Owls v Tractor Boys OMDT (Apologies to Lord Snooty)

42 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Home TeamSheff WedAway TeamIpswich

Possession

Home35%

Away65%

Shots

Home11

Away10

Shots on Target

Home4

Away0

Corners

Home5

Away5

Fouls

Home9

Away8

Are the counting NML’s that finished up in Derbyshire as a shot?

• Haha 1

Just got back. 

Have to say, i think that's a better result in many ways than the Plymouth one tbh. 

Yes, the Plymouth game was more entertaining and we played the better football, but it is very satisfying to see us get an early goal and then grind out a deserved one nil win. 

Let's be honest, aside from their possession, Ipswich rarely looked like they were going to score. BPF never had a save. A few very well timed blocks, but we created the much better chances and should have really won by more than one. 

Was impressed by all of the back three. Hutchinson looks just as good as one of the wide CBs, as he does in the central/sweeper role. 

One of Johnson's best games and an excellent goal. Mendez-Laing really looks a player when he's on it. Guys built like a brick sh*thouse and is quick as anything too. 

Luongo is absolutely critical to any success we have in this side. Midfield will get completely overrun if he's not in there mopping up and keeping things simple/effective. FDB has to be doing more for me. Big unit, but he flatters to deceive. Bannan...good and bad today. On the ball, probs as good a player as you will find at this level...off the ball, he does leave a lot to be desired. 

Thought the lads up top worked hard, though perhaps a bit sloppy sometimes when holding the ball up. Gregory doesn't always convince me in front of goal, but his hold up play is very useful. 

Aside from that...thought Palmer looked like he had done a couple of barbiturates before coming on. Positionally he was all over the shop, kept getting caught under the ball. Some sloppy moments on the ball too. I kinda like Liam and appreciate his role in the square, but he was not good today. 

Anyway, an important win as we enter a period which may well define our season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Just got back. 

Have to say, i think that's a better result in many ways than the Plymouth one tbh. 

Yes, the Plymouth game was more entertaining and we played the better football, but it is very satisfying to see us get an early goal and then grind out a deserved one nil win. 

Let's be honest, aside from their possession, Ipswich rarely looked like they were going to score. BPF never had a save. A few very well timed blocks, but we created the much better chances and should have really won by more than one. 

Was impressed by all of the back three. Hutchinson looks just as good as one of the wide CBs, as he does in the central/sweeper role. 

One of Johnson's best games and an excellent goal. Mendez-Laing really looks a player when he's on it. Guys built like a brick sh*thouse and is quick as anything too. 

Luongo is absolutely critical to any success we have in this side. Midfield will get completely overrun if he's not in there mopping up and keeping things simple/effective. FDB has to be doing more for me. Big unit, but he flatters to deceive. Bannan...good and bad today. On the ball, probs as good a player as you will find at this level...off the ball, he does leave a lot to be desired. 

Thought the lads up top worked hard, though perhaps a bit sloppy sometimes when holding the ball up. Gregory doesn't always convince me in front of goal, but his hold up play is very useful. 

Aside from that...thought Palmer looked like he had done a couple of barbiturates before coming on. Positionally he was all over the shop, kept getting caught under the ball. Some sloppy moments on the ball too. I kinda like Liam and appreciate his role in the square, but he was not good today. 

Agree with all that apart from the last bit. Aside from a rare 1-0 comfortable win think the ship has sailed regarding the playoffs. We aren’t consistent to put a run of results together and will regret keeping pace with the sides above us. Great we won today but we need teams above us to start losing more and that is not going to happen. 

3 hours ago, Ray Von shabba said:

No cos it's Dele that's struggling ML was having a good game

The Moore way, his decisions will be the downfall of our season. 

1 hour ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Agree with all that apart from the last bit. Aside from a rare 1-0 comfortable win think the ship has sailed regarding the playoffs. We aren’t consistent to put a run of results together and will regret keeping pace with the sides above us. Great we won today but we need teams above us to start losing more and that is not going to happen. 

We will have to see.

Our inconsistency may have already cost us. We are playing quite a few of those near the top of the table so we may still have our say.

My concern is a) our consistency and b) who from the top 6 drops out? 

Hard to see any of them doing at so at present. Oxford are our best bet and, well, they've just done the double over us.

Realistically, we can probably afford to lose at most 2 more matches and that's just getting into the play offs.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

We will have to see.

Our inconsistency may have already cost us. We are playing quite a few of those near the top of the table so we may still have our say.

My concern is a) our consistency and b) who from the top 6 drops out? 

Hard to see any of them doing at so at present. Oxford are our best bet and, well, they've just done the double over us.

Realistically, we can probably afford to lose at most 2 more matches and that's just getting into the play offs.

Looking at the play offs we have games in hand of every team currently in positions 3-6, there are still 19 games to play (including 11 at home), probably need 30-35 points to get top 6 without worrying what any other team does.

Think we comfortably get in top 6 and don't personally fear any of  the other side's we could face,

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Just got back. 

Agree with that post. Regarding FDB, he's very frustrating to watch at times, seems to be very slow at closing down and pressing almost like he treats it as a pre season game, as I say frustrating because I do think he's good on the ball. I think with Dennis out for the season, Wing seemingly not in Moores plans, send him back and I would try to bring in another centre midfielder to compete with FDB and Byers.

28 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Looking at the play offs we have games in hand of every team currently in positions 3-6, there are still 19 games to play (including 11 at home), probably need 30-35 points to get top 6 without worrying what any other team does.

Think we comfortably get in top 6 and don't personally fear any of  the other side's we could face,

I'm not as confident as you but we have a good chance  I also don't think we will need 81 points (current trajectory) to make 6th. It will drop to 78/79 as when we hit March/ April there will be some odd results where bottom beat top etc. 

Our home form is crucial, its starting to look good now and really must continue if we are to have a chance. We still have a mental block on the road but the new CBs should help us overcome that.

Its definitely on, I wouldn't put any money on us making it though! 

14 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

I'm not as confident as you but we have a good chance  I also don't think we will need 81 points (current trajectory) to make 6th. It will drop to 78/79 as when we hit March/ April there will be some odd results where bottom beat top etc. 

Our home form is crucial, its starting to look good now and really must continue if we are to have a chance. We still have a mental block on the road but the new CBs should help us overcome that.

Its definitely on, I wouldn't put any money on us making it though! 

I think you’re right that it could be touch and go. If we can get through the Wigan and Rotherham games unbeaten then we really shouldn’t be dropping many more points at home. We have to be utterly ruthless at S6, continuing on Tuesday. 

78 points for a play off place must be an historic high. Shows how the division has a huge gulf in quality between the top and bottom sides. 

When we play like today/Plymouth we can beat anyone at this level.

We've got some very decent players for this level, some who are on their day a bit too good for it. 

The problem is we have a tendency to flatter to deceive and a mental block when playing away from home. We are not that far away from the crunch time and there is still plenty to play for...but a few more silly missteps and we might find ourselves playing too much catch up.

I can't for the life of me work out this division at the top. Looks like 5 genuine contenders for the autos at present.

Ultimately, I think Rotherham will go up automatically and then probably Wigan (who we are both playing pretty damn soon). A few weeks back it looked like Sunderland were going through the gears and yet they lose six nil today. Wycombe lost too, with the MK Don's right in it.

10 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Points already got are better than points to get though.

Really hope you're right but just can't see it myself.

Although we create chances, I can't see where a regular stream of goals is going to come from.