Jump to content

The View from the Opposition


Recommended Posts

I strongly agree with this post. I don’t have the technical skills (or the desire to learn them) to listen to the Wednesday commentary when we are away and often enjoy the opposites (commentators) view on our performance, when following on TV.

We went to the game yesterday but had to sit in the home end so heard a good few comments from the home fans to back this up.

Deli Bashiru was a real problem for Oxford and I’m amazed at the criticism of his performance.

Yes, we lost. But the difference between this performance and the abject capitulation at Sunderland, gave me a crumb of comfort going forward.

UTO

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched with the oxford commentary and yes they were extremely complimentary..however when Moore put Brown on the game was lost. He was so bad it was criminal. Dont want to see him ever again

 

Terrible.from the manager and Brown 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, horny owl said:

So Oxford have a manager that can change tactics to win games?
 

Wish we had one of those.

Exactly!

Wish we had a proper manager, not the nice bloke who is WAY OUT OF HIS DEPTH!

 

But then so is his boss.

 

Going nowhere but down with this shower of  cr@p!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

Our defence was the reason we lost.not for the 1st time.

free headers are the gift we keep giving and not starting, never mind bringing on our only recognised centre half we have available.

same old same old


We put away one of the 3 sitters at the end we don’t lose and possibly win the game.

 

The Brown one is absolutely criminal. 
 

I listened with the Oxford commentary as well. I thought they went a bit over the top but agreed first half we were head and shoulders the best side 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I like to listen to the away commentary when we play away from home. Adds to the away atmosphere. Sometimes they are gloating and other times very biased but sometimes they make good points and it is interesting to see another pair of eyes perception of our play. Earlier in the season at Ipswich they kept remarking how poor we were and how the Wing-Bannan-Adeniran midfield was unbalanced. Or at Wimbledon when they kept saying how unsettled we were from crosses into the box. I know we managed to draw both those games and today we lost, but today the Oxford commentators were a lot more impressed:

 

"The best team we've seen at the Kassam Stadium this season", and "this has the feel of an FA Cup tie with a powerful team from the higher divisions the way Wednesday are dominating the play".

 

Luongo was particularly picked out for praise as being "a nuisance" in the way he kept winning the ball and when he charged down a shot in the first half the commentators remarked why the Oxford players couldn't show the same desire as Wednesday did.

 

They also praised the strength of the Wednesday XI, singling out Dele-Bashiru and how he dominated McGuane, but also how we as a team seemed to hunt down the ball, bully Oxford and played at an intensity that Oxford were struggling to match. They bemoaned how Oxford like to pass short but in the first half were being forced to go long, where Wednesday would inevitably win the ball back in the centre and our 'land of the giants' (which I think was overstating our aerial prowess, but there you go). They came away from the first half saying it was the most Oxford had been outplayed all season and how lucky they were to go in at 1-1 and to survive the Hunt penalty shout (which they felt was a foul but he also made a meal of it).

 

They described how Oxford switched towards the end of the first half to a 3-5-2 to try and match us, a formation Carl Robinson hardly ever uses apparently, and as a result the game was more even in the second half. Still, before the third goal they still felt Oxford were hanging on and one commentator said on 70 mins they would settle for a draw right then.

 

Presented without much further comment from me, other than to say most fans on here don't seem to rate our performance as highly, and Dele-Bashiru seems to be coming in for a lot of stick on the player ratings thread.

 

We are close to being a really good side at this level.

 

Maybe close isn't good enough at this stage of the season but if we can tighten up at the back we could be tough to stop. I just hope storey is decent and we can sign another cb who is good in the air.

 

Despite all the doom and gloom we really aren't far away.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's an interesting thread, we all want and most expect Wednesday to win every game, but when we lose the knives come out and we look for villains to blame.

 

When we win playing pretty much the same team and the same system then it's generally praise all round.

 

We have problems, I'd love us to play four at the back and have fit defenders, we're badly missing Dom and Dunks. I'd also love to have a manager who can listen and learn, think on his feet and be a bit more imaginative - but we are where we are, and overall I think we've got a good enough squad for this league.

 

I may be delusional, over optimistic, and/or naive, but all I want is Wednesday to do well.

 

Come on Wednesday!

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

We are close to being a really good side at this level.

 

Maybe close isn't good enough at this stage of the season but if we can tighten up at the back we could be tough to stop. I just hope storey is decent and we can sign another cb who is good in the air.

 

Despite all the doom and gloom we really aren't far away.

 

I agree with this, but Moore simply hasn't been able to find a balance as of yet.

 

We started the season defensively solid and struggling to score; now we're scoring but wide open at the back.

 

Hopefully having defensive reinforcements will sort it, but we had Storey in the squad yesterday and left him on the bench.

 

There comes a point when 'if...' and 'close' need to become a reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I listened to it too...agree with what the OP says here.

 

We aren't that bad (fans expect way too much at the mo)...we're just not quite good enough.

 

Moore's hands are tied with recruitment. We've attracted loanees, free transfers and clubless players...it's all we can get right now.

 

Chansiri is to blame for the mess...it nearly paid off at Wembley but we are where we are now because of him alone.

 

Moore is shaping a bunch of missfits into a side...and he knows there are gaps. We also have a big player injury list.

 

We need patience to rebuild and get the team we want

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They say the mark of a good team is that they can play badly and win.

 

I worry what it says about us that we can apparently play so well and lose...

 

This. We've played badly countless times in the last few years and barely ever got anything from any of these games.

 

Several times this season we've played pretty well and still not won.

 

We don't have the raw ingredients to be successful and no matter who the players and managers have been, we've been exceptionally weak mentally for many years now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Onge said:

 

This. We've played badly countless times in the last few years and barely ever got anything from any of these games.

 

Several times this season we've played pretty well and still not won.

 

We don't have the raw ingredients to be successful and no matter who the players and managers have been, we've been exceptionally weak mentally for many years now.

We've played badly for large spells of many games this season and come away with 1 or 3 points, mainly earlier on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kopparberg said:


Wednesday are a joke and team’s know this. 
 

Imagine being some of the clubs fans that've beaten us….
 

Johnny Big Balls Wednesday turn up, loads of Wednesday fans backing them every game, then they beat us after we’ve been in control for an hour, it turns into a great day for everyone else but Wednesday fans. 
 

******** sick of it 

This^^^
Bored of it all to be fair. People on here go on about patience and waiting for some miracle to get us moving in the right direction. Think the closest we have been to that is Bruce and he binned us off for a handful of gold. 20 years plus outside the top flight and most of that plumbing the wrong end of the Championship and L1. Can’t even be considered to be a yo-yo club as we don’t have much aside from perpetual stagnation. Bored of it all. Only hope is we can get rid of the cluster that is the current management and see the club sold to someone with the strategic vision to get us moving in the right direction. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I like to listen to the away commentary when we play away from home. Adds to the away atmosphere. Sometimes they are gloating and other times very biased but sometimes they make good points and it is interesting to see another pair of eyes perception of our play. Earlier in the season at Ipswich they kept remarking how poor we were and how the Wing-Bannan-Adeniran midfield was unbalanced. Or at Wimbledon when they kept saying how unsettled we were from crosses into the box. I know we managed to draw both those games and today we lost, but today the Oxford commentators were a lot more impressed:

 

"The best team we've seen at the Kassam Stadium this season", and "this has the feel of an FA Cup tie with a powerful team from the higher divisions the way Wednesday are dominating the play".

 

Luongo was particularly picked out for praise as being "a nuisance" in the way he kept winning the ball and when he charged down a shot in the first half the commentators remarked why the Oxford players couldn't show the same desire as Wednesday did.

 

They also praised the strength of the Wednesday XI, singling out Dele-Bashiru and how he dominated McGuane, but also how we as a team seemed to hunt down the ball, bully Oxford and played at an intensity that Oxford were struggling to match. They bemoaned how Oxford like to pass short but in the first half were being forced to go long, where Wednesday would inevitably win the ball back in the centre and our 'land of the giants' (which I think was overstating our aerial prowess, but there you go). They came away from the first half saying it was the most Oxford had been outplayed all season and how lucky they were to go in at 1-1 and to survive the Hunt penalty shout (which they felt was a foul but he also made a meal of it).

 

They described how Oxford switched towards the end of the first half to a 3-5-2 to try and match us, a formation Carl Robinson hardly ever uses apparently, and as a result the game was more even in the second half. Still, before the third goal they still felt Oxford were hanging on and one commentator said on 70 mins they would settle for a draw right then.

 

Presented without much further comment from me, other than to say most fans on here don't seem to rate our performance as highly, and Dele-Bashiru seems to be coming in for a lot of stick on the player ratings thread.

Very interesting to get the opposing teams perspective on the game.

Thank you for this👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

 

We are close to being a really good side at this level.

 

Maybe close isn't good enough at this stage of the season but if we can tighten up at the back we could be tough to stop. I just hope storey is decent and we can sign another cb who is good in the air.

 

Despite all the doom and gloom we really aren't far away.

Good post!👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is the not scoring when we are on top which is even more of a problem than the defending. If we score as clinically as our opponents seem to do against us we put games to bed.

We need Windass to be fit every game and to continue being as clinical as he has been recently. We need to be much quicker to get on the end of crosses and ricochets in the box and quicker to get shots off in the box.

We were dangerous every time we went forward yesterday. Their second goal was a fortunate ricochet (2 if counting BPF's point blank save bouncing straight back at Taylor) and came at exactly the right time for them. If we had scored one of any number of chances we had before then it would have felt like a consolation goal to them not a momentum shifter.

I too don't know why Dele Bashiru gets so much stick. He can be a handful at this level. He looks cumbersome sometimes but he very difficult to get off the ball. His decision making and end product will improve with games.

Both goals were as good, movement and passing wise, as I have seen since the days of Carlos. Even after going 3-2 down we could and probably should have won 4 or 5-3 with Paterson, Brown and Gregory missing sitters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great post and I think highlights that we had the better team however Oxford had the better manager who was willing to change tactics and knew what he was doing compared to us who seem to keep the same tactics, if it works it works, if it doesn't then it doesn't.  There is a reason Oxford are where they are and clearly they have a much more competent manager....

 

Knowing DC's lotalty to managers though my prediction is we will just miss out on promotion despite a good go in the last few games which will keep Moore into next season which will be much of the same with us just outside the playoff places and we will have to wait until the end of the 22/23 season before DC finally loses patience by which time the likes of Bannan, Hunt, Windass will all leave, a new manager will have to come in and start from scratch which will be a struggle, will be gone before the end of the next season and will take a few more managers to finally get us promoted...  Were in for a rough few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game is gone... 

 

0 points

 

Makes absolutely no difference how we played.. Because the next game is a different day, and a different team to play against. 

 

The Sunderland game, the perfect example.. We had played half decent the game before and capitulated the next. 

 

There is zero consistency in this team, other than. 

 

A. Their heads drop. 

B. They can't see out the last ten minutes. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Beggers belief that some people see a defeat as a positive. lol

 

Maybe some people like to look for positives that are clearly there rather than being in a continual state of despair, which is no way to live your life.

 

Nobody I have read on here is saying a defeat is a positive. Some are saying if you look past the score line (of which a lot aren’t capable of doing) we were the better side for large parts of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All well and good being the best team to play there, but that won't get us 3 points. We have a squad of players good enough to make the top 2, and they do play good football in spells but that's the minimum requirement for a squad of players that good. The inability to see games out is making us so easy to play against, if ever a team are 1 goal behind with 10 minutes to go the inevitable always happens. Bet we'd be top of the league if matches finished after 85 minutes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...