Man of the match & Ratings- Doncaster (A)

Man of the match   

353 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Brennan
    • Johnson
    • Luongo
    • Storey
    • Palmer
    • Hunt
    • Byers
    • Kamberi
    • Sow
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Berahino
    • Gibson

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Pretty much how I saw it.

Was it Luongo or Byers who conceded the penalty? WS have it down as Luongo with the foul. I thought it was Byers coming in from the side.

I thought both of them fouled their player.

As stonewall a penalty you'll see...two fouls in one!

• Like 1

First time I’ve ever voted for a sub as MotM.

Byers and Johnson were good, but the half time subs changed the game. Pato was his usual self whilst Berahino was all we hoped for, but haven’t even had a glimpse of prior to today. Fingers crossed it’s not a one off.

• Like 2

Weird weird game. So poor almost abysmal level for 70 minutes then outstanding for the last 25.  Well done boys for coming back from behind. Took a bit of bottle!

BPF 7 one excellent save in the second half

Brennan 6 did ok. He’s definitely a prospect 

Storey 8 brilliant defender. Just gets on with it

Palmer 7 did ok

Hunt 7 really attacking well at the moment. Some decent corners too

Byers 6 a bit quiet yesterday. Some silly tackles too. Gives us excellent balance

Luongo 8 he’s amazing. Far too good for this league. I took a point off of both him and Byers for the stupid penalty 

Bannan 8 brilliant goal and pulled the strings as usual. Just get him OFF penalties 

Johnson 7.5 hard to score. Shocking first half but brilliant in the second. He’s excellent going forward 

Sow 4 very poor. Awful header too

Kamberi 3 I wish people would listen. He’s RUBBISH! And FFS learn the offside rule!

Paterson 7 such a brave header. He’s not a striker but everyone needs a Paterson in their squads.

Berahino 8 really pleased for him. He’s been poor but he was excellent. Great touch, held the ball up and a brilliant finish. Now keep it up!

Gibson 7 did very well. Strong in the air and good on the floor

Moore 8 excellent substitutions. Well done!

Lets win on Tuesday and really push on!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Peacock-Farrell - 7 - Couple of decent saves, one piece of brave goalkeeping to shut down a real chance at the back stick.

Brennan - 7 - Yet again, came in and did a sound job. Looks very much a first team player, confident. Couple of careless losses of possession, but on the whole, a decent defensive display.

Storey - 8 - Tremendous. Seemed to win everything in the air. He's been brilliant since he's come into the side, and looked very good at RCB...but playing in the centre is where his strengths are at. Top performance.

Palmer - 7 - Did alright, like Brennan, couple of poor passes which produced Doncaster turnovers, but on the whole, decent. Demonstrated his versatility once again, by switching over to the right hand side.

Hunt - 7 - Better 1st half than 2nd, but he's just Mr. Consistent at the minute.

Johnson - 9 - Man of the Match - Thought he was one of brighter sparks in the 1st half, but was unplayable in the 2nd half. Two assists, and involved in the other goal. His ability to whip an early ball in, balanced with a desire to commit his defender makes him a menace to defend against. Superb.

Luongo - 7 - Probably his worst game since his return, but given I've awarded him a 7, just shows how high his standards have been. Did his usual graft and hard work, won tackles and kept things ticking...just felt he was sloppier than enough in possession today.

Byers - 8 - Best player on the park by a country mile in the 1st half, just looks full of confidence at the minute. Didn't stand out as much in the 2nd half, simply because the rest of the side stepped up. 

Bannan - 8 - He was everywhere today. Created our best chance in the 1st half, took his goal brilliantly well. Led by example. But, we need Gregory back as penalty taker...against Wigan, Bannan wanted Paterson to take it, Paterson didn't want it, so Bannan stepped up. But he doesn't look or instill confidence and it shows.

Kamberi - 5 - Things didn't go for him today. Worked hard enough, but his touch was off, and snatched the half chance he was given.

Sow - 5 - Like Kamberi, struggled to make an impact, despite making himself a nuisance. 

Paterson - 7 - After a poor display against Rotherham, he responded really positively. Made a difference physically, and looked after the ball much better than Kamberi did. And although, technically, he's often pretty sub-standard, I don't think anything Wednesday player scores that 1st goal...the bravery he displayed to put his head in where it hurts was above and beyond.

Berahino - 8 - I said last week, that Berahino could prove to be a real asset in the run-in, and if we can get him into some sort of form, he could provide that goal threat we are sadly lacking at the minute. When he came on today, he looked up for it, and you could see the confidence begin to ooze from him as the half progressed. Took his goal brilliantly well, with a slight dip of the shoulder, and an emphatic finish. The touch in the lead up to the 3rd goal was sublime.

Gibson - 7 - Looked like he'd played all season. Comfortable, defended as well as he needed to, and didn't brilliantly for Berahino's goal. Another player who could provide a key difference in the run-in.

Overall...

First half, i thought we played well up until the 18 yard box, and we just looked pretty toothless. It was almost too easy to us, and as a result, we became lethargic in our play and lacked that intensity to cause Doncaster issues.

The penalty, and two inspired subs by Darren Moore, gave us the impetus we needed. Even before the goal, we played with more tempo and urgency to our play, but it's natural to lack belief after watching Wednesday for this long. 

However, once we got that goal, we just got better and better, and there's no denying Doncaster are simply abysmal, and in the end won at an absolute canter.

Given our injury issues, we just need to keep ticking these games off, and collecting as many points as possible on the way, keeping ourselves in the mix, in the hope that we'll gradually keep getting stronger as the season progresses. We've still got enough quality available to us, to compete with any team in this division.

This is pretty accurate 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

First game Ive missed this season……delivering child number 4 to Uni halls in Wellington. Empty nest and all that…….

So important we bounced back from that Rotherham fixture and the postponement, add to that even more injuries and it’s impressive indeed. We’ll done DM and the players.

Tell the truth you forgot to set the alarm.lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Whoever has laughed at that clearly doesn’t understand football. He was head and shoulders above anyone on that pitch.

Anyone who thinks Bannan was MOM needs to give their head a wobble.  Absolutely astounds me how anyone who knows anything about football thought he was the best on the pitch.  

During the game I was thinking that and knew the usual Bannan lovers would be all over him after his goal. 

He was anonymous for large parts, played poor balls and was often the reason our attacking play fell apart.  

Can’t fault his work rate at the end but he wasn’t anywhere near MOM. 

Love the skipper but really winds me up when people rate him the best when he was no where near. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

We have come a long way, earlier in the season we would have collapsed. Great result and individual performances.

Gibson, Storey and Palmer look good, where on earth do we put Lofra, Hutch and Dunkley when they are fit

Also pleased for Berahino looks a different player lets hope he kicks on. Darren said he was looking sharp. Looks like Sow and Kamberi have dropped down pecking order.

We need to get more men in the box, those crosses from Johnson are the best we have seen for ages

MOM : Johnson- superb

BPF 7.5

Palmer 7

Storey  8

Brennan 6.5

Byers 7.5

Bannan  8

Luongo 7.5

Johnson 8

Kamberi 4.5

Sow 4.5

Gibson 8

Berahino 8

Paterson 8

Hunt? 

I beg my pardon. What about Jack Hunt?

Peacock-Farrell - 7 - Good distribution and looked assured.  Made a cracking save from the deflected shot. 

Brennan - 7 - Solid.  Can’t fault him defending.  A few good runs but some sloppy passes. 

Storey - 8 - I haven’t rated him as much as others but he was great today.  Best game for us. 

Palmer - 7 - Lovely forward runs and decent defending but played us into trouble twice with misplaced passes. 

Hunt - 7 - Decent yet again.  Some good crosses but faded late. 

Johnson - 8 - Very poor first half.  Looked tired and lacked effort.  Was miles better second half where he had freedom on the wing.  A constant threat and integral to the goals. 

Luongo - 8 - Solid.  Owns the centre of the pitch and a lovely roulette turn out of trouble.  He’s too good for the league. 

Byers - 8 - Full of confidence but lacking the final ball.  We’ve got a good one here. 

Bannan - 6 - Worst performance for a long time.  I watched him closely and he gave the ball away all the time for 75 mins and was anonymous most of the game.  Came alive late and got his goal but was a liability before then.  He has his moments but a bit of a stinker.  Last 10 mins pushed his score up.  

Kamberi - 4 - Touch has deserted him and so has his shooting.

Sow - 4 - Poor.  The front two didn’t click with each other and didn’t threaten. 

Paterson - 7 - He’s perfect for a scrap against lower opposition.  Good goal and utter commitment as always. 

Berahino - 9 - MOM.  Looked far far too good for the league.  Changed the game with great passes and movement.  Goal was class and then his confidence showed with little flicks that set us off time and again. 

Gibson - 8 - Based on his cameo, he’s the best defender we have.  Strong and great assist too.  Easily won every challenge and was far better than anyone on the pitch apart from Berahino.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bez said:

Anyone who thinks Bannan was MOM needs to give their head a wobble.  Absolutely astounds me how anyone who knows anything about football thought he was the best on the pitch.  

During the game I was thinking that and knew the usual Bannan lovers would be all over him after his goal. 

He was anonymous for large parts, played poor balls and was often the reason our attacking play fell apart.  

Can’t fault his work rate at the end but he wasn’t anywhere near MOM. 

Love the skipper but really winds me up when people rate him the best when he was no where near. 

Hope you've got your tin hat ready 

Edited by Luke
  • Haha 1

Great team performance and for them to show desire to come back and finally get rid of that horrible stat must be a huge weight lifted, especially for fans!

I felt Berahino needs to take his chance and boy he did! Next game I would start him and Paterson, both must be confident. Great to see Gibson who looks a player.

Well done team and well done Moore on the subs!

First half thought the midfield were doing some nice passing but very little penetration, became more influential in the second half.

Patersons goal was just what we needed and really spurred us on.

BPF.             7

Brennan.     5.5

Storey.         8.5.     MoM

Palmer.        6.5

Johnson.     8

Bannan.       7.5

Luongo.       7

Byers.          6.5

Hunt.            6

Sow.             5

Kamberi.     4.5

Paterson.     7

Berahino.     7

BPF    7    -    Couple of good saves

Palmer    6    -    Got better as game went on

Storey    8    -    Hats off the lad has been great overall , DM deserves credit for finding him as we give him plenty of stick when he gets it wrong

Brennan    6    -    OK ish , we looked instantly better when Gibson came on

Hunt     7    -    Playing very steadily and consistently of late

Luongo    6    -    A bit quiet by his recent standards

Byers    7.5    -    Another one who is playing consistently well 

Bannan    8    -    Class act , needs removing from penalty duty however.........."better without him you say?"....i can think of 23 other managers in this division who would gladly take him

Johnson    8    -    Really came alive 2nd half after dodgy first half

Sow    5    -   Started brightly but faded really badly

Kamberi    4    -    Awful , 2nd touch a tackle

SUBS

Paterson    -    6.5    Better than last week , which wasn`t hard TBF , brave header to get us going

Gibson    -   8     Just a little cameo against the leagues bottom team but there was a hell of a lot to like about it

Berahino    -    8.5    Just nicks it for me , completely altered the game after our appalling lack of first half firepower.........all down to the bloke himself now he has set the bar......how basdy does he want it ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hope you've got your tin hat ready 

Its getting a bit pathetic tbh.   During the game I knew there would be the usual Bannan love in despite the poor performance.  

Surprise surprise, come on here and loads of people ignored his play and auto awarded him the MOM 

Im sure it’s a condition.  I’ve rewatched the game today and I’m even more convinced that he had a poor match that people want to ignore. 

• Like 2