rivalry that exists between Man U and Everton… always seems to lead to a hostile and eventful game. 

I didn't realise they had a rivalry. Why did that come about?

Just now, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I didn't realise they had a rivalry. Why did that come about?

There is a natural antipathy between the two cities and has been for years. 

It's not quite at the level of United v Liverpool, but United v Everton (particularly at Goodison) has always had an edge to it. 

It's not what it once was (miles from it tbh), but I don't think anything in terms of the PL will ever top Man U v Arsenal in the late 90s and early 00s. 

That rivalry just had everything about it - quality teams, hatred between the teams, managers, fans etc. 

Those were the games you wanted to watch back in the day. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

It's not what it once was (miles from it tbh), but I don't think anything in terms of the PL will ever top Man U v Arsenal in the late 90s and early 00s. 

That rivalry just had everything about it - quality teams, hatred between the teams, managers, fans etc. 

Those were the games you wanted to watch back in the day. 

Loved that rivalry. Fergie v Wenger, Keane v Viera. They had some great matches between them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Loved that rivalry. Fergie v Wenger, Keane v Viera. They had some great matches between them. 

Proper dingdongs those matches. 

You had the quality and the great football, but back then they would kick lumps out of each other as well. 

• Like 1

Arsenal v Spurs is a proper derby, and the games are often great. I reckon that's the best derby in England.

Conversely Liverpool v Man U where the games are terrible, more often than not, even though it's a massive game. Probably the biggest in England.

Spurs v West Ham is also decent.

Brum v Villa's a good one as well.

Millwall and West Ham never really play each other, but if they did that would be up there for sheer intensity and hatred.

10 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

The 97-98 season was insane. Utd so far ahead that Fred Done (owner of BetFred and massive Man Utd fan) was so convinced they had the title wrapped up that he paid out on them. Fergie then trying all the mind games to put Arsenal off. Wenger and the Arsenal team ignored it all and ended up taking the title with games to spare.

3 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

The 97-98 season was insane. Utd so far ahead that Fred Done (owner of BetFred and massive Man Utd fan) was so convinced they had the title wrapped up that he paid out on them. Fergie then trying all the mind games to put Arsenal off. Wenger and the Arsenal team ignored it all and ended up taking the title with games to spare.

Shame they both lost 2-0 at Hillsborough that season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

The one that will always stick out to me was the one at Highbury in I think 2005. 

That was the match where Keane and Viera had their infamous squabble in the tunnel before kick off. 

Anyway, I believe that ended 4-2 to United with John O'Shea scoring a worldy chip to seal it.