Jump to content

Mark Hughes


Recommended Posts

Was looking like a promising manager in his earlier days at Blackburn, was never going to cut the mustard at City once they were bought out.

 

I think he made the wrong career choices after that, the whole Fulham episode with him resigning and leaving after a season to go QPR was weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Didnt he come into City after the money arrived or have I remembered that incorrectly? 

 

Pearce when they were bought, Sven (he heard a suitcase full of money opening) and then Hughes. 

Just had a look.

 

He came in before the big money. and lasted just over a year. He joined June 2008 and takeover was September 2008.

 

Svan was also before the big money, he was the takeover beforehand. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Just had a look.

 

He came in before the big money. and lasted just over a year. He joined June 2008 and takeover was September 2008.

 

Svan was also before the big money, he was the takeover beforehand. 

 

 

Ahh ok that makes more sense. I remember his stock was pretty high for a time but thought it odd that he was that highly regarded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Ahh ok that makes more sense. I remember his stock was pretty high for a time but thought it odd that he was that highly regarded. 

 

He was the most expensive manager in football at the time when City took him from Blackburn.

He was great at Blackburn took them from facing relegation to 7th when he left. 

 

I remember the talk at the time of him possibly being the first ex Fergie player to go on and be a great manager, but he kind of fell away after his first few seasons at Stoke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Didnt he come into City after the money arrived or have I remembered that incorrectly? 

 

Pearce when they were bought, Sven (he heard a suitcase full of money opening) and then Hughes. 

Sven was brought in under the previous owner I think he was a Thai bloke. They were starting to spend some money that season but it was when Hughes got the job that the current owners took over and were throwing serious money around notably signing Robinho on deadline day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...