The View from the Opposition

4 hours ago, sw1867 said:

Maybe some people like to look for positives that are clearly there rather than being in a continual state of despair, which is no way to live your life.

Nobody I have read on here is saying a defeat is a positive. Some are saying if you look past the score line (of which a lot aren’t capable of doing) we were the better side for large parts of the game.

Oh dear. 

I'm quite happy thanks. 

This side and manager aren't consistent enough for us to take any positives, only to move on and hope they turn up the same the next game. 

And many of us are very capable of understanding quite clearly that Wednesday, are like that. It's not negativity. 

It just comes with watching the team for so long. 

It's called being realistic. How many times have we put a decent performance in and then lost, and then gone on yet another crap run of bore draws so not to lose? 

1 minute ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Oh dear. 

I'm quite happy thanks. 

This side and manager aren't consistent enough for us to take any positives, only to move on and hope they turn up the same the next game. 

And many of us are very capable of understanding quite clearly that Wednesday, are like that. It's not negativity. 

It just comes with watching the team for so long. 

It's called being realistic. How many times have we put a decent performance in and then lost, and then gone on yet another crap run of bore draws so not to lose? 

I’ve been watching Wednesday home and away for 40 years so well aware of the realism of being a Wednesdayite.

I agree 100% regarding lack of consistency. The very poor defending at times and terrible waste of gilt edge chances should be criticised.

That doesn’t mean however that I have to moan about everything when there were clear positives in the performance on Saturday. 

I’m finding it ironic that I’m now being put in the happy clapper camp when usually I’m accused of having a go at the club for every little thing.

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2022 at 08:42, meggoisgod said:

I watched with the oxford commentary and yes they were extremely complimentary..however when Moore put Brown on the game was lost. He was so bad it was criminal. Dont want to see him ever again

Terrible.from the manager and Brown 

Is it possible that Brown has been knocking on the manager’s door asking why he’s not playing regularly? I can only think that’s a) why Moore picked him and b) why he allowed him on the pitch in the second half. If that’s the case, our manager is weak as a pint of p1ss…some of our players and staff should not be allowed any where near a football, a pitch, a changing room or a pint of p1ss.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I’ve been watching Wednesday home and away for 40 years so well aware of the realism of being a Wednesdayite.

I agree 100% regarding lack of consistency. The very poor defending at times and terrible waste of gilt edge chances should be criticised.

That doesn’t mean however that I have to moan about everything when there were clear positives in the performance on Saturday. 

I’m finding it ironic that I’m now being put in the happy clapper camp when usually I’m accused of having a go at the club for every little thing.

Nooo.. Not labelling you as anything. Never said that.. I think my comments are born out of that inconsistency. And the weariness that now comes with it.  Even the old heady days of League One success where we would destroy teams and the crowd would be bouncing,  seem like a far distant memory.  53 for me.. So.. Yep... It hurts. Ha ha. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 01:50, Emerson Thome said:

I like to listen to the away commentary when we play away from home. Adds to the away atmosphere. Sometimes they are gloating and other times very biased but sometimes they make good points and it is interesting to see another pair of eyes perception of our play. Earlier in the season at Ipswich they kept remarking how poor we were and how the Wing-Bannan-Adeniran midfield was unbalanced. Or at Wimbledon when they kept saying how unsettled we were from crosses into the box. I know we managed to draw both those games and today we lost, but today the Oxford commentators were a lot more impressed:

"The best team we've seen at the Kassam Stadium this season", and "this has the feel of an FA Cup tie with a powerful team from the higher divisions the way Wednesday are dominating the play".

Luongo was particularly picked out for praise as being "a nuisance" in the way he kept winning the ball and when he charged down a shot in the first half the commentators remarked why the Oxford players couldn't show the same desire as Wednesday did.

They also praised the strength of the Wednesday XI, singling out Dele-Bashiru and how he dominated McGuane, but also how we as a team seemed to hunt down the ball, bully Oxford and played at an intensity that Oxford were struggling to match. They bemoaned how Oxford like to pass short but in the first half were being forced to go long, where Wednesday would inevitably win the ball back in the centre and our 'land of the giants' (which I think was overstating our aerial prowess, but there you go). They came away from the first half saying it was the most Oxford had been outplayed all season and how lucky they were to go in at 1-1 and to survive the Hunt penalty shout (which they felt was a foul but he also made a meal of it).

They described how Oxford switched towards the end of the first half to a 3-5-2 to try and match us, a formation Carl Robinson hardly ever uses apparently, and as a result the game was more even in the second half. Still, before the third goal they still felt Oxford were hanging on and one commentator said on 70 mins they would settle for a draw right then.

Presented without much further comment from me, other than to say most fans on here don't seem to rate our performance as highly, and Dele-Bashiru seems to be coming in for a lot of stick on the player ratings thread.

We lost 3-2 after leading twice btw

7 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Nooo.. Not labelling you as anything. Never said that.. I think my comments are born out of that inconsistency. And the weariness that now comes with it.  Even the old heady days of League One success where we would destroy teams and the crowd would be bouncing,  seem like a far distant memory.  53 for me.. So.. Yep... It hurts. Ha ha. 

The almost constant disappointment of watching Wednesday gets all of us down to varying degrees.

In my late teens and twenties, I took defeats very badly and my bad mood cost me relationships with girlfriends and friends. Friends who were blades (obvious reason to fall out) and also fellow owls who didn’t seem to care as much as I did. (Ridiculous with hindsight).

With the benefit of age, I took a conscious decision not to let Wednesday get to me as much. I thought this may decrease my enjoyment of the rare good times, but it hasn’t. A good Wednesday away win still feels like what I imagine the best drug in the world to feel like.

No matter our opinions on things, we all want Wednesday to be the best they can be.

Keep the faith, we’ll be back 💙🦉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 23/01/2022 at 08:00, Kopparberg said:

Wednesday are a joke and team’s know this. 

Imagine being some of the clubs fans that've beaten us….

Johnny Big Balls Wednesday turn up, loads of Wednesday fans backing them every game, then they beat us after we’ve been in control for an hour, it turns into a great day for everyone else but Wednesday fans. 

******** sick of it 

These team must get a right buzz out of playing us in their stadiums.  And then realise were not actually that good.

We should have been 3 up at half time same as Plymouth and many more games this season.

Great going forward but,gash in final 3rd.Not good enough.

Yep shouldn't concede 3 but game should be out of sight before last 20 mins.Even in last 10 we should have scored 3.

crap forwards bar Windass.

Patched up defence always  going to concede..

UTO

29 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

These team must get a right buzz out of playing us in their stadiums.  And then realise were not actually that good.

Exactly

I read the report of the Oxford game 

It had things like “biggest attendance of the season” and “amazing comeback win for Oxford” 

To me it just read “Wednesday letting us down as usual” 

• Like 1