Just some of what Wayne Rooney has done at Derby

@owlstalk

What Wayne Rooney has done for Derby County in a season of turmoil:

▪️ Wayne Rooney got the news from Sky Sports that Derby County was going into administration. 

▪️ Rumors say that this news caused panic in Coleen Rooney as Wayne's mental health was not in a good shape. Mel Morris wasn't even picking up any calls. As a result, Rooney used the club doctor's phone to get in contact with Mel Morris

▪️ Wayne Rooney gave his personal contact number to the Derby County faithful which the official supporters club of The Rams confirmed

▪️ Rooney paid for training equipments and away accommodations when the club was short of money

▪️ Derby started using a drone in training, which was seen in the video that Rio Ferdinand made when he went inside their training ground. In the video, a staff member says, the manager bought it

▪️ "I am committed to this football club. I grew up on a council estate in Liverpool. I know how tough life can be. What kind of person would I be if I went and laid on a beach for a few weeks." - Wayne Rooney reassured Derby fans that he was not going to walk off

▪️ "I'll stand in front of you, I'll take all the criticism." - Curtis Davies (Derby County defender) on what Wayne Rooney has said to the players

▪️ Wayne Rooney did overtime multiple times and slept in his office to get the players ready.

▪️ Rooney was dubbed a 'Guardian Angel' by Derby faithful to which he responded "It is the first time I have been called that

▪️ He rejected Everton saying he has an 'Important' job at Derby. Commitment

▪️ He has 3 league tables in the dressing room, the original one, the one with no points deductions, and the one with -12 points deductions to motivate the squad

▪️With Derby County currently sitting in 23rd place with 15 points, they are 7 points off from safety with 18 games still to go. A result beyond expectations from Wayne Rooney and his players

Wayne Rooney is on the verge of achieving a landmark with Derby County that nobody expected him to reach.

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What Wayne Rooney has done for Derby County in a season of turmoil:

▪️ Wayne Rooney got the news from Sky Sports that Derby County was going into administration. 

▪️ Rumors say that this news caused panic in Coleen Rooney as Wayne's mental health was not in a good shape. Mel Morris wasn't even picking up any calls. As a result, Rooney used the club doctor's phone to get in contact with Mel Morris

▪️ Wayne Rooney gave his personal contact number to the Derby County faithful which the official supporters club of The Rams confirmed

▪️ Rooney paid for training equipments and away accommodations when the club was short of money

▪️ Derby started using a drone in training, which was seen in the video that Rio Ferdinand made when he went inside their training ground. In the video, a staff member says, the manager bought it

▪️ "I am committed to this football club. I grew up on a council estate in Liverpool. I know how tough life can be. What kind of person would I be if I went and laid on a beach for a few weeks." - Wayne Rooney reassured Derby fans that he was not going to walk off

▪️ "I'll stand in front of you, I'll take all the criticism." - Curtis Davies (Derby County defender) on what Wayne Rooney has said to the players

▪️ Wayne Rooney did overtime multiple times and slept in his office to get the players ready.

▪️ Rooney was dubbed a 'Guardian Angel' by Derby faithful to which he responded "It is the first time I have been called that

▪️ He rejected Everton saying he has an 'Important' job at Derby. Commitment

▪️ He has 3 league tables in the dressing room, the original one, the one with no points deductions, and the one with -12 points deductions to motivate the squad

▪️With Derby County currently sitting in 23rd place with 15 points, they are 7 points off from safety with 18 games still to go. A result beyond expectations from Wayne Rooney and his players

Wayne Rooney is on the verge of achieving a landmark with Derby County that nobody expected him to reach.

I don't like Derby County and I didn't think Rooney would make a manager but I take my hat off to him.   I know   a couple of Derby fans and they say they have never seen a team spirit like it.

It really rubs it in that most of our team showed no fighting spirit whatever last season. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I still hope they go down but at least they'll go down fighting, and whatever, well done Wayne Rooney.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely surprised at that, never liked Derby, the club, the city or the people (I work there) and I never liked Rooney - always thought he was overrated.

But he does seem to be taking this very seriously, which is a suprise.

Maybe I will have to rethink my opinion of him, maybe. But I will still always dislike Derby, immensely.

• Like 3

As well as he and Derby have done, they'd currently be on 36 points from 29 games without the deduction - equivalent to 57 points for the season. Take 21 off that and you get 36, so that's the tally they're on target to finish on. They'd be extremely fortunate to stay up with that. Of course, they face bigger threats than relegation right now.

Yeah fair play to him, he does seem to be doing well. He's ridiculed a lot, and he doesn't always come across very well, but you can't argue with the points in the OP. 

I've found myself getting caught up on the 'dislike' bandwagon, eg it does my head in when the cameras are on him and he's stood there spitting, but he is who he is. He's not done badly out of life.

Enjoyed watching him when he played at Hillsborough a couple of seasons ago, just strolled through it looking a level above, albeit in an unrecognisable position compared to how he made his career. Reminded me of when Sheridan came back and did the same. 

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

On the other hand, his reported £90k pw salary is/was part of the reason that they're in this mess. 

Shhh don't mention that. We need to feel sorry for plucky Derby.

Edited by Salli
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, andrew1974 said:

wasnt there some thing about the sponsor 32 Red having something to do with his salary? - the reason he wore 32 as his squad number.

in all fairness, he's done a great job with them. much as I want them to implode

Something like that yeah. A plucky loophole.

26 minutes ago, Owling with laughter said:

“ He has 3 league tables in the dressing room, the original one, the one with no points deductions, and the one with -12 points deductions to motivate the squad”

Not understanding this. Isn’t the original one the same as the one with no points deductions? 

So two league tables?

I'm guessing the original one is the current league table with -21. No idea what the -12 is for and how that could motivate the squad. 

• Like 2