Cuppies world championship 2022 (hypothetical)

We called it cuppies, I suspect that's derived from couples but we most often used to play cuppy singles, anyway the game was that it would be every man for themselves shooting into one net, if you scored you would go through to the next round. Each round would eliminate the player that didn't score. Probably everywhere called it a different name, anyway. Also no shots in the 6 yard box.

Anyway the worlds 30 best players on the pitch + Callum Paterson. The arena is Wembley stadium, I'm putting Keiran Westwood in net. Who wins? (some dodgy Allen Stanford type businessman is funding it)

28 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

We could set up a wall at the other end of the stadium and play a game of SPOT after. Double the fun. 

Never played cuppies though myself. 

what did you call a pile on of kids all just shooting into 1 net?

The first few rounds are ripe for the poachers

As the numbers dwindle down advantage would go for quicker players who would be first to the ball from a goal kick, and those that can shoot long

Centre halves would likely be the first to be eliminated 

I reckon winner would be a quicker player, who can beat a man, but would need a bit of strength - I'm going Ronaldo 

Yeah we called it Wembley too.

I'd go for Haaland to win it. When it gets down to the last 2-3, you still need to defend a bit if you don't get to the ball, Ronaldo would get skinned.

1 minute ago, 0742 said:

Yeah we called it Wembley too.

I'd go for Haaland to win it. When it gets down to the last 2-3, you still need to defend a bit if you don't get to the ball, Ronaldo would get skinned.

Who is fastest, Haaland or Ronaldo? in the final you're looking at Westwood kicking the ball out with 2 men left, advantage would be to whoever was nearest or if Westwood went long who would be quickest to the ball. From there the player has to beat his opponent and then score the one on one

One-a-side cuppies if there were three of you, two-a-side if you could manage five, although it was usually just two playing one-kick against a walk. Now that was a game.

The only thing we called Wembley was the ball, the king of footballs, heavy, dimpled and orange. Not the cheap black and white floaty air balls.

Wembley for the knockout game, 1 goal and you're through until the final which was 2 to win.

Headers and volleys growing up in Hull was called 10 down - basically if you scored 3 in a row you could move up a position and promotion, whereas if you missed you lost one place immediately. 

Used to waste hours in Meersbrook park playing against the fences there, doubt I'd last 5 minutes now - like all things in life!