Substitutions and 1st ever sub

3 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

It was David Ford, made his debut in the 1965–66 season against Sunderland on 23 October, coming off the bench to become the first ever substitute used by Wednesday in a League match and I was at the game.

Wish I had a memory like that, I don't even remember my first Wednesday match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

It was David Ford, made his debut in the 1965–66 season against Sunderland on 23 October, coming off the bench to become the first ever substitute used by Wednesday in a League match and I was at the game.

David Ford? Wasn't he in the team the last time we went abroad? With Jim McCalliog?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I would have been at that game too as that was the first year I had a season ticket...in the North with my dad and uncle.

Worth mentioning that for the first two seasons substitutes could only be used to replace an injured player; it wasn't until 1967/68 that they could be used for any reason. Also, although subs could be used in 1965/66 in league games you couldn't in the FA Cup. They could only be used from 1966/67 and our first one was Johnny Quinn.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 23:53, legendaryswan said:

Thank you, so much for that. My mate in Edinburgh said Ford, but couldn't remember the year.

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I am locked out of my account on two devices, since clearing my cookies etc to try and get some daft app working! Can only access it now on my old phone (8 year old Samsung, still doing the business!).

Looking forward to tomorrows game at Sincil Bank. Went there for the friendly, but last went in the league, back in 78 when we dipped 3-1, under big Jack.

Hoping for revenge on this season's home fixture. 2-0 would do me, but with Bannan's new found goal scoring, maybe 3 or 4 would be more like it!

UTO!

On 28/02/2022 at 09:23, fredmciverslovechild said:

I would have been at that game too as that was the first year I had a season ticket...in the North with my dad and uncle.

Worth mentioning that for the first two seasons substitutes could only be used to replace an injured player; it wasn't until 1967/68 that they could be used for any reason. Also, although subs could be used in 1965/66 in league games you couldn't in the FA Cup. They could only be used from 1966/67 and our first one was Johnny Quinn.

And in the semi final against Chelsea Vic Mobley got injured early on played on and i think that ruined his career

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 23:53, legendaryswan said:

Honours board 👍

On 28/02/2022 at 02:14, Ellis Rimmer said:

who was our 1000th sub ever used? did they win a special prize?

Beswetherick

He was subbed himself later on the game, so the fans could express their affection for him.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.