Thee referee tho

36 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I have posted similar comments in ref threads before but it is worth posting again. I have a friend who’s an ex referee. When I talked to him about being a Wednesday fan and how we were in L1 he laughed. The standard of refereeing down here is a joke even to other referees. They get paid buttons and are notoriously garbage. My mate says it’s like the Wild West. You might get the odd good up and coming ref but in the main they are dog poo. 

The only thing to bear in mind is would you want to do it yourself? I certainly wouldn’t. Last nights ref was one of the poorest, but his rubbish decisions were in the main things that didn’t directly cost us. We lost because Accrington bullied us.

You might want to point out to your friend that L1 is no worse than the Prem……and they get a significant wage plus VAR to help.

The weekend gone was full of crap decisions in the prem

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

So when you say soft you mean “wasn’t”………I ask because that’s not always what people mean

Well the ref gave them a free kick for it so technically it was a foul… but you know what I mean… I think!

We didn’t throw the points away last night because of the ref making poor decisions like that one, we threw the points away because with 9 games of the season to go, we still haven’t worked out how to consistently overcome teams like Accrington and/or defend set pieces properly and/or defend a lead. Crap refs really don’t help matters though, and their poor decisions just add to the overall feeling of frustration.

We’ve had worse refs this season than the one last night IMO, but the overall standard in L1 is atrocious

• Like 1

What about the decision where their player smashed the ball into his team mates face? Player goes down while we've got the ball so ref stops play and restarts the game by dropping the ball to their player, who smashes it forward and starts an attack. How can that be right? It seemed to go unnoticed by the crowd and the players. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

Well the ref gave them a free kick for it so technically it was a foul… but you know what I mean… I think!

We didn’t throw the points away last night because of the ref making poor decisions like that one, we threw the points away because with 9 games of the season to go, we still haven’t worked out how to consistently overcome teams like Accrington and/or defend set pieces properly and/or defend a lead. Crap refs really don’t help matters though, and their poor decisions just add to the overall feeling of frustration.

We’ve had worse refs this season than the one last night IMO, but the overall standard in L1 is atrocious

You seem to think that I’m concentrating on the word foul….I’m not…..it’s “soft” that always intrigues me.

normally used when a player makes contact with an opponent (without the ball) but not of sufficient force to bring him down……ref gives a free kick, howls of protest from players and fans “that’s a bit soft ref”

Yes it is……but it’s still a free kick…..there’s nothing in the laws of the game saying a player has to be pole axed for it to be a free kick.

Hutchinson’s “foul” and yellow wasn’t soft - it was wrong…..my first thought was that it was a free kick to us!

36 minutes ago, Ian said:

You might want to point out to your friend that L1 is no worse than the Prem……and they get a significant wage plus VAR to help.

The weekend gone was full of crap decisions in the prem

I’ll pass on your comments. There’s no point arguing with the bloke though. He did used to be a ref after all! 

2 hours ago, Ian said:

They weren’t the only ones…..Berahino’s dive on the 2nd half when he could have been through in to a very promising position was embarrassing 

why would i mention the singular dive in comparison to their constant throwing themselves down kicking the ball away etc they were the only ones barring one occasion we play a lot more entertaining football then that. However, i do agree and think that it was pathetic from saido

Edited by harrwawaw

blaming the ref last night is seriously clutching at straws. The fact we hardly forced the keeper into a save or put their defence under any sustainable pressure isn't the refs fault. Yeah he blew up for picky things and what not but nothing that really changed the game or anything too controversial. We score a first half goal and everything changes, only ourselves to blame last night

• Haha 1

Worst thing was, he actually did speak to the keeper twice in the first half when he was wasting time over goal kicks and free kicks (which he literally started doing in the first minute). But then completely ignored him when he carried on doing it for the rest of the game.

Blatant timewasting shithousery is one of my biggest bugbears in modern football, it's so easy for refs to clamp down and stop it but they just can't be arsed because it gives them a bit of a breather. .

• Like 1

I thought the ref started out quite well but he seemed to get suckered in more and more to their tactics of throwing themselves on the ground as well as ignoring time-wasting. Poor referees stand out more when you don't play as well but I think even a neutral observer would agree that he played a part in helping Accrington fulfil their game-plan.

He was also the ref of course who took 50 minutes to call the game off in February when it was pretty obvious that it was unplayable. 

1 hour ago, Nut said:

What about the decision where their player smashed the ball into his team mates face? Player goes down while we've got the ball so ref stops play and restarts the game by dropping the ball to their player, who smashes it forward and starts an attack. How can that be right? It seemed to go unnoticed by the crowd and the players. 

Everyone round me noticed it and let the ref know

As has been said many times the standard of refereeing at this level is generally woeful and last night's ref was one of the worst we've had this season. It's really hard to understand how he could get so many things wrong, but I don't doubt he genuinely believed he was right at the time. It would be interesting to know what he thinks of his own performance if he watches the game on video.

On another note, I'm not buying the constantly trotted out phrases such as  'we didn't deserve to win that game' or 'Accrington bullied us and did their job better than we did' etc.

Overall, we were the better side by some distance and created far more chances to score, but ultimately failed to convert (not for the first time) I think the disappointment of not getting 3 points makes people say things and focus on what we didn't do well, rather than acknowledging the things we did. The poor performance of the ref added to that frustration and played a part in stopping our attempts to play football in a fluid way... That's football for you!

2 hours ago, Nut said:

It depends on the situation when he decided to stop play, not when he actually got the whistle to his mouth and blew it. We didn’t really have the ball either 

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I’ll pass on your comments. There’s no point arguing with the bloke though. He did used to be a ref after all! 

That means nothing. I know quite well 2 current football league officials. You’d be amazed how often they get points of law wrong. Or perhaps you wouldn’t 

On Saturday during the England v Ireland rugby International an England player was  sent off in the first couple of minutes. After the Referee patiently explained  to the player why he thought the contact was dangerous the player duly left  left the field without argument or dissent from him or the rest of the England team. Can you imagine if that had happened in football. The players would have surrounded the Ref screaming and swearing and the guilty player would have protested his innocence before reluctantly leaving the field. As my missus said these rugby lads are proper men. Its difficult to argue with her. Some of you on here who slaughter officials should be ashamed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 0114 said:

Very whistle happy.

But it’s funny how the referees are always terrible when Wednesday don’t play well…

I cant remember anyone complaining about the referee v lincoln.

We only complain about the referee when they are poor, win draw or lose

• Like 2
  • Haha 1