Carlos Carvalhal on the march

not this again . blew the loot was not responsible with it set the club back many many years in a decline and no its not all down purely to chansiri other people have to take there share of the blame and he was given 10x what any manager has ever given . 

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That too

But with the players he got his lack of discipline, training and fitness strategy and how he handled returns from injury set us back years 

This has been proven 

And also confirmed by ex players 

People forget the level of pressure he was under. Carlos was no fool. He knew the chairman had spent huge sums in the first two years to get us promoted. He knew the EFL would stop us spending. His boss wanted Premier League by 2017. 

If a key player wants to play (Hooper, Forestieri, Lee) and we can get him playing through the pain barrier, it’s a risk you’ll probably take.

Again - all down to the environment we were operating under.

3 hours ago, Cheshowl said:

And if they’d done it they’d be alright 

i very much doubt it…been fit and been conditioned to play 90 minutes of professional football is two totally different things. 

Carlos and the players openly admitted that training was dominated by ball and technical work. 

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Because Carlos said that in his opinion a player can't play two games in a week.

That's why he wanted two players at least for every position.

I'm pretty sure he didn't want Rhodes, but I can't speak for the rest of them.

But squad sizes are 25 players over 21 allowed most if not all teams will go to the limit, our squad this season is 25 players over 21

Every team will have a least 2 players per position, it's why teams have actual squads these days

17 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But squad sizes are 25 players over 21 allowed most if not all teams will go to the limit, our squad this season is 25 players over 21

Every team will have a least 2 players per position, it's why teams have actual squads these days

Fair point, but our squad was very large, over 30 players.

In the 2016/17 season it was 35 players, for instance.

My own view is that our recruitment was agent-driven, rather than chosen exclusively by Carlos.

It was obvious to all of us that it was an unbalanced team, so it's inconceivable that he wouldn't have known it too.

And I think that's one of the reasons why we sunk so quickly after he left.

The bulk of the cash was lavished on forwards rather than across the team as a whole, so when the forwards went due to P&S what remained of the team wasn't up to much.

I mean, our defenders were never of the same standard as our forwards, for example.

So I think what happened would have happened whether Carlos had stayed or not, for that reason.

Prior to our forwards leaving we'd just got too much firepower to go down.

Even in the infamous encounter against the Blades at Hillsborough, although we were completely outplayed from start to finish we still managed to score two goals, robbing them of a massacre.

One mistake Carlos definitely did make, however, was to drop Hutch into defence instead of buying a CB.

Then, when he discovered that he couldn't get by without Hutch in the middle, it was too late to buy one.

Carlos got the buzz back around Sheffield Wednesday. 

He was tactically brilliant. 

The player recruitment was very similar to how many low level premier teams use. 

Have an index. Pick player based on that index and then manager and recruitment team report to chairman and then recruitment head buyer negotiates a fee and wages. 

As a manager and a person I think Carlos is sublime. 

We gave that season a right go. And the play off final is possibly the best I have seen wednesday fans and club come together. 

We move on. And with none of the financial support Carlos had. Darren Moore is slowly steering us back the right way. 

#wawaw

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Fair point, but our squad was very large, over 30 players.

In the 2016/17 season it was 35 players, for instance.

My own view is that our recruitment was agent-driven, rather than chosen exclusively by Carlos.

It was obvious to all of us that it was an unbalanced team, so it's inconceivable that he wouldn't have known it too.

And I think that's one of the reasons why we sunk so quickly after he left.

The bulk of the cash was lavished on forwards rather than across the team as a whole, so when the forwards went due to P&S what remained of the team wasn't up to much.

I mean, our defenders were never of the same standard as our forwards, for example.

So I think what happened would have happened whether Carlos had stayed or not, for that reason.

Prior to our forwards leaving we'd just got too much firepower to go down.

Even in the infamous encounter against the Blades at Hillsborough, although we were completely outplayed from start to finish we still managed to score two goals, robbing them of a massacre.

One mistake Carlos definitely did make, however, was to drop Hutch into defence instead of buying a CB.

Then, when he discovered that he couldn't get by without Hutch in the middle, it was too late to buy one.

I don’t think our defence was bad at all. Think Loovens came in December 2013, Hutchinson January 2014, then Lees and Westwood June 2014. From that point onwards we kept loads of clean sheets under Gray and then the first 2 years under Carlos. Think we broke or equalled the clean sheet record twice between 2014-17.

Our first 11 was very good, probably lacked an Antonio type player to unlock games where the passing game wasn’t working but it was the squad depth where we had loads of forwards and not enough defenders or midfielders of the right level.

The three key football coaches at the time - carvahal, lage, Bullen - are all doing very well as managers this season . 3 different countries, levels but they are all doing well.  We had all 3 at once.  They are clearly all good managers and coaches.  

I lay little blame on the management team of the time for our ultimate demise 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

I don’t think our defence was bad at all. Think Loovens came in December 2013, Hutchinson January 2014, then Lees and Westwood June 2014. From that point onwards we kept loads of clean sheets under Gray and then the first 2 years under Carlos. Think we broke or equalled the clean sheet record twice between 2014-17.

Our first 11 was very good, probably lacked an Antonio type player to unlock games where the passing game wasn’t working but it was the squad depth where we had loads of forwards and not enough defenders or midfielders of the right level.

The problem was we never really replaced Loovens in the defence, he was the steady head that held it all together

After Hull all we needed was a long term replacement for Loovens, a midfielder ball winner and a striker, possibly a winger

We got Fletcher, Abdi, Boyd, Jones, Reach & Rhodes

Fletch was a good upgrade for Atdhe, we didn't know what to do with Reach and we didn't need any of the others

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

That's true, but what I meant is that to do that we couldn't let the dog out and capitalize on our striking prowess.

Because we lacked a midfield enforcer, and because IMO our defenders weren't of the same standard as our forwards, we covered up.

People chuntered about our defensive play, but I think that's why Carlos played that way, at least when it mattered.

Loovens and Lees were not of the same standard as defenders, as Forestieri and Hooper were as strikers for instance.

At that time you'd have been looking at the likes of Lewis Dunk for that.

We enquired, as it happens, but were quoted £15 million.

And the lack of a midfield enforcer meant that we never got the best out of Baz.

John Sheridan was a good player, but where would he have been without the bold Carlton alongside?

12 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

correct…Not one Wednesday fan can deny this!! 

i know a couple of people who work for the club and it was a well known fact that the players had gym memberships paid for by the club and they were expected to do fitness in their own time. 

I mean who would think footballers could do the fitness work in the spare 20hours a day they must have.

I'm sure Carlos got stuff wring but Jesus we had out best 2 seasons in 20 years under him also.

9 hours ago, Waddle93 said:

I mean who would think footballers could do the fitness work in the spare 20hours a day they must have.

I'm sure Carlos got stuff wring but Jesus we had out best 2 seasons in 20 years under him also.

agreed, we did…but what’s followed since is an absolute mess!!  Wether people want to admit Carlos was part of that or not, it’s up to them but he was.

i wonder how many clubs throughout the professional set up don’t do fitness & conditioning as part of their training programs and expect their players to go to public gyms?? My guess would be none!!