Special mention for Paterson and Palmer

6 minutes ago, reggae said:

I'm not here to defend Callum. He can do that himself. 

He ran their back lads ragged tonight. Pushing ,pulling. Talking in their ears all time. 

Same way that kamberi kept pulling CH wide or deep to make space. 

Both will start Sunday. 

I think he will brinf Mendez Laing back in for Sunday.

Who for? Johnson, Hunt, Kamberi or Paterson (or even one of the 3 CMs) I'm not sure. Depends who needs a rest, probably Paterson then!

57 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I think he will brinf Mendez Laing back in for Sunday.

Who for? Johnson, Hunt, Kamberi or Paterson (or even one of the 3 CMs) I'm not sure. Depends who needs a rest, probably Paterson then!

All 4 mentioned put a shift in tonight. 

Pato day off Thursday to rest. 

I can’t imagine any team wanting to face Patterson he gives people such a hard time 

physically, pressing, I would imagine anyone spending 90 minutes marking Patterson will know they’ve been in a game 

I like Patterson I don’t think he will every fire us to promotion but he contributes lots all over the pitch and gives us that fight that we’ve often lacked and been rolled over by in the past 

even when players come back from injury he’d always be in the squad for me cause you can literally bring him on anywhere and no where he is we won’t get bullied 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The coach said:

Paterson does love shoving people over tho

He tries his heart out every single game and is excellent when it comes to the dark arts. Every team needs a player like this.

As for Palmer, he's always put the effort in and should get a lot more credit than he does. Currently on 333 appearances in total (23 on our all time list) and may get level with Zico by end of season.

Edited by Utah Owl

8 hours ago, 0742 said:

No criticism, but he was done after 75 minutes and should have been subbed. When a player is that fatigued, the chance of injury is far greater. We need him fit and firing and despite his role being that of a battering ram, we sometimes need to look after him a bit better.

Aye I was pointing this out too, fair play he kept slogging away but after 80min his toes were literally dragging on the grass whenever he tried to break into a trot, lad was absolutely done in

Patto as a striker - positive

runs his nuts off , defends from the front which resulted in several missed placed passed from their defenders and allowed our midfield to press and win their own battles too.

adds height defensively from corners etc 

Patto as a striker - Negative

Never looks like scoring. Hunt put a great cross in second half which any striker worth his salt would have got on the end of but Patto was way off it even with a ridiculous dive/outstretched leg. He also had a shot from 25 yards that wasn’t even close and he reacted like he had thundertwated the crossbar from 35 yards.

gives way way too many needless free kicks away when defenders are under pressure. Several times last night we could have been in good positions with throw-ins or pressure but instead Patto gave away cheap free-kicks with daft shoulder barges.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Paterson is not a talented footballer but he works his arse off!!

Hate stupid comments like that

You have to have a certain amount of talent to regularly play in the second and third tier of English football. Its not even up for debate. He's not excellent technically but dont let anybody tell you he isn't a great footballer as only 0.00001 of players make it to the level he's at now. Same goes for every other player in the EFL and even a lot of professional non-league.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, fpowl said:

I can’t imagine any team wanting to face Patterson he gives people such a hard time 

physically, pressing, I would imagine anyone spending 90 minutes marking Patterson will know they’ve been in a game 

I like Patterson I don’t think he will every fire us to promotion but he contributes lots all over the pitch and gives us that fight that we’ve often lacked and been rolled over by in the past 

even when players come back from injury he’d always be in the squad for me cause you can literally bring him on anywhere and no where he is we won’t get bullied 

This

The back three of Palmer, Story and Hutch is working beautifully for me. You would never think Palmer wasn’t in his natural position there. 

Paterson is a true utility player who works his arse off wherever and whenever he is played. The Kamberi Paterson partnership last night was a thing of necessity not design. But by the end of the game Wigan looked like they were dead on there feet, and playing against them two I’m not surprised!

Watch the 90 mins back and analyse Patterson performance AS A STRIKER. All he did was constantly foul their defenders when they had no where to go, lose the ball and was never in the right place at the right time. He is not a striker and never will be. Have our standards really dropped this low that people are praising his performance last night? He may work hard, but so would any fan. He contributed nothing as a striker.

I think he has a role in the squad to play most likely as back up to the midfield 3.

We won that game despite the strikers - remember that. They were poor and with two better strikers we win that game by a much greater margin.

Before anyone cries, I appreciate the other strikers are injured and they are doing the best they can do.  Only mentioning the above as I would play Mendez upfront Sunday for his movement with Kamberi. Kamberi is also poor but unlike Patterson he understands the role better and how to be a striker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thatladfromchap said:

Hate stupid comments like that

You have to have a certain amount of talent to regularly play in the second and third tier of English football. Its not even up for debate. He's not excellent technically but dont let anybody tell you he isn't a great footballer as only 0.00001 of players make it to the level he's at now. Same goes for every other player in the EFL and even a lot of professional non-league.

Bit harsh mate! Was trying to focus on the positive aspect of his play actually. Granted you’ve worded it better but even so…