Will Chansiri’s penny pinching cost us promotion ?

4 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Thanks for the info re the growing lights. Not living close to the ground I can take your word for it 100%

regarding the under soil heating I have no idea if it’s been switched on. Hence why I put it as a question. 

supporting the club without supporting Chansiri is not a crime nor a harbinger of doom. 

The undersoil heating will only be switched on when there is a heavy frost I should think Andy, and then it will enable the heat lamps to do their job with keeping the grass growing so to speak. So far the heat lamps to work the undersoil heating will have to be on to keep the grass from freezing

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

True

All part of buying and owning a business tho

Hopefully he can get it right - at which point he can sell and make zillions of pounds on the deal 

Totally agree but when money is tight you have to choose where to make savings or to keep investment to the bare minimum required. It seems that he has chosen the pitch (rightly or wrongly)

• Like 2

An odd one with the 'Pitch lamps'.

I read a lively debate about their use on twitter the other evening. 

Couple of chaps saying they had been under covers in the carpark for 6 months unused. No point having them. Etc etc.

That from their house they could see they were never on. They walked past every day, never on.

Then others saying they also lived near by and could them glowing on an almost daily basis.

Two more reputable poster on here saying the same today.

And there's the rub. Eye witness accounts are so variable. So who is right, and who is, ahem, 'mistaken'? 

Who knows unless we see it with out own eyes.

564442755_Hillsborough12_01_2022.jpg.e2d569a54c0d39fca52fff061efc83f6.jpg

Oh

• Like 3

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

An odd one with the 'Pitch lamps'.

I read a lively debate about their use on twitter the other evening. 

Couple of chaps saying they had been under covers in the carpark for 6 months unused. No point having them. Etc etc.

That from their house they could see they were never on. They walked past every day, never on.

Then others saying they also lived near by and could them glowing on an almost daily basis.

Two more reputable poster on here saying the same today.

And there's the rub. Eye witness accounts are so variable. So who is right, and who is, ahem, 'mistaken'? 

Who knows unless we see it with out own eyes.

564442755_Hillsborough12_01_2022.jpg.e2d569a54c0d39fca52fff061efc83f6.jpg

Oh

We have limited available unlike Spurs who can put them the entire length and breadth of their pitch. We must be using them otherwise the pitch would be in an even worse state (yes it is possible) than it is now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ANDY said:

With the million pound pitch being in such a sorry state due to lack of investment. 

floodlight bulbs being removed so we just scrape through the correct level of luminousness (is that a word). 

im sure there are other examples of frugality that affect the day to day running of the club 

will it cost us promotion 

discuss 

Luminosity?

Just throwing it out there 

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

That’s just wrong mate ……… One of our mates is part of the team of grounds people who look after both!

Then I stand corrected, I was told that there are only 2 full time employed staff by the club and the rest of the team are made up of placements form horticultural / grounds keeping college courses ,  the information came from somebody doing a placement there,  he was obviously mistaken as per the set up .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Owl999 said:

Then I stand corrected, I was told that there are only 2 full time employed staff by the club and the rest of the team are made up of placements form horticultural / grounds keeping college courses ,  the information came from somebody doing a placement there,  he was obviously mistaken as per the set up .

Definitely more than 2 full timers. A friend of mine works on the ground maintenance team and he is employed by the club.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

That is because we have one of the biggest incomes in the league, and of course we cannot spend any money at all on transfer fees unlike other teams.  It isn't really' allowing' anything - it is just a reflection of the high revenue we have compared to the rest of the league.

But he could have saved that high revenue and gave the manager a smaller budget? 

1 hour ago, owlsdreamer said:

Under soil heating being turned on.?

depends whether the boiler got fixed I I presume.
just like details of injuries…..nothing

Do you seriously think that undersoil heating prevents waterlogging?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, St Ives owls said:

Why is everyone hell-bent on knowing the smallest details of running the club ?

Tescos don’t send out a detailed day to day running of their business with its club card statements 🤷‍♂️

Everyone is different mate 

Dont worry about others having different needs or opinions or want

Embrace it 

Its what makes the world go round 

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, millo said:

Do you seriously think that undersoil heating prevents waterlogging?

Surely if they crank it up to the maximum boiler shaking temperature, we could create a massive sauna for the players, staff and season ticket holders whilst drying out all the excess moisture, it would be like a deep steam clean for the ground and may even peel the presto paint off the west stand roof 

A win win situation for everyone if ever i saw one 

Darren was pretty clear, open and honest about the pitch/lights only the other day:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/owls-shadow-theory-confirmed-as-fight-goes-on-to-repair-sodden-pitch-3575369

Moore told The Star: “The groundstaff have always illustrated here at Wednesday that where the stand is, we don’t get as much of the sunlight on there.

“We’ve got these heat lamps that are almost constantly on. It’s not just this season, it’s been over many seasons. What they are for is to encourage the grass to grow.

“At the same time, it’s been challenging with the weather we’ve had over this time. It’s been difficult to get those lights on the pitch. The example I’d give is that it’s impossible to get them out there today [Friday] because of the wind and the rain. It would just destroy a really expensive piece of equipment.

“We’ve got enough equipment to cover that area, but we can’t get them on.

“Once the weather eases and the wind dies down and it’s dryer, we can get them on the pitch and that will help the grass on that side to grow.

“It’s always been a difficulty at the club and we continue to monitor that. Hopefully that can iron out one or two of the concerns the supporters have.”

No rumour, no conjecture with a negative spin, actual facts.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Paul.. said:

Darren was pretty clear, open and honest about the pitch/lights only the other day:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/owls-shadow-theory-confirmed-as-fight-goes-on-to-repair-sodden-pitch-3575369

No rumour, no conjecture with a negative spin, actual facts.

I get that. But why are some floodlight units not working. 

A) bulbs gone

2) faulty

C) bulb removed 

if the answer is A or 2 then replace/repair

if the answer is C then the question needs asking as to why. 

is it to save on the leccy bill ?  Has DM asked for the lux (👍@holmowl) to be turned down ?

28 minutes ago, ANDY said:

I get that. But why are some floodlight units not working. 

A) bulbs gone

2) faulty

C) bulb removed 

if the answer is A or 2 then replace/repair

if the answer is C then the question needs asking as to why. 

is it to save on the leccy bill ?  Has DM asked for the lux (👍@holmowl) to be turned down ?

Ever since I was a wee nipper (and I'm 45 now), there has always been some of the bulbs not working - going back to when the floodlights were on the pylons. I remember asking my dad the very same question. I presume that they are rotated, but that is me guessing. All I do know is that it has always happened.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1