Sunderland sack Johnson

27 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I thought they were in pretty good form until yesterday, but it turns out they've only won 1 of the last 5. Typically, they played us in the final match of their good run. 

Well, that's another run we ended

(although it's usually teams who've not won, scored, played in the rain, for 97 years)

12 minutes ago, Otley Owl said:

Do you reckon it's about him talking about his keeper / covid vacine?

It is a strange one, thought Sunderland fans were fairly happy with him.

Not the ones I know

They hated him like a section of our fan base hates Moore.

Funnily they say a lot of the things I see on here

"unacceptable, with this squad we should be getting promotion, a decent manager would have us going up as champions etc etc"

• Like 2

Everywhere he’s been he gets big wins and sore defeats. I remember his Bristol C team had a bit of everything and gave us some hammerings at their place but never made top six. 

last season he had to play full backs at centre half like we have had to and his budget hasn’t been as big as some, focusing on youth for the most part.

League one has set a high bar for promotion this season and the top 8 of this league are probably as good as or better than some at the bottom of the Championship. Ordinarily his up and down gung ho approach would be enough with a superior team but I think the nature of the league and Wycombe and Rotherham’s grinding out of results has cost him. Wierdly there was a feature on talk sport before the Bolton game saying it was their time and he was the man, including owner interview and chat about Batth being the key bit of the puzzle. 36 hours later he’s sacked.

Personally id have given him the season. DM has been given some slack with the injured cbs but sackings like this must worry a few managers 

• Like 2

League One is a different league to the one we left 10 or so years ago. 

You've got several big to biggish names down there and with that brings a weight of expectation for numerous clubs - Us, Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth among others. 

I mean yesterday you had Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich Town, which for much of the last 20-years has been a Championship fixture and once upon a time was a Premier League fixture. 

For me, Sunderland are probably the biggest club out of all of us and yet they've been down here now for what is their fourth season? Got a clutch of teams desperate for promotion and we are one of them. Longer you stay down, the harder it is likely to get. 

Next season we likely have the likes of Derby (if they don't vanish) joining us, possibly Reading too and even the Dingles who like Rotherham tend to excel at this level. 

The quality might be hit and miss, but it is a very competitive division. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

That is true but we had to go on an incredible run of results to pip the pigs to 2nd. If we had finished 3rd and lost in the play offs it could be viewed very differently. Its a huge gamble is what i'm trying to say. 

The false accusation of Ched Evans also played a role in the Blades' form dipping.

22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

League One is a different league to the one we left 10 or so years ago. 

You've got several big to biggish names down there and with that brings a weight of expectation for numerous clubs - Us, Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, Ipswich, Charlton, Portsmouth among others. 

I mean yesterday you had Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich Town, which for much of the last 20-years has been a Championship fixture and once upon a time was a Premier League fixture. 

For me, Sunderland are probably the biggest club out of all of us and yet they've been down here now for what is their fourth season? Got a clutch of teams desperate for promotion and we are one of them. Longer you stay down, the harder it is likely to get. 

Next season we likely have the likes of Derby (if they don't vanish) joining us, possibly Reading too and even the Dingles who like Rotherham tend to excel at this level. 

The quality might be hit and miss, but it is a very competitive division. 

League 1 is now what the Old Division 2 was while the Championship is Div 1

The Prem has disappeared over the horizon now and the gulf continues to grow

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

League 1 is now what the Old Division 2 was while the Championship is Div 1

The Prem has disappeared over the horizon now and the gulf continues to grow

Feels like it. 

It's interesting to see how many of the so-called second tier "big clubs" (outside of your elite sides) find themselves down in the Champ or League One, whilst the supposed smaller teams (Brighton, Brentford etc) are excelling. 

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Not the ones I know

They hated him like a section of our fan base hates Moore.

Funnily they say a lot of the things I see on here

"unacceptable, with this squad we should be getting promotion, a decent manager would have us going up as champions etc etc"

League One does funny things to fans. 

It’s a like a garage full of old bangers.