How do you really feel about the part time fans?

On 20/02/2022 at 11:18, Gob_Bluth said:

You mean fairweather, not plastic.

The idea we have plastic glory hunting fans is ridiculous

I'm a season ticket holder but still dislike night games especially when it's cold and windy , so I'm also a Fairweather fan 😃

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, shandypants said:

Yes. Of course it is. You don’t get a full appreciation of the game (as you miss positioning and movement) but you do get significantly more appreciation than you would if you don’t watch the match at all. 

BTW, the “expert” I know forms his opinion on the Owls from social media and Football Heaven. He argues for players to be dropped telling me how bad they are, what they have and haven’t done and how they should improve. I don’t mind such Owls fans making general comments, it’s just when they talk with “authority” that drives me nuts. 

Anyone who talks like an opinion is a fact bugs me. I cant stand Pat Nevin as a pundit for that reason. 

People call them plastic fans 

there's a number of reasons why sone fans stay away more 

work commitments they don’t want to keep putting holidays in for 

rather spend time with their children and loved ones 

can’t afford the costs every week so are selective for the bigger games 

lack of interest and entertainment from Sheffield wednesday over the years 

fell out of love with the club 

dusgruntled over chansiri tenure. 

all valid reasons for fans to stay away watching football at a game is basically asking you to give up your time and disposable income for some that’s high priority for others it isn’t and who do you blame? 

personally I think clubs could still do more to reach out and get youth more involved our next generation 

engagement and entertainment is key as us value for money the problem comes with 

what the club sees as value for money and what they need to generate to what people are willing to pay to return 

• Like 2

March 2020

We'd been destroyed at home by Norwich 5-0 (I think)

We then get done 3-0 by Derby at home not long after. My lad who was ten at the time wanted to go if Derby scored another. We left anyway at half time as let's face it, that game was over and done with.

We then got dicked 5-0?? away at Brentford the following week.

I'd had a season ticket then for the last 9 years.

Chansiri was/is running the club into the ground and had made the statement about how the season ticket funds basically covered nothing and we weren't really needed. 

So, I didn't renew and to be honest, apart from a couple of times this season, haven't really missed it. I'm now out of the habit of going. I went to the first game in at home in August as I want to keep my record of going every season I can for the last 33 years.

I can afford to, but choose not to because it was so so dire. Who knows when I'll be back on the kop?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hirstysfags said:

Who knows when I'll be back on the kop?

Aren't you tempted now while we are on a winning run and the mood in general is good?

17 hours ago, GermanBird said:

Aren't you tempted now while we are on a winning run and the mood in general is good?

I have been once or twice. I live in Wadsley so the crowd noise rumbles up the hill. I had a power nap with the windows open a couple of weeks ago when they scored 4 and missed it then.  

• Love 1

On 23/02/2022 at 11:54, fpowl said:

People call them plastic fans 

there's a number of reasons why sone fans stay away more 

work commitments they don’t want to keep putting holidays in for 

rather spend time with their children and loved ones 

can’t afford the costs every week so are selective for the bigger games 

lack of interest and entertainment from Sheffield wednesday over the years 

fell out of love with the club 

dusgruntled over chansiri tenure. 

all valid reasons for fans to stay away watching football at a game is basically asking you to give up your time and disposable income for some that’s high priority for others it isn’t and who do you blame? 

personally I think clubs could still do more to reach out and get youth more involved our next generation 

engagement and entertainment is key as us value for money the problem comes with 

what the club sees as value for money and what they need to generate to what people are willing to pay to return 

Dont forget the distance travelled too!

I remember once travelling to the game with the GF (she's now my wife....jesus )

Total cost for the day was well over £100 (around 20 years ago) all in

I remember we lost to Charlton, it was a terrible performance reet laugh!

It's alright for those who live locally and can afford to go. I live in 170 miles and certainly don't have much spare cash. But I've been a Wednesdayite for the past 50+ years and would object to anyone who thinks I'm a part-time supporter.

I know people who flipflop who they support depending on how well they're doing. Now that's a part-time supporter.

But people like me - wherever they are, whether they attend in person or not - who stick with Wednesday through the ups and downs - we're certainly not part-time.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

It's alright for those who live locally and can afford to go. I live in 170 miles and certainly don't have much spare cash. But I've been a Wednesdayite for the past 50+ years and would object to anyone who thinks I'm a part-time supporter.

I know people who flipflop who they support depending on how well they're doing. Now that's a part-time supporter.

But people like me - wherever they are, whether they attend in person or not - who stick with Wednesday through the ups and downs - we're certainly not part-time.

There no doubt will be more part time fans now, specially with living costs going up, I can't make many games cos of this, plus like yourself I live just outside London in Borehamwood, so I need to prioritise the more important things, and no way Wednesday is top of that list, so I try to make some away games not far from me, ie Charlton, MK Dons, Wimbledon etc etc

• Like 3