Carlos Carvalhal on the march

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

agreed, we did…but what’s followed since is an absolute mess!!  Wether people want to admit Carlos was part of that or not, it’s up to them but he was.

i wonder how many clubs throughout the professional set up don’t do fitness & conditioning as part of their training programs and expect their players to go to public gyms?? My guess would be none!! 

Was it worth the gamble though as I'd say yes as very small margins once in play offs.

Just didn't happen but you can't blame Carlos for it all.

13 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

The problem was we never really replaced Loovens in the defence, he was the steady head that held it all together

After Hull all we needed was a long term replacement for Loovens, a midfielder ball winner and a striker, possibly a winger

We got Fletcher, Abdi, Boyd, Jones, Reach & Rhodes

Fletch was a good upgrade for Atdhe, we didn't know what to do with Reach and we didn't need any of the others

Exactly.

We went in for Guedioura whilst he was at Watford, but he didn't want to come north at that stage.

I think he harboured hopes of securing a midfield slot in Watford's outfit.

He was exactly what we needed, and was a very good player at that time.

All those midfielders, and no ball winner.

For all the strikers we signed we never got anyone with pace, which I never understood.

When you think about all the money we wasted on players which we didn't need, it was grievous.

Waiting all those years for big investment, and then it's squandered like that.

Terrible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Waddle93 said:

Was it worth the gamble though as I'd say yes as very small margins once in play offs.

Just didn't happen but you can't blame Carlos for it all.

How can an unsuccessful day out at Wembley be worth it?? We’ve gone backwards since then, we’ve been relegated, hit with points deductions and transfer embargo’s as a result…the platform was set after the first season but it was wasted!! We signed George Boyd, Allen Abdi, Jordan Rhodes, David Jones and wasted money which as ultimately put us were we are today!! These signings where made by Carlos and Chansiri…no one else. 

Please reread my posts…I’ve never once said it was 100% Carlos and it’s all his fault (like you have said) but it was a combination of him and Chansiri. People keep saying it was nothing to do with Carlos but that simply isn’t true.

Football as it is, means we as fans have suffered the consequences whilst managers and players have both come and gone often leaving to find success elsewhere with no accountability for their failure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

How can an unsuccessful day out at Wembley be worth it?? We’ve gone backwards since then, we’ve been relegated, hit with points deductions and transfer embargo’s as a result…the platform was set after the first season but it was wasted!! We signed George Boyd, Allen Abdi, Jordan Rhodes, David Jones and wasted money which as ultimately put us were we are today!! These signings where made by Carlos and Chansiri…no one else. 

Please reread my posts…I’ve never once said it was 100% Carlos and it’s all his fault (like you have said) but it was a combination of him and Chansiri. People keep saying it was nothing to do with Carlos but that simply isn’t true.

Football as it is, means we as fans have suffered the consequences whilst managers and players have both come and gone often leaving to find success elsewhere with no accountability for their failure. 

It's been laugh though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

What was Carlos' fault though other than tactics vs Huddersfield?

I doubt he signed any of the players other than being a part of a team in assessing it. That wouldn't be unusual for a continental coach. There's no way when he came here that he'd ever heard of any of those players or even Bannan or Wallace etc. He never looked like he wanted Rhodes, it caused friction with Andy Rhodes and he looked like he felt forced to play him given the outlay at times.

The overspending, not selling to refresh the squad and lack of budget or coherence in transfer strategy were the chairman and his advisors responsibility.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

What was Carlos' fault though other than tactics vs Huddersfield?

I doubt he signed any of the players other than being a part of a team in assessing it. That wouldn't be unusual for a continental coach. There's no way when he came here that he'd ever heard of any of those players or even Bannan or Wallace etc. He never looked like he wanted Rhodes, it caused friction with Andy Rhodes and he looked like he felt forced to play him given the outlay at times.

The overspending, not selling to refresh the squad and lack of budget or coherence in transfer strategy were the chairman and his advisors responsibility.

So Carlos and his team never identified transfer targets…He never went to the chairman with his “shopping list” ?? 

i don’t for one second believe that is true. 

5 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

So Carlos and his team never identified transfer targets…He never went to the chairman with his “shopping list” ?? 

He'd never worked in England when he got here though, how would he know who to sign for second tier football. 2015-16 he got here in July and we made more signings after that. The only ones he probably knew about were Joao and Matias.

Even his second year I don't think they were his signings.

It's not unusual for him though as he said before that in Portugal you change the coach every year as standard so he would be used to a set up where the coach is mainly the coach and not involved so much with recruitment.

He probably had a say in it but can't blame him for any of the financial issues/decisions.

16 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Yes he did. And he’s been on record saying the players he wanted never arrived and he got number 5 or 6 on the list. 

I don’t for one minute believe Carlos wanted to sign the likes of McGugan, Abdi or Rhodes - he never bloody played them. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

He'd never worked in England when he got here though, how would he know who to sign for second tier football. 2015-16 he got here in July and we made more signings after that. The only ones he probably knew about were Joao and Matias.

Even his second year I don't think they were his signings.

It's not unusual for him though as he said before that in Portugal you change the coach every year as standard so he would be used to a set up where the coach is mainly the coach and not involved so much with recruitment.

He probably had a say in it but can't blame him for any of the financial issues/decisions.

chansiri had only arrived…we zero knowledge of football what so ever 🤷🏼‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

chansiri had only arrived…we zero knowledge of football what so ever 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thats why he got third parties to do recruitment 

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

These signings where made by Carlos and Chansiri…no one else. 

And Paxo  let's not forget Paxo the wonder advisor. lol

Edited by quinnssweetshop

6 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

You can't guarantee success at Wembley or in the play offs full stop but we got there and had a chance.

How is Carlos to blame for that it was about 4 seasons ago.

8 hours ago, STEELWORKER said:

Go on the who's done better since eh eh?

Thats like asking who’s done better since the hit and run accident crippled the victim - the driver who sped off leaving the carnage behind, or the poor bloke left unable to walk and with one eyeball hanging out after being flung fourty foot down the road onto a metal railing 

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop