Man of the match & scores -Accrington (H)

Man of the match   

269 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Storey
    • Johnson
    • Luongo
    • Hutchinson
    • Iorfa
    • Palmer
    • Byers
    • Paterson
    • Berahino
    • Bannan
    • Hunt
    • Gregory
    • Dele-Bashiru

Peacock 6 solid all night bar the goal
Iorfa: 6 some good runs, looked totally in control like he'd not been out several months but not strong enough with the header for goal, fatigued at the end 1st game back maybe
Storey: 5 good in air but distribution is predictable and wont make those runs, might be better in middle of a 3
Hutch: 6

Palmer 5 
Johnson: 6 og was a strange one, him and/or bpf should have stopped that

Byers:  6 
Luongo:  6
Bannan:  6

Berahino: 5 

Paterson: 7* good finish

hunt 7 good assist and was more of a threat on right

We're an older side with a depleted squad so wouldn't be suprised if a bit of fatigue can set in on tuesdays, players gave 100% and deserved win imo, suckered near end yet again from a set piece, the only way they were going to score. Points lost to set pieces must be around worst in all leagues.

Possession went down when bannan came off and those interchangable/1-2 passes stopped, they pushed forward and got 1 corner, unlucky but potentially an expensive draw

13 hours ago, Brommers said:

Some very opposing opinions as ever.

I struggle to see why DM gets criticism for team selection. We've got fans creaming themselves cos we've got players coming back from injury and others worrying that some players need a rest. So he makes a couple of tweaks and gets lambasted for tinkering. 

As per my earlier post, we weren't great but did more than enough to win comfortably, couple of things didn't go our way this evening. 

Totally agree Darren Moore did NOT get it wrong last night...he made a couple of changes due to the amount of games we've had/still have coming up and Gregory is just returning from injury.

If Gregory had started then pulled up half way through the 1st half people would have been slating him for "not easing him back in". For Gibson not to make the squad the staff obviously have doubts over fitness or a slight knock and people sayin Iorfa was "shoehorned" in...he's a key first team player playing CB which is his natural position FFS.

It was one of those games...frustrating, stop/start and very painful to watch at times with how the opposition went about their business!! get over it lets move on to Saturday. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Peacock-Farrell - 5 - Just watched the goal back, and I have to say, you have to question whether he could've done better? It wasn't a powerful header, and he's made a right hash of a fairly simple save. Before that however, I thought he looked as adept as he has done for a while, in terms of crosses and his aerial ability. 

Storey - 6 - Toiled away. Not his best game, but stuck at it.

Hutchinson - 7 - Man of the Match - Complete turnaround after half time. He was really struggling in that 1st half. Bishop had unsettled him, he was seriously struggling to read the game, and he was responsible for a lot of our ponderous play when playing out from the back. The shift across to LCB helped immensely. Seemed to take responsibility after the break, drove the team forward, and looked like the Hutch we know. Was he the player who was beaten to the ball by Sykes for the goal though?

Iorfa - 6 - Looked a bit rusty at times, but came out of defence on a couple of occasions. Seemed to look much happier when moved more centrally.

Johnson - 7 - Our most dangerous player (again), but did have long periods where he drifted out of the game. Another unbelievable run for the goal, and he continued to look to get at the wing back, and get balls in the box.

Palmer - 5 - He was poor. He's not a right wing back, and it shows.

Luongo - 6 - Improved as game went on, but struggled to get grip of the game in the 1st half. Accrington were 1st to every 2nd ball, and won that midfield battle comfortably last night.

Byers - 5 - Game just bypassed him. Looked unsettled by Accrington's physicality, and had no effect on the game whatsoever. Should've been taken off for Bashiru, long before Bannan was.

Bannan - 6 - He was poor last night, but still a catalyst in so many good moves we had. Can't remember a time when he gave away so much simple balls. Like the other two in midfield, went from been afforded the space of Hillsborough on Saturday, to been unable to cope with an aggressive outfit who got in their face and stopped us playing. Despite him been poor, I'd have left him on, because he's capable of a bit of match-winning quality.

Berahino - 6 - Could feel a tad unlucky to get subbed. Thought he showed glimpses of quality in that first half, without setting the world alight. Could/should've scored in the 1st half, and did superbly to set up the chance for Bannan at the back stick. Just feel, if you've got a player full of confidence, coming off a hat-trick, you keep him on.

Paterson - 6 - He gets a point for a goal, which shows how generally poor he was. He caused a lot of our problems. On Saturday, Gregory was dropping deep, and giving the centre halves an option to play into, but Paterson just hangs on the last defender, and has neither the aerial threat to cause any serious issues, nor the pace to trouble in behind. He was in the right place, at the right time for the goal, and tbf, you can't knock his goalscoring record of late...but nonetheless, he wasn't great.

Hunt - 7 - What a difference he made. Had he played a full game, he'd have been MotM. Chalk and cheese to Palmer...full of running, a threat in behind, quality from wide areas. Did brilliantly for the goal, not only for the initial composure, but for having the nous to head the rebound into Paterson.

Gregory - 6 - Made a difference when he came on, but was generally quite quiet. His run across the box was key for it to open up for Hunt, in the build up for the goal.

FDB - 6 - At least he brought some physicality to the game, and looked to get amongst Accrington. I'd have brought him on sooner, his directness seemed to unsettle them at times.

Overall...

It was nowhere near Saturday's masterclass...but, let's be honest, it was very unlikely ever to be.

Accrington came, and matched us up. They went man-for-man and physically dominated us. And, although there's been occasions lately where we've stood up to those battles (namely Wigan at home), far too often we come out second best. I'm not sure you could say we were 2nd best last night, but Accrington certainly limited our threat, and we saw our weakness exposed again. Coleman got one over Moore last night.

Imo, Moore got it wrong...but, I can overlook it, because of late, he's got pretty much everything spot on. The starting line-up was needlessly rotated. We are a week or two away from having some serious players back, when rotation won't weaken us. But at the minute, rotation weakens us. Palmer isn't a wing back...never has been, never will be. And Gregory was rested on Saturday, taken off on 60 minutes, surely he's got another hour in him?!

And taking Bannan off, was just bizarre. He wasn't great, but Byers had a poor game, and Bannan is far more likely to kill the game off with a bit of quality.

That said, it's a point. It's not the end of the World. But, it just intensifies the pressure going into Saturday. We're at the business end, and every game will seem huge. I'm still confident we'll have got more than enough, if we continue to play in a positive way, especially given the quality of players we've got coming back. Still lots of reasons to be positive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peacock-Farrell: 7 - Claimed a lot of crosses with confidence, and I'm not going to dock him any points for the goal, because for me he saves that shot, it is just that Johnson turned a save that was going wide into his own net.

Iorfa: 5.5 - A bit ponderous on the ball, and a bit hesitant in the air (could he have done better and not conceded the corner they scored from?)

Hutchinson: 7.5 - MoM. Saved us a few times at the back and tried to drive us on in the second half. Credit to him to solving our problems at LCB in the second half.

Storey: 5.5 - Not sure it is his fault, but I thought he might struggle on the left and he did, always having to cut inside onto his right foot. Lost his man for the goal.

Palmer: 5.5 - Had a couple of decent moments breaking forward, but also left a ball to bounce in the danger area underhit a cross in the first minute.

Johnson: 6 - Credit for the great run and pass that led to the goal, but loses some for getting in a tangle for the own goal. Should have got out of BPF's way and let him make the save.

Luongo: 6 - A few good crunching tackles, but also lacked quality in attack, with a few poor final balls.

Byers: 5.5 - Struggled to get into the game.

Bannan: 6 - Overrun a bit in the middle with the Land of the Giants in midfield. Still the odd glimpses of quality.

Berahino: 6.5 - Looked bright for the most part, but we didn't give him much to feed off.

Paterson: 7 - Most of our best chances fell to him, and he finally put one of them away.

Hunt: 7.5 - Excellent running and determined performance, helped raise the rest of the team. Surely he must score a goal eventually?!

Gregory: 5.5 - Gave the ball away sloppily a couple of times.

Dele-Bashiru: 6.5 - Couple of good runs.

We really struggled to get going. I feel we were a tad unlucky conceding to their only corner in slightly odd circumstances, but we lacked cohesion and they really seemed to knock us off our stride.

On 15/03/2022 at 22:24, Drewswfc said:

BPF absolutely garbage. should have come out and collected  the lofted/chipped ball into the box which led to the corner from which they scored....he really is not a good keeper.

Gregory mom ball started sticking when he came on 

Should have scored at least two in the first half too. And he didn't win the first header for the goal. Also, if he had just ceased to exist, i think Johnson would have cleared that no problem. He also made 0 tackles all game - unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, Daizan10 said:

Should have scored at least two in the first half too. And he didn't win the first header for the goal. Also, if he had just ceased to exist, i think Johnson would have cleared that no problem. He also made 0 tackles all game - unacceptable. 

Alreyt bailey