State of some of today's penalties.

If it's a goal then it's a good pen, but missing with one of those daft (or no) run ups makes it look worse.

I watched that Cameroon shootout the other night, and the commentator said "great penalty" when it was hit with no power about 2 yards to the keeper's right but he went the other way. Yet when there was a better struck pen further towards the corner and the keeper guessed right and saved it, the commentator goes "that's a poor penalty".

Many moons ago I had a temp job for HSBC as some sort of data entry monkey, we had a 5 a side team up at there social club near Dore. We were throw. Then, this one lad joined the bank and played for us, he was literally amazing at football. He  came on in one game when we were 4 or 5 down and just took the ********, he was Bannon sized and did a back flip after every goal. We won 7-6 in the end, he scored every one of our goals, my best memory of the game is their captain just begging his team to stop letting him get the ball. True story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Many moons ago I had a temp job for HSBC as some sort of data entry monkey, we had a 5 a side team up at there social club near Dore. We were throw. Then, this one lad joined the bank and played for us, he was literally amazing at football. He  came on in one game when we were 4 or 5 down and just took the ********, he was Bannon sized and did a back flip after every goal. We won 7-6 in the end, he scored every one of our goals, my best memory of the game is their captain just begging his team to stop letting him get the ball. True story.

great story

we had a rubbish 5 aside team at uni

then this whitby semi pro footballer moved next door, he won the u15s World Cup with France 

he actually agreed to play, and then we didn't lose by quite as many lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

It's moments like that when you realise how good pros actually must be, a lad who played semi pro used to have a kick about with us sometimes and the difference to the rest of us was ridiculous. He used to cross the ball and take corners doing rabonas, far more accurately than any of us could kicking the ball in a regular manner. 

I saw my uncle recently, and he was telling me about Kevin Davies when he played for the same school team (Abbeydale Grange) as his son. He said the keeper would just roll the ball out to Kevin and he'd just run up the pitch take everyone on and score. He said he could do it whenever he felt like it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Whitechapel Owl said:

It's moments like that when you realise how good pros actually must be, a lad who played semi pro used to have a kick about with us sometimes and the difference to the rest of us was ridiculous. He used to cross the ball and take corners doing rabonas, far more accurately than any of us could kicking the ball in a regular manner. 

I saw my uncle recently, and he was telling me about Kevin Davies when he played for the same school team (Abbeydale Grange) as his son. He said the keeper would just roll the ball out to Kevin and he'd just run up the pitch take everyone on and score. He said he could do it whenever he felt like it. 

I went to the same junior school as Kevin Davies (Sharrow) he was in the year below me. When I was in J4, he was in J3 and that meant on the same playground. Even then he was insanely good. I would often see him down on the rubber pitch near the adventure playground with an older lad (think it was brother) and they would be pinging the ball to each other from one corner to the other.

As you said, the level of skill of pro footballers is actually breath taking.

16 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

I went to the same junior school as Kevin Davies (Sharrow) he was in the year below me. When I was in J4, he was in J3 and that meant on the same playground. Even then he was insanely good. I would often see him down on the rubber pitch near the adventure playground with an older lad (think it was brother) and they would be pinging the ball to each other from one corner to the other.

As you said, the level of skill of pro footballers is actually breath taking.

yeh, Danny Rose was amazing at school, he was 2 years below and he went to both my primary school and secondary school. I don't think I ever saw anyone tackle him. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

yeh, Danny Rose was amazing at school, he was 2 years below and he went to both my primary school and secondary school. I don't think I ever saw anyone tackle him. 

Its crazy isn't it?

Fans don't realise just how good pro footballers are.

Which is probably a good thing...because some of the sitters they miss is unreal!! 

• Like 2

why oh why do teams leave their best taker until number 5? I know if it comes to the pressure of having to score to win or score to stay alive then it helps having the best player at 5, but how risky is it? You could be finished by then and not even getting to use your best player. It's okay saving Salah till 5, but if the defenders taking pens before him miss then what the hell is the point. Portugal did it with Ronaldo didn't they at one of the major tournaments? Such a risk saving your best taker until the end i've never understood it

On 07/02/2022 at 09:40, WorrallOwl17 said:

why oh why do teams leave their best taker until number 5? I know if it comes to the pressure of having to score to win or score to stay alive then it helps having the best player at 5, but how risky is it? You could be finished by then and not even getting to use your best player. It's okay saving Salah till 5, but if the defenders taking pens before him miss then what the hell is the point. Portugal did it with Ronaldo didn't they at one of the major tournaments? Such a risk saving your best taker until the end i've never understood it

So let’s say Salah takes the pen that they missed.

And then the player that missed the pen misses the 5th instead of the 3rd

What difference does it make?

10 hours ago, Ian said:

So let’s say Salah takes the pen that they missed.

And then the player that missed the pen misses the 5th instead of the 3rd

What difference does it make?

If Salah - being an experienced and statistically successful penalty-taker - scores the first pen that Egypt missed (their second in the sequence), then after six kicks Egypt would've been leading 3-2 and the pressure would've been far greater on Senegal's fourth taker. So it's the psychological edge of scoring the pens earlier in the sequence that's important. 

All 'ifs, buts and maybes', of course, as there's no guarantee Salah would've scored, but I get the point that really it makes more sense to have your best takers going first.