George Byers

2 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Early days I wasn't overly impressed.

But in the last run of games he seems to have morphed into a bigger version of Bannan.

Our current midfield has everything, the tackling in particular is superb.

I think we can afford to be a little optimistic for the coming months.

Don't want to come across as confrontational (swear I'm not), but I'm honestly amazed you didn't notice it early doors! He was clearly lacking fitness and sharpness, but he so clearly had talent, very good touch and moved the ball smartly, he just needed the minutes under his belt. Also from memory he was playing at the base of the midfield... which he clearly can do but is probably better as a 'ball shuffler' rather than a sitting player.

Anyway, regardless, I'm glad he's shown what I think we were all hoping he would offer. I'm still frightened half to death that both he and Luongo seem vulnerable to knocks and may break any minute, but I don't think anyone that says our current midfield 3 is a good Championship midfield is exaggerating 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Loved the big tackle he went in for in the second half.
I also love it when the opposition player gets up slightly slower after a big coming together.

The team did a few today and I love to see it , it’s a side to our game I think we’ve lacked for a few seasons. 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Don't want to come across as confrontational (swear I'm not), but I'm honestly amazed you didn't notice it early doors! He was clearly lacking fitness and sharpness, but he so clearly had talent, very good touch and moved the ball smartly, he just needed the minutes under his belt. Also from memory he was playing at the base of the midfield... which he clearly can do but is probably better as a 'ball shuffler' rather than a sitting player.

Anyway, regardless, I'm glad he's shown what I think we were all hoping he would offer. I'm still frightened half to death that both he and Luongo seem vulnerable to knocks and may break any minute, but I don't think anyone that says our current midfield 3 is a good Championship midfield is exaggerating 

Don't you worry, say what you like, that's the point of this isn't it, unless you over step the line, which you clearly haven't.

Anyway, I did think he was average at best when he first appeared for us, some good touches but a bit of a lightweight.

He has turned into a bit of a bruiser of late (that head on 50/50 tackle - ouch!) as well as a cultured midfielder, not to mention all the goals.

If he and Luongo can stay fit (I assume Bannan is unbreakable), we'll have quite possibly the best midfield in the championship, because that's where we're going.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Thought that aside from Hartlepool game He did well from the start, but credit to him he improved and got even better. 

Skilful, composed and inteligent midfielder who is not afraid to put his foot in and go for 50/50 challenge. Also, love how He adapted and added to his game those runs to the box and how it is paying of. 

People link him to Kieran Lee, but he reminds Me more of Glenn Whelan, not from his Stoke, but Wednesday days. 

I watched him play next to Matt Grimes at Swansea and wasn't impressed as he played service to Grimes and looked limite doing it. Also, watched him play attacking midfielder for Portsmouth and also wasn't impressed. 

Scram rates him highly and that was enough for Me to give him fair chance, and fair play to Moore for playing him in the role where he feels most comfortable and can give his best. That midfield of him, Bannan and Luongo is awesome and works like a well oiled machine, long may it continue. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s a good all round midfielder, whether by luck or judgement the balance that’s been created with Byers coming into the side even improves the performances of Bannan and Luongo.

Just needs to stay fit and will be a key player for us at the business end of the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

The new Kieron Lee. Hope he stays fit. Brings so much to the team and frees Baz up too. 

I've just quoted the exact same thing in another thread. What amazes me is he has only ever played 82 professional league games, according to Wiki. It seems way too low a figure based on his all round game play.

5 minutes ago, malek said:

Thought that aside from Hartlepool game He did well from the start, but credit to him he improved and got even better. 

Skilful, composed and inteligent midfielder who is not afraid to put his foot in and go for 50/50 challenge. Also, love how He adapted and added to his game those runs to the box and how it is paying of. 

People link him to Kieran Lee, but he reminds Me more of Glenn Whelan, not from his Stoke, but Wednesday days. 

I watched him play next to Matt Grimes at Swansea and wasn't impressed as he played service to Grimes and looked limite doing it. Also, watched him play attacking midfielder for Portsmouth and also wasn't impressed. 

Scram rates him highly and that was enough for Me to give him fair chance, and fair play to Moore for playing him in the role where he feels most comfortable and can give his best. That midfield of him, Bannan and Luongo is awesome and works like a well oiled machine, long may it continue. 

I’d agree plays in a very similar way to Whelan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought early in the season he looked like he had a higher pedigree than League 1 but the team was unsettled and new.

When Wing was recalled I said to a mate that I hoped it would give Byers a chance to step up, but I didn’t think he’d do this well.  Fast becoming a favourite.

• Like 1

I think Swansea signed him when they were in the PL, so whilst he didn’t play they clearly thought he was a prospect for that level. Glad he’s managed to get a bit of form together as that stopped him doing well at Portsmouth. 

He seems like a genuine all rounder at this level. A bit like what Glenn Whelan was for us, albeit probably not as tough

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

I think Swansea signed him when they were in the PL, so whilst he didn’t play they clearly thought he was a prospect for that level. Glad he’s managed to get a bit of form together as that stopped him doing well at Portsmouth. 

He seems like a genuine all rounder at this level. A bit like what Glenn Whelan was for us, albeit probably not as tough

Not sure. Bloke crunches into tackles.