STOP PITCHIN' - Sheffield Wednesday FC pitch issues.

I've had a pop over the state of the pitch but at the end of the day, groundsman are there to solve problems like this. Maybe they've gone to DC with their answers to the problem but he's not put his hand in his pocket, who knows.

It seems to me that we probably need to do something with the roof of the South Stand to allow more natural light to come through. Why don't we invest in solar panels on that roof too, to generate the electric needed to run the energy sapping grow lights? We could then buy more and use them more often. I'm sure they aren't cheap, but neither is letting a £1M pitch go to ruin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is brilliant!  Thanks for taking the time to present the argument In an informative, clear and reasoned fashion. I hope it goes a long way to helping the ground staff at Hillsborough feel a little happier and less maligned when they next rock up for work at 3am. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

It seems to me that we probably need to do something with the roof of the South Stand to allow more natural light to come through. Why don't we invest in solar panels on that roof too, to generate the electric needed to run the energy sapping grow lights?

I think the steel panels in place are part of the structural integrity of the roof.

To replace with plastic would not be practical.

solar panels are not an investment...particularly in winter.

• Like 1

The playing surface has never been the same since the floods in 2007, there was a lot of crap in the don that day from upstream, washed out from farmers fields and mixed with effluent meant for the sewers, the pitch was soaked right to the base, and if its clay down there then a few layers of topsoil arent gunna remedy the issue.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

The playing surface has never been the same since the floods in 2007, there was a lot of crap in the don that day from upstream, washed out from farmers fields and mixed with effluent meant for the sewers, the pitch was soaked right to the base, and if its clay down there then a few layers of topsoil arent gunna remedy the issue.

it got relaid when chansiri took over

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Yes and I thought they sorted the drainage out at the same time.

I remember talking to one of the groundsmen a couple of years ago before a game. He was watering the pitch even though it had been raining heavily in the days up to the game.

He said the pitch needed lots of watering  and they couldn't put enough water on the pitch because of the efficient drainage.

Obviously that drainage system has now failed.

• Like 2

Excellent video. 

Grass struggles in Winter in the best of conditions. 7 hours daylight (as opposed to 14 in Summer) Luminosity on an overcast Winters day 10k Lux  (Summer 30k.) 

In the full shade of the South Stand 1k Lux or less.

Costs of effective artificial lighting would be horrific

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It was and I recall all the pics from the work, but that doesnt mean it cured the issue, a soil expert needs to look into it.

Ive seen stadiums with far larger pitchside structures than we have that dont have this issue

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

It was and I recall all the pics from the work, but that doesnt mean it cured the issue, a soil expert needs to look into it.

Ive seen stadiums with far larger pitchside structures than we have that dont have this issue

you’d like to think that having paid £1m+ for the works that any issues would have been addressed. no point doing the works otherwise surely?? 

• Like 1

Just now, Wednesday_Jack said:

you’d like to think that having paid £1m+ for the works that any issues would have been addressed. no point doing the works otherwise surely?? 

Its not a great advert for the company thats laid is it? 

Pitches in Norway/Sweden and Russia are subject to far harsher conditions in winter than the UK and yet still produce a better playing surface than we have