The 1st 1 million pounds a week footballer

Geedee

Just now, 31Dec1966 said:

Football became absurd 30 years ago but it's a private industry and if people are prepared to pay TV fees to watch it will continue.

I Have never had pay TV, I'm not supporting it 

i'd keep quiet about that mate ,the detector van will be calling round 

• Haha 3

With all the poverty in the world I find that sickening.

And woe betide the person that trots out the 'yeah, but players have such a short working life' nonsense.

A million a week! So in a fortnight he would 'earn' what the average person earns in a lifetime. How could you cheer him on?

Although tbh we could do with him here for a month or two, as a charitable act from him.

7 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Find it hard to care, to be honest. I’m no more connected to that level of football than I am to, I dunno, Marvel films or something. I’ll occasionally tune in and might be entertained by it a couple of times a year. 

These clubs act without consequences and do as they please. I’m waiting for the lot of it to implode. 

Good post

I used to love the Premier League as a kid, MOTD on a Saturday - watching scores on Ceefax etc - 90’s early 00’s - then just fizzled out with it. Even Football Italia and La Liga to be honest, but now really just laser in on Wednesday and the league were in - that’s it.

Will watch whole of WC and Euros, Champions League (final) - but I couldn’t tell you where Real or PSG are in their leagues, their players etc - just the notable ones. 

• Like 3

Feels like only a matter of time before they make the super league to justify these crazy wages. You have all these leagues competitions against each other when they could just combine and get all this American and Asian money that people there want to spend on football.

In the USA ppv boxing/wrestling/MMA is like nearly 100 dollars. Imagine what they could charge compared to european prices for a super league 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Good post

I used to love the Premier League as a kid, MOTD on a Saturday - watching scores on Ceefax etc - 90’s early 00’s - then just fizzled out with it. Even Football Italia and La Liga to be honest, but now really just laser in on Wednesday and the league were in - that’s it.

Will watch whole of WC and Euros, Champions League (final) - but I couldn’t tell you where Real or PSG are in their leagues, their players etc - just the notable ones. 

Same, the PL is just not the same anymore.

Saturday 3pm we have about 2 Prem Games. The rest are played through the day, Sunday, Monday etc. Makes Match of the Day less desirable. I actually can't remember the last time I watched it!

9 hours ago, Willie Henderson said:

With all the poverty in the world I find that sickening.

And woe betide the person that trots out the 'yeah, but players have such a short working life' nonsense.

A million a week! So in a fortnight he would 'earn' what the average person earns in a lifetime. How could you cheer him on?

Although tbh we could do with him here for a month or two, as a charitable act from him.

He would just end up injured

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Find it hard to care, to be honest. I’m no more connected to that level of football than I am to, I dunno, Marvel films or something. I’ll occasionally tune in and might be entertained by it a couple of times a year. 

These clubs act without consequences and do as they please. I’m waiting for the lot of it to implode. 

Agree with all of that. But it won’t implode, at least not at the top level. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Football became absurd 30 years ago but it's a private industry and if people are prepared to pay TV fees to watch it will continue.

I Have never had pay TV, I'm not supporting it 

The reality is quite different though.  PSG generate 600m Euro of income each year , ish.  Only 150m of that is from TV, whereas 300m comes from commercial streams.  Owning and paying a player like this, even paying him 1m a week,  pays for itself - the kids want PSG shirts, Mbappe training tops etc etc.  For these top clubs even TV money is becoming less relevant.  

The issues with pay, in my view, come at the next tier down.  Everton - with a massive wage bill - dont generate anything like the commercial income of PSG so well over half of their income comes from TV money.  No kid bar hard core EFC fans want a Tosun or Coleman kit despite these players being paid a packet.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Does FFP exist in France or champions league? Or do they just have so much money that it doesn't apply to them? 

They were investigated by UEFA at one point. Platini didn't do much about it and it was then discovered that the group who own PSG also employed his son in an unspecified role paying him a fortune. 

Modern football is just soulless. 

It's a very expensively put together corporate package. Sometimes it almost feels like a façade, like we are all watching and supporting a real life game of FIFA. 

The top football clubs have ended up like the top NFL franchises. perhaps worse tbh. The rest of us are just lined up as cannon fodder for them to beat every other week, should we be "good" enough to have the privilege of doing so. 

Like I'm sure all of you, I have mates who support your Man U's, Liverpools etc. You try and talk to them and it is like we are talking about two different games/worlds. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's a very expensively put together corporate package. Sometimes it almost feels like a façade, like we are all watching and supporting a real life game of FIFA. 

The top football clubs have ended up like the top NFL franchises. perhaps worse tbh. The rest of us are just lined up as cannon fodder for them to beat every other week, should we be "good" enough to have the privilege of doing so. 

Like I'm sure all of you, I have mates who support your Man U's, Liverpools etc. You try and talk to them and it is like we are talking about two different games/worlds. 

With the way that the Premier League is set up and covered in the media/television it's so focused on six or seven clubs. A team like Southampton could get a good result against Man Utd but the focus is on what does it say about Man Utd, as though the other 13 clubs are supporting characters in a TV show.

One can watch their football league club week in week out and feel so detatched from the spectacle that is Premier League football. The product 'Super Sunday' feels totally different to the actual experience of the routine of going to the match on the Saturday.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

if you don't support a top club you're some sort of eccentric in the same vein as transpotting or Morris dancing

• Like 3

Football at the very top level just feel like Multi Billionaire Ego trip v Multi Billionaire Sports Washing vehicle.

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

if you don't support a top club you're some sort of eccentric in the same vein as transpotting or Morris dancing

I agree.

Some people who are armchair supporters of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona look at supporting Wednesday like we would look at someone who was a fanatical Dinnington Town reserves fan.

I can moan about it all I want though and its not going to change anytime soon.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Putney said:

With the way that the Premier League is set up and covered in the media/television it's so focused on six or seven clubs. A team like Southampton could get a good result against Man Utd but the focus is on what does it say about Man Utd, as though the other 13 clubs are supporting characters in a TV show.

One can watch their football league club week in week out and feel so detatched from the spectacle that is Premier League football. The product 'Super Sunday' feels totally different to the actual experience of the routine of going to the match on the Saturday.

Yep, the focus for the next few days will be about how Man U are in crisis again.

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Oh yeah.

We get portrayed as a bunch of oddballs. It's all very patronising.

• Like 1

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Football at the very top level just feel like Multi Billionaire Ego trip v Multi Billionaire Sports Washing vehicle.

I agree.

Some people who are armchair supporters of Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona look at supporting Wednesday like we would look at someone who was a fanatical Dinnington Town reserves fan.

I can moan about it all I want though and its not going to change anytime soon.

I was up in Scotland last week and this friend was asking me which big club I support, I was like it doesn't work like that Wednesday are a big club, her partner supports falkirk. She asked how many people go to the games and I lowballed it and said 20k and she was really surprised, I mean that would make us the 3rd biggest club in Scotland. 

Honestly, I hate it when my friends who support Man U, Liverpool try to talk to me about Wednesday.

They don't know anything and frankly why would they? 

Conversely, I can probably talk to them about their clubs with as much authority as they can. After all, it is hard not to know pretty much everything that goes off with the top clubs given the wall to wall coverage.