Big six" sink PL's attempted reforms

darra

1 minute ago, HighworthOwl said:

You don't work at UEFA now do you? 

Its a good point teams like Deportivo in the mid/early 90s would have been favourites against any English team in Europe. 

Haha and if it happened then Deportivo may well have been in it and relevant to this day. That’s why anyone who can wants to be amongst it cos they are motivated by money.

in the USA it’s like $100 dollars to watch a Ppv, the none traditional football fans from here and Asia have money to spend and they couldn’t give a damn about the history of the game they just wanna see big stars face each other they’d much rather watch Chelsea V Munich than a domestic league game.

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Haha and if it happened then Deportivo may well have been in it and relevant to this day. That’s why anyone who can wants to be amongst it cos they are motivated by money.

in the USA it’s like $100 dollars to watch a Ppv, the none traditional football fans from here and Asia have money to spend and they couldn’t give a damn about the history of the game they just wanna see big stars face each other they’d much rather watch Chelsea V Munich than a domestic league game.

Well they should just make their own ******** game then.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

When i lived in the USA it was insane coverage. 

Most games on TV, even the Saturday pm ones, and all CL games. If anything easier to watch games there. 

I still see the future being a Netflix style subscription only thing that the PL runs as its own and gives even more power to the elite

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

When i lived in the USA it was insane coverage. 

Most games on TV, even the Saturday pm ones, and all CL games. If anything easier to watch games there. 

I still see the future being a Netflix style subscription only thing that the PL runs as its own and gives even more power to the elite

Same. 

I think the NFL has it's season pass or something like that. The influence of the NFL on the PL and vice versa is there for all to see. 

Truth be told, the current tv rights model seems a bit outdated and antiquated given how so many people tend to consume content, whether it is live or not. 

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Well, that's not necessarily up to them, now, is it?

No it's not but they will want to muscle in and their supporters are already looking to them being in Europe in next few seasons.

Just their luck this closed shop could rob them of it. Newcastle finish 3rd Man utd in 6th or 7th. "Sorry Newcastle you co efficient is not good enough"

Newcastle's beloved reputation as a big club with lots of passionate fans only has any meaning in the context of UK football and actual real football supporters.

It means literally nothing to these American money men and 'Fans of the Future', most of whom will have barely heard of Newcastle.

7 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Well, that's not necessarily up to them, now, is it?

The top clubs in the PL have already tried to stop them once and I have no doubt will look to throw more obstacles in their way going forward. 

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The top clubs in the PL have already tried to stop them once and I have no doubt will look to throw more obstacles in their way going forward. 

This should have been a much bigger story than it was. Don't get me wrong I'm not keen on Saudi money in the game but the attempt to block this by the current money clubs was pretty incredible. 

Spurs of all clubs trying to step in and block competition. 

The "Champions" league final between Tottenham and Liverpool was hilarious. At the time it had been 30 years since Liverpool won the league (30 years of hurt if you ever have the misfortune of listening to one of there fans bleat on) and Spurs hadn't won it since the 1960s! 

1 minute ago, HighworthOwl said:

This should have been a much bigger story than it was. Don't get me wrong I'm not keen on Saudi money in the game but the attempt to block this by the current money clubs was pretty incredible. 

Spurs of all clubs trying to step in and block competition. 

The "Champions" league final between Tottenham and Liverpool was hilarious. At the time it had been 30 years since Liverpool won the league (30 years of hurt if you ever have the misfortune of listening to one of there fans bleat on) and Spurs hadn't won it since the 1960s! 

Yes, that was all very dodgy. 

The top clubs were trying to stop another club from becoming another potential challenger. They do not want another City emerging. 

In terms of that Champs League final, could Liverpool have handpicked a better opponent to win that cup? 

If I was desperate to get a trophy and I had to play one "big"gish club to win the thing, then Spurs would be my top choice. 

I watched the Big Match revisted the other week Southampton v Man Utd in the 6th round of the FA cup a re run of the previous years final played on a dry bare bobbly pitch, i was 10 when that match was played remembered all the players and i thought thats the game i grew up to love, it's now become overhyped can't give a monkeys about the games traditions, Man Utd fought hard for the replay got it and went on to win it that year, now it would be played in midweek with a penalty shoot out just because the top clubs don't want to play to many games

Yes fizz the modern game or am I  just a boring old gimmer 🙄

• Like 3