Just some of what Wayne Rooney has done at Derby

@owlstalk

3 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Probably, Keane got done when his book came out years after the Haaland thing.

Edit actually it was only a year

Yeah, he did, but as you say that book came out a season or two after that horror challenge. 

It was a daft thing for Rooney to say, but you know...would think that the time to dish out some sort of punishment has long expired. Call it a hunch, but I doubt he is the first footballer to have decided he was going to do someone in. 

The fact it was John Terry too...

If nothing else, he's being honest. A rare quality in any walk of life these days, let alone Football. Let's face it we all know that some players deliberately go out with the intention of hurting an opposition player, it's just that always get away with it on the basis of "plausible deniability".

As far as his time at Derby is concerned, you can only admire his dedication to the cause. Even though the points haul is not spectacular, given the damage to team morale in the early part of the season he has done an incredible job to even have them in with a chance of staying up.

Deserves all the plaudits and if that is the way he continues to conduct himself then he has a bright future as a manger/coach.

6 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

Rooney seems to have had some sort of intelligence implant in recent years. Few years back it seemed like he could barely string a sentence together. Now he seems thoughtful, reasoned and reasonably eloquent.

Because he became famous at 16 I think its easy to forget he's still a reletively young man.

He's a tough kid from a tough background its pretty understandable that he's not as eloquent as someone like Frank Lampard.

But your right he is getting there. I wonder what odds you can get for one day Rooney to face Gerrard as managers of Man Utd and Liverpool 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I agree that Rooney has done a fabulous job with the conditions he has had to work under. 

I don't however think that its a miracle when they stay up. The teams around them are absolutely shocking, really, really bad! And the standard of football in the championship this year is not good - even worse than last year. 

As I've said on other threads, as they always seem to be, I think Derby have been extremely lucky in many respects this year.

Watching his new doc on Amazon.

Worth a spy.

Sometimes easy to forget how good of a player he actually was, particularly between say 16 and 26ish.

Honestly, I think he was the most exciting teenager when he came through, even more so than Ronnie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Watching his new doc on Amazon.

Worth a spy.

Sometimes easy to forget how good of a player he actually was, particularly between say 16 and 26ish.

Honestly, I think he was the most exciting teenager when he came through, even more so than Ronnie.

He finished one of PL's top scorers with several banging efforts to his name ( v Newcastle and City and of course that goal v debut).

He was a key part of a successful United team that won the lot. From 06-09 that team was at its peak.

He scored loads for his country and was electrifying at Euro 2004. Best tournament performance from an English player I can remember.

Its a pity there are the red v Portugal in 06 and the flop tournaments in 10 and 14.

Its a shame he didnt have the sheer fitness and focus of others and his career would hsve been extended. But he had personal demons and he battled them.

Just finished the documentary. Was ok, not great. Sadly Rooney is just not the most inspiring talker or person - I think it struggled to bring a genuinely good footballing story to life.

But it does make you remember how good he was. Incredible talent, don't think we will see an exciting English talent burst onto the scene at 16 and bully seasoned Premier League pros in the way Rooney did ever again.

Also forget how bloody young he was when he got his United move. He was only 18 and he was all over the papers and banging in goals for fun. Immense talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think it was a shame that Man U stopped playing him as a central striker. When he played deeper he wasn't as effective for me. 

He actually preferred playing off the main striker. 

Said those two seasons where he banged in loads of PL goals he was miserable, as he didn't feel like he was contributing as much to the team. 

I mean...that does seem a bit absurd when you are getting 30 odd goals, but I think he was one of those players who wants to be involved all the time and create. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

He actually preferred playing off the main striker. 

Said those two seasons where he banged in loads of PL goals he was miserable, as he didn't feel like he was contributing as much to the team. 

I mean...that does seem a bit absurd when you are getting 30 odd goals, but I think he was one of those players who wants to be involved all the time and create. 

Yeh I always got the impression he felt he was better there, and I think it's evident with him going into central midfield as he got older at lesser clubs but for me he was nowhere near as good as it as he would like to think

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh I always got the impression he felt he was better there, and I think it's evident with him going into central midfield as he got older at lesser clubs but for me he was nowhere near as good as it as he would like to think

He was ok in that deeper role, but he simply didn't have the legs by the time he was in his late 20s/early 30s. 

Some player excel when they drop into a deeper role, others look ok and that's about it. 

Truth be told, I think he got caught up in the general malaise which pretty much engulfed Manchester United the day SAF sacked it off. 

• Like 1