The View from the Opposition

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

I like to listen to the away commentary when we play away from home. Adds to the away atmosphere. Sometimes they are gloating and other times very biased but sometimes they make good points and it is interesting to see another pair of eyes perception of our play. Earlier in the season at Ipswich they kept remarking how poor we were and how the Wing-Bannan-Adeniran midfield was unbalanced. Or at Wimbledon when they kept saying how unsettled we were from crosses into the box. I know we managed to draw both those games and today we lost, but today the Oxford commentators were a lot more impressed:

"The best team we've seen at the Kassam Stadium this season", and "this has the feel of an FA Cup tie with a powerful team from the higher divisions the way Wednesday are dominating the play".

Luongo was particularly picked out for praise as being "a nuisance" in the way he kept winning the ball and when he charged down a shot in the first half the commentators remarked why the Oxford players couldn't show the same desire as Wednesday did.

They also praised the strength of the Wednesday XI, singling out Dele-Bashiru and how he dominated McGuane, but also how we as a team seemed to hunt down the ball, bully Oxford and played at an intensity that Oxford were struggling to match. They bemoaned how Oxford like to pass short but in the first half were being forced to go long, where Wednesday would inevitably win the ball back in the centre and our 'land of the giants' (which I think was overstating our aerial prowess, but there you go). They came away from the first half saying it was the most Oxford had been outplayed all season and how lucky they were to go in at 1-1 and to survive the Hunt penalty shout (which they felt was a foul but he also made a meal of it).

They described how Oxford switched towards the end of the first half to a 3-5-2 to try and match us, a formation Carl Robinson hardly ever uses apparently, and as a result the game was more even in the second half. Still, before the third goal they still felt Oxford were hanging on and one commentator said on 70 mins they would settle for a draw right then.

Presented without much further comment from me, other than to say most fans on here don't seem to rate our performance as highly, and Dele-Bashiru seems to be coming in for a lot of stick on the player ratings thread.

Yeah I watched it with their commentary and it was interesting to hear how good they thought we were. 

To be honest we did actually play really well, we just didn't take our chances and we couldn't defend. What do you expect with an attack minded winger at centre half though. 

Our fans reaction is more aimed at Moore making the same mistakes and the team throwing the win away rather than the way we played. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Fair play to Oxford, they held on, kept in the game and in the end, were beneficiaries of our own suicide once again.

Wednesday are a joke and team’s know this. 

Imagine being some of the clubs fans that've beaten us….

Johnny Big Balls Wednesday turn up, loads of Wednesday fans backing them every game, then they beat us after we’ve been in control for an hour, it turns into a great day for everyone else but Wednesday fans. 

******** sick of it 

• Like 5

I don’t think anyone is questioning the fact we played some good football yesterday but it is the usual self destruct theme.  

There comes a point when everyone in the team, the coaching staff and manager has to take responsibility and win games.  It is a winning business and I am becoming frustrated in hearing we played well for large parts of the game only to throw it off and lose.  

Assuming he’s fit DM has to play the new fella at CB, stop talking about volume and other waffle, lay into the players this week (DMs a big fella - why can’t he fool the players like Fergie and Clough?) and make sure we win our next game and the next and the one after that to the end of the season.  

Whilst I support DM to the end of the season and then take stock, I don’t want to hear excuses and sound bites.  It is a time for action.  Get a grip Moore.

28 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I listened to the Oxford commentary as well.

And having looked at the player ratings thread last night, I thought I'd watched another game. 

It's always the same.

All sense of objectivity goes out of the window as soon as we lose, and people start throwing the 3s and 4s around.

It then becomes a futile exercise.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

That switch and our inability to do something different won them the game…

Our defence was the reason we lost.not for the 1st time.

free headers are the gift we keep giving and not starting, never mind bringing on our only recognised centre half we have available.

same old same old