I think if Joao had signed for another club other than us he would be playing in the Prem now.

We seriously misused Joao in almost every season other than half a season under Jos where he played upfront consistently.

Carlos never gave Joao a run of games and often played him left wing. He also took forever to bring him on in the playoff final when we desperately needed a goal. 

We then signed Rhodes to push him even further down the pecking order despite him being head and shoulders above Rhodes in all departments (the Rhodes post Blackburn).

We really did ruin his early career really. Since he’s gone to Reading and been played CF week in week out he’s now one of the best strikers at that level. Any Championship side would now want/sign him. 

51 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

I think if Joao had signed for another club other than us he would be playing in the Prem now.

We seriously misused Joao in almost every season other than half a season under Jos where he played upfront consistently.

Carlos never gave Joao a run of games and often played him left wing. He also took forever to bring him on in the playoff final when we desperately needed a goal. 

We then signed Rhodes to push him even further down the pecking order despite him being head and shoulders above Rhodes in all departments (the Rhodes post Blackburn).

We really did ruin his early career really. Since he’s gone to Reading and been played CF week in week out he’s now one of the best strikers at that level. Any Championship side would now want/sign him. 

To be fair Joao came into a club with serious promotion ambitions, and I can't remember any other clubs in the Champ being in for him, we actually gave him a huge opportunity.

He started well but faded, 'Head in the clouds' Carlos said about him, and that's from a fellow countryman. 

We couldn't afford to wait around for him to come good with a breadth of attacking talent waiting in the wings to take his place. Maybe if we were ambitionless mid table fodder we could have afforded him that time, but we couldn't.

The Rhodes signing was a catastrophe but more-so for Winnall who came into the club in fantastic form. He was the biggest casualty

• Like 3

Seem to remember that Joao was getting talked up a lot in regards to a possible national team call up when he was playing well with us. It was after that he took his eye off the ball, his form dipped and Carlos then came out and said about his head being in the clouds.

Good player when hes on it, just never got and stayed on it when he was with us. Partly due to bad use and management of him, but also partly due to lack of application on his own part at times.

sadly he did nowt really while he was here and is just another in a list of woulda, coulda, shoulda players for us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

Seem to remember that Joao was getting talked up a lot in regards to a possible national team call up when he was playing well with us. It was after that he took his eye off the ball, his form dipped and Carlos then came out and said about his head being in the clouds.

He did get 1 or 2 caps. Didnt he?

• Like 1

I mean it does make me laugh that any fan of a League 1 Sheff Wed could say 'no too injury prone' to a player whose likely next move is a top championship club regardless of injuries this season. 

Blokes scored 19 goals in the Champ last season, and 5 in 11 games this season, 4 in his last 4. 

We've only got 1 player whos scored more than that in League 1 this season.

We always knew there was a player in there just consistency that he was missing. It’s a shame we had a bloated strike force he never got the proper run of games he needed. 

22 goal season followed by 6 months out injured, Reading have experienced both the highs and the lows already! 

It was a good bit of business selling him, we needed the money and I still don’t think he could have kept us up last season anyway. Hoping he can stay fit, has all the attributes a PL club would want in a striker, plus that 25% sell on fee would be very welcome. 

I watched him in Readings game at Peterborough last week and he gave the typical Joao performance we saw so often at Wednesday. He didn't look interested most of the time and didn't put much effort in.

Yes he can produce occasional moments of genius but he's not what you want in a battle. You need all 11 on the pitch giving 100% and pulling in the same direction.

It would be a no from me.

• Like 1

The guys got talent and ability for sure, but getting the best out of him consistently was an issue we had and something that Reading and any other club will do too. Best described as patchy rather than consistent. 

That said, with a 25% sell on, i wish him the very best. I also hope Real Madrid lose all sense and tabe a £100m + bid :Chansiri: