Patto in midfield

Anyone else think he did a decent job when he came on yesterday? Closed down well, put their midfielders under pressure, even showed a bit of trickery once or twice to beat his man. I guess the main thing he's missing is being able to pick out that forward pass but considering how well our wing backs are playing at the moment maybe all that's needed is to get it out wide to them and let them cross it. Either that or when Bannan's having a good game just lay it off to him and let him play the sort of defence splitting pass he's capable of!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think he always puts a shift in wherever he plays

Agreed! Bit similar to Kamberi in that while they might be lacking a bit in the technical side of things, they more than make up for that with their desire and work rate. I'd rather that any day than someone with bags of skill who doesn't give a to$$.

Edited by S6ToBerlin
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

He was Cardiff’s top scorer in 17/18 as they won promotion and he mainly played as an 8 or a 10.

So it’s nothing unnatural too him. He plays with so much energy that I think that’s his best role where he’s allowed to make runs towards the box. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, S6ToBerlin said:

Agreed! Bit similar to Kamberi in that while they might be lacking a bit in the technical side of things, they more than make up for that with their desire and work rate. I'd rather that any day than someone with bags of skill who doesn't give a to$$.

Palmer is the same, he's not everyone's cup of tea but he's a fine athlete

And he always puts a shift in

I love Kamberi's workrate

I can excuse players if they are a bit off, but I can't excuse the lack of effort

Half the team were a bit out of touch last night, playing Saturday then Tuesday takes it out of them

But no one hid, they all still worked and wanted the ball

• Like 6

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Palmer is the same, he's not everyone's cup of tea but he's a fine athlete

And he always puts a shift in

I love Kamberi's workrate

I can excuse players if they are a bit off, but I can't excuse the lack of effort

Half the team were a bit out of touch last night, playing Saturday then Tuesday takes it out of them

But no one hid, they all still worked and wanted the ball

Spot on

• Thanks 1

Not convinced personally that he's good enough in any position. He came on and not long after we started to lose the midfield for the rest of the game, obviously Byers tiring and Morecambe pushing for an equaliser came into that, but his positional sense in midfield is sometimes awful. What you get with Patto though is desire  and he is unlucky that he's versatile. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 0114 said:

He was Cardiff’s top scorer in 17/18 as they won promotion and he mainly played as an 8 or a 10.

So it’s nothing unnatural too him. He plays with so much energy that I think that’s his best role where he’s allowed to make runs towards the box. 

Interesting, didn't know that! Just looked it up on Transfermarkt and apparently he played all over the show that season

image.png.328b499ef259b6999aa14b4140eab1f1.png

Certainly flexible isn't he!

There no doubting he can play in different positions but as a forward he scored about 1 in 10, playing in midfield he is solid without the ability to pick a pass and in defence he can tackle and break up play but is very poor pushing forward.

he excels in no position but can cover in all.

At Cardiff he was on the region of £22k a week, he wont have taken too big a pay cut to join us - so is he really the player we need when we see what he costs. We could have a full back, a central midfielder and a striker for the same money we are paying for Paterson.

for me I wont miss him when he leaves at the end of the season, yes he put a shift in but I expect that from every player that wear the shirt as a bare minimum.

• Like 2

I like Patto.... A man's man... Just carries on! 

Work rate always excellent and can play multiple positions 

Doesn't collapse or fein injury when he has his nuts squeezed by imposing defenders.....

But had tenancy to wrecks seats in the south stand when subbed..! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Not convinced personally that he's good enough in any position. He came on and not long after we started to lose the midfield for the rest of the game, obviously Byers tiring and Morecambe pushing for an equaliser came into that, but his positional sense in midfield is sometimes awful. What you get with Patto though is desire  and he is unlucky that he's versatile. 

He's a dreadful player but makes up for it to some extent by his enthusiasm and aggression. I don't know what others see in him but plenty think he's ok.

• Like 1