Carlos Carvalhal on the march

It's difficult to judge Carlos because we don't know how many of the signings were down to him, and how many were down to Paixao, Channers and his son.

If they were all down to him then he made a royal hash of things; if not, then you can see why he's now doing better at Braga.

We ended up with a team with a surfeit of forwards, yet no midfield enforcer and a shortage of quality defenders.

Which meant that we were always covering up, afraid to let loose our forwards for fear of being exposed at the back.

That striking talent was never fully utilized.

And for all the forwards we had, we never had a pacey front man as an outlet.

We definitely had too many players, and that was Carlos' fault.

He believed that players couldn't play two games in a week, so we ended up with a bloated squad instead of a smaller, better-quality one.

And unlike in Portugal, swapping and changing all the time in a cold climate contributes to injuries; players need playing regularly like cars need running in winter.

In the end, he had to go.

If a manager loses two play-offs then he's finished, because the players give up on him.

That's what happened here, and the decision not to sack him after Huddersfield cost us a third shot at promotion.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Again - all quotes from former players who played under him

They were there in that situation

You weren't

But I guess you're gonna call everyone 'know nowts' and make out you're the definitive info source on what happened behind the scenes?

lol

I know lots of stuff but im not a blabbamouth..thats why i get to know stuff 🤐....

• Haha 2

Just now, The coach said:

I know lots of stuff but im not a blabbamouth..thats why i get to know stuff 🤐....

Thing is you spend all your time on here saying how much you know, that you know stuff, that nobody else knows anything etc etc

It's tiresome and dull as fookery

And just another attempt at 'Uberfan'ing

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

It's difficult to judge Carlos because we don't know how many of the signings were down to him, and how many were down to Paixao, Channers and his son.

20 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

We definitely had too many players, and that was Carlos' fault.

These two things contradict each other.

If he wasn't in control of the signings how was having too many players his fault?

Especially given DC's position on selling family members

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is you spend all your time on here saying how much you know, that you know stuff, that nobody else knows anything etc etc

It's tiresome and dull as fookery

And just another attempt at 'Uberfan'ing

Eh? You started it..i never say i know stuff...every so often i break something..you ok hun x

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

His strategy around training, fitness and injuries set us back years 

Yet we are still suffering (injuries) several years later. All the others must have adopted that same strategy then eh??

14 minutes ago, pj owl said:

Yet we are still suffering (injuries) several years later. All the others must have adopted that same strategy then eh??

We are still suffering injuries years later because due to the ineptitude of CC the cash has gone and we are having to bring in players with dodgy fitness records. 

26 minutes ago, pj owl said:

And people like Bannan,Hutchinson & Lees have hardly played 2 games between them since. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Darren Moore is managing returns from injury very well indeed  by the way 

Well he should certainly be well practiced!

FWIW, he is now - he didn’t at the start of the season.

Noticeable change in strategy.

Edited by JemmoJemoJemmo

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

This is true

The problem being that he left behind injured and unfit players that we couldn't shift and sell

Who apart from kieran Lee. 

Don't try and blame him for the fraud that was Abdi even your not that daft. 

Are you  ?.

7 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Helped screw this club up. 

Sod what he's doing now. 

I don't think he really did. He kept playing K Lee when he shouldn't. I think aside from that recent injuries have shown the rest of it was not down to him. The money he spent was not really him. Paxo had control of transfers and his priority was his own income, rather than the long term financial stability of swfc, so we signed older pros offa his books. Good for one or two seasons, but with little resale value. I think Carlos had little say in this - maybe was asked could he use x player - but its not his job to safeguard the financial stability of the club any more than it was Paxo's - that was Chansiri's who let all this happen, didn't bother to learn the system he was expected to operate under and dropped a massive ball. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Daizan10 said:

I don't think he really did. He kept playing K Lee when he shouldn't. I think aside from that recent injuries have shown the rest of it was not down to him. The money he spent was not really him. Paxo had control of transfers and his priority was his own income, rather than the long term financial stability of swfc, so we signed older pros offa his books. Good for one or two seasons, but with little resale value. I think Carlos had little say in this - maybe was asked could he use x player - but its not his job to safeguard the financial stability of the club any more than it was Paxo's - that was Chansiri's who let all this happen, didn't bother to learn the system he was expected to operate under and dropped a massive ball. 

Absolutely bang on.

Trouble is though "the truth doesn't sell many papers ".

• Like 1