The 1st 1 million pounds a week footballer

Geedee

34 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, I hate it when my friends who support Man U, Liverpool try to talk to me about Wednesday.

They don't know anything and frankly why would they? 

Conversely, I can probably talk to them about their clubs with as much authority as they can. After all, it is hard not to know pretty much everything that goes off with the top clubs given the wall to wall coverage.

Yeh I've got a mate who is a 'massive' Man Utd fan that knows far less about them than I do. 

Another friend I recall 'one step beyond' came on in a bar we were in, he was a Chelsea fan I thought he'd get excited but it literally meant nothing to him.

You often hear 'so and so is a massive Liverpoo/Man Utd etc fan' 'he'd love to go one day' as though it's something not in the realms of possibility.

I have spoke to some proper Man Utd fans before, they go to watch them, and are from that way. They're actually interesting to talk to because you're speaking to a Man Utd fan that isn't an arm chair fan, it messes with your mind. 

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh I've got a mate who is a 'massive' Man Utd fan that knows far less about them than I do. 

Another friend I recall 'one step beyond' came on in a bar we were in, he was a Chelsea fan I thought he'd get excited but it literally meant nothing to him.

You often hear 'so and so is a massive Liverpoo/Man Utd etc fan' 'he'd love to go one day' as though it's something not in the realms of possibility.

I have spoke to some proper Man Utd fans before, they go to watch them, and are from that way. They're actually interesting to talk to because you're speaking to a Man Utd fan that isn't an arm chair fan, it messes with your mind. 

The people who support the Premier League big clubs who actually go to the games I do have some respect for.

They are at least taking time, trouble and money to go.

Its the ones who have a big club as some sort of fashion accessory that I think that annoy people.

Although I do know that getting tickets for the big clubs it's not very straight forward.

Just said this in another thread but Wednesday have been crap on the field for 20 years now but I have still got a lot more out of it than any armchair fan of a big club who has won loads of trophies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The people who support the Premier League big clubs who actually go to the games I do have some respect for.

They are at least taking time, trouble and money to go.

Its the ones who have a big club as some sort of fashion accessory that I think that annoy people.

Although I do know that getting tickets for the big clubs it's not very straight forward.

Just said this in another thread but Wednesday have been crap on the field for 20 years now but I have still got a lot more out of it than any armchair fan of a big club who has won loads of trophies.

It's hard to get to big games or PL but in champions league/league cup etc it's a lot easier. I knew a glory fan but S/T holder and anyone that knew him could easily get to a game as he was always dying to sell league cup/fa cup/champions league games because Man Utd automatically bill you for those games. If you don't like that then they can sell your S/T to somebody else lol 

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Those few fleeting moments of success just end up meaning more.

I'll celebrate a promotion from League One far more than my mate will when they win the bloody Champions League.

At the end of the day, these casual top club fans are supporting these sides because they win lots of stuff. There is rarely any connection to it outside of that.

Stepbrother who is in his early 20s is a City fan. Tbf, he gets himself to games and what not, but since he was a teenager he's only known City as a winning machine. If they don't win the Champs League one season they'll get to the final next season.

It is like supporting without real consequence. The worst that might happen is one season without a trophy. With Wednesday, you have no idea what's going to happen.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

if you don't support a top club you're some sort of eccentric in the same vein as transpotting or Morris dancing

An unfortunate typo.................

......................or maybe not. Each to their own, I guess

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Putney said:

With the way that the Premier League is set up and covered in the media/television it's so focused on six or seven clubs. A team like Southampton could get a good result against Man Utd but the focus is on what does it say about Man Utd, as though the other 13 clubs are supporting characters in a TV show.

One can watch their football league club week in week out and feel so detatched from the spectacle that is Premier League football. The product 'Super Sunday' feels totally different to the actual experience of the routine of going to the match on the Saturday.

Interesting interview on the Monday Night Club last Monday with So'ton's CEO. Speaks about how the club have developed a culture but also about how the club approaches players recruitment and sales. No qualms about moving the better players on to the big 6 - makes money obviously - but also makes them sound like they are a feeder club to the big boys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014lb5

4 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Interesting interview on the Monday Night Club last Monday with So'ton's CEO. Speaks about how the club have developed a culture but also about how the club approaches players recruitment and sales. No qualms about moving the better players on to the big 6 - makes money obviously - but also makes them sound like they are a feeder club to the big boys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014lb5

They have sold some great players over the years for big money.  Mane, Van Dijk, Bale, Walcott, Ings, Lallana, Shaw, Chambers, Hojberg, Tadic et al.  It is a good model as good young players will go there as a step before the big guns knowing Soton will sell at the right time if they improve.

On 17/02/2022 at 15:24, sheffield_dave said:

Find it hard to care, to be honest. I’m no more connected to that level of football than I am to, I dunno, Marvel films or something. I’ll occasionally tune in and might be entertained by it a couple of times a year. 

These clubs act without consequences and do as they please. I’m waiting for the lot of it to implode. 

Same.  Just eagerly awaiting their inevitable crash.  This is not sustainable

Had sky sports since the first season in 92 but over the years I've watched less and less Premier league to the point where i never watched it at all, kept it for the cricket but then the ashes went to BT then i really didn't miss ithat either so i got rid off it and it feels good that my hard earned isn't going into the pockets of millionaire footballers anymore 

Imagine if we land lucky like Man City, Chelsea or Newcastle, end end up competing in the PL. Imagine going to Hillsborough and being surrounded by half and half scarfs and people stood filming the games on their phones instead of watching it properly etc . Urgh 

• Like 3

Have next to no interest in football now, other than Wednesday and following Stockport County's results. 

Even with Wednesday it's gone from being a huge part of my life to something almost incidental.

Reading about Joey Beauchamp this morning and it seems a lifetime away that clubs like Oxford, Swindon... and us... could compete at the top level. Without that hope, I'm not sure what the game is anymore.

• Love 1

I wish I supported a club that competed in the champions league 

just being honest 

but I grew up in hillsborough so Wednesday is printed on me, so at least it’s a very genuine love affair 

but I wish I’d had a relative that had got hold of me and diverted me to a now big PL club. 

a friend of mine has a lad and he’s knocking about with this lad who wears a city shirt and he’s started watching city games at his mates on sky and he can see him losing him… I said let it happen 

lol

1 hour ago, Taz said:

just being honest 

but I grew up in hillsborough so Wednesday is printed on me, so at least it’s a very genuine love affair 

but I wish I’d had a relative that had got hold of me and diverted me to a now big PL club. 

a friend of mine has a lad and he’s knocking about with this lad who wears a city shirt and he’s started watching city games at his mates on sky and he can see him losing him… I said let it happen 

lol

Nah, not having that. I get more from supporting Wednesday in the ground with my son than I would from watching city on TV win stuff. Its not the same. There isn't the connection we feel. Its fake and its false and its empty. 

• Like 3

It doesn’t help that we’re in league one again

im a lot less like this when we’re top half of the championship 

but I’m gonna be honest and say that the last 6 years I’ve been a bit like ‘wake me up when we’re on our way to automatic promotion to the PL’

and I’m free to think that way - I don’t have any pressures to polish the turd that is Wednesday the last 5 or 6 seasons. 

all we had to do was beat hull 🤦‍♀️ 

On 20/02/2022 at 11:12, Taz said:

It doesn’t help that we’re in league one again

im a lot less like this when we’re top half of the championship 

but I’m gonna be honest and say that the last 6 years I’ve been a bit like ‘wake me up when we’re on our way to automatic promotion to the PL’

and I’m free to think that way - I don’t have any pressures to polish the turd that is Wednesday the last 5 or 6 seasons. 

all we had to do was beat hull 🤦‍♀️ 

Then what? Prem whipping boys and maybe claw enough points to stay up for a season or two. Think I'd have one season with a s/t in the Prem then I'd probably go and watch non league

On 20/02/2022 at 09:43, Taz said:

just being honest 

lol

But why?

I don't get it.

Actually winning at football (or indeed anything that happens on the pitch) is entirely incidental to supporting a football club.

Isn't it about the atmosphere of 20,000 people in an enclosed space, all tense and wanting the same thing? And the weird Saturday rituals with your dad or your mates?  And the sense of connection to your local community and having shared experiences and memories to talk about with random strangers you just met in the pub?

If it is really just about watching an international team of millionaire playboys you have arbitrarily glommed onto beat another international team of millionaire playboys at a daft kids game, people might start realising it's all just a bit... well... frivolous, isn't it?

• Like 1

But I grew up with us beating the likes of Barca and Roma so mine is a genuine love affair...oh and watching Pele in his pomp