Fans leaving early

15 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Happens every week but 6-0 up and absolutely outstanding performance yet people leaving in the 80th minute onwards? Can anyone who leaves tell me why? Genuinely intrigued . Don’t you want to give the players a well deserved pat on the back etc

I think we've been down this road many times. There's plenty of other questions, why do fans boo a player one week then cheer him the next etc. However to answer your question and I'm sure there's other reasons as well. Its probably because they've got work to go to, or they are getting a lift and don't want to miss it, or they want to try to avoid the heavier traffic, or they feel a little safer walking out when there are less around, or it's a habit, or they get nervous at the end, or... .   Lots of reasons. I sit in the middle of the North Stand and when my Dad was alive he did it as he hated waiting so just wanted to beat the traffic, but what we did was move to the very last block of the NS with 5 minutes to go. I still do the same, on 85 mins I move there, occasionally use the toilet and then watch the last 5 mins from the corner of the North Stand. It saves me about 30 minutes in terms of how quickly I get home so to me its worth it. At away matches I stop and clap the team regardless (even at Sunderland). I also don't care when others leave, what's it matter, just like those that go for a pint on the 40th minute.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

And I still reckon the people who leave early see more of the game than the ones going for a beer on 30 mins.

The amount of people on 33 mins yesterday going down to the concourse, anybody who left with a few mins to go saw 6 goals, the ones going for a beer may have only seen 2 depending on when they got back to their seat.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Birstall Owl said:

And I still reckon the people who leave early see more of the game than the ones going for a beer on 30 mins.

The amount of people on 33 mins yesterday going down to the concourse, anybody who left with a few mins to go saw 6 goals, the ones going for a beer may have only seen 2 depending on when they got back to their seat.

sadly it’s the only way of getting served ready for the second half…the service on the north is poor. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S72 Owl said:

Only ever left a match early once. That was Ipswich away when we’d just signed Jeffers and we’re 3-0 down. 

Hate to see everyone leave early, also ruins it for the people still wanting to watch the match.

Imagine if there was a section where all those who turn up late, go for beers on 30 minutes, leave early etc HAD to sit

A full section of people bobbing up and down, interrupting everyone's game, walking in late, everyone having to stand up to accomodate each other's movements

Would be absolutely insane

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Owlstalk Shop

I left my seat on my 48 minutes to miss the crush in the toilets and missed the Byers goal! 😭 And it looked like a few Cambridge fans left just before halftime. But it definitely looks better for the team to be clapped off by a fuller stadium than a near empty one. In my teens, I used live on the other side of Sheffield and would live early to catch one of the buses that used to line up on Penistone Road. I would be home at half past five. Now I live 5 minutes away and clap the team off, wait for the crowd to disperse and be home for half past five. 😁

• Haha 1