Jack Hunt 'The pitch shouldn't be how it is"

15 hours ago, 0114 said:

Makes a good point about how long we didn’t play on the pitch. 7 weeks between Wycombe & Plymouth should have meant the pitch was in a very good condition. 

Would be very interesting to know why the pitch has deteriorated to the level it has. When you see United’s in top condition with literally the same weather as us and supposedly the same Desso pitch, it suggests that the upkeep of the Desso has been neglected. Wether that’s to do with cost or personnel? Who knows.

But what a shame that 6 years after spending £1m on a pitch it’s starting to look like it did back in 14/15.

TBH, Plenty of clubs have a new pitch each year.

Probably when it was redone, did we go deep enough re drainage etc.  Not a groundsmen but we always used to have a decent pitch, certainly one of the better onesie the league.

Guest Musttryharder

Not casting any blame on on someone particular, but since our last head groundsman left and replacemed by an extremely young and inexperienced one, the pitch as drastically taken a turn for the worse. These pitches take more looking after than your average lawn. I would expect specially formulated dressings / treatments etc to be applied as an ongoing process. Suitable machinery to be used. Do we have the correct type of machinery. Is the new head groundsman proficient in this type of care and treatment to a desso pitch. Something as drastically gone wrong with it that's for sure. Current drainage system could also be a factor. I'm sure if we get a constant abandonment of home games then the EFL will want to know why. 

The club do have lamps and have the commando plugs around the pitch (in corners in tunnel and on west and north stand ) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

TBH, Plenty of clubs have a new pitch each year.

Probably when it was redone, did we go deep enough re drainage etc.  Not a groundsmen but we always used to have a decent pitch, certainly one of the better onesie the league.

I said this on an previous thread - we let the first head groundsman leave to go to Doncaster it seems where he won grounds man of the year twice whilst there, he seemed the best person for the job as there was a big decline after he left and then now there has been a rapid decline. I can see this now costing us promotion!!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

The San Siro has a similar problem wi pitch. Being isolated & high sided it gets colder & when it's been rained on it messes the grass up. 

First time I've seen grow lamps was the San Siro.

Tour guide said they are on 24hrs a day..except match days.

Was surprised how crap the pitch looked...was November.

Just imagined it would be like a bowling green before seeing it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mannyowl said:

I said this on an previous thread - we let the first head groundsman leave to go to Doncaster it seems where he won grounds man of the year twice whilst there, he seemed the best person for the job as there was a big decline after he left and then now there has been a rapid decline. I can see this now costing us promotion!!

I think you’ll find he left under a very black cloud and the following groundsman was left to pick the pieces up. He did win the pitch of the year, but comparing our pitch to Doncaster’s is chalk and cheese. 

• Like 1