Chris Maguire

20 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

He was OK for us, and I would have liked to have seen him in the side under Carlos. Think he'd have got the best out of him.

He got offered new deal on reduced terms. Can't really blame him for choosing to leave. Often our best player while He was here. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, malek said:

He got offered new deal on reduced terms. Can't really blame him for choosing to leave. Often our best player while He was here. 

Yah I don't blame him for leaving. We did similar with Sasso too offered him reduced terms and then he left so we had to get car crash Van Aken.

Would have been nice to see him stay and certainly would have been a better option than Helan, McGesdy and Sougou what we had that season.

• Like 3

To be fair I liked Maguire during his time here, as others have said he always gave 100% and was a proper sh!thouse towards opposition fans. Always remember that stoppage time goal against the Dingles. Wasn't it Dave Jones who originally signed him but never played him?

3 hours ago, prowl said:

He like to wind fans up, maybe that's why our fans boo'd him. He used to do it to opposition fans when he was here.

I wasn't there so I'm only guessing

No, he didn't wind us up. He was respectful. He was never my favourite player at Wednesday but I liked him and think he deserved an acknowledgement before the game at least. I wish as fans we were like that with a few more, I think we get on ex players backs too much. I'm probably completely in the minority of course but I'd even acknowledge George Hirst, he may one day play for us again and he's an Owl after all. I'd draw the line with players like Boothroyd of course.

• Thanks 1

I find the altering of the truth about Maguire odd to be honest.

For large spells of his time here he did nothing, under Jones he didn't play much and it was that thing of the best player is always the one not in the squad.

Gray got spells of decent form out of him and he provided one or two good moments in an otherwise average team.

Lets not pretend he'd have got in that 15/16 team, we offered him a deal that fitted a squad player which he declined. No great loss.

He'll have got booed because he's that kind of player, he likes the reaction, he enjoys playing the villain.

• Haha 1