Mendez-Laing

Guest FoxOwl12

We are lucky to be able to offer any contracts at all bearing in mind the £millions lost due to no revenue because of the Covid restrictions .

6 hours ago, katie melua said:

Some of the posts on this thread 

I can just imagine the posters getting their knickers in a twist over this would do the same had we given NML a one or 2 year deal, only for him to get an injury that keeps him out for 5 months

Booo, Chansiri out, signing player on a deal only for him to get injured, stop signing crooks, give not good enough youth players a chance etc etc

A 2 month contract with a view to extend depending on how he does - fair deal. If not good enough, or he got injured, we've not lost out. 

Yes!!! Hallelujah for Chasiri, the saviour of our club!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FoxOwl12 said:

We are lucky to be able to offer any contracts at all bearing in mind the £millions lost due to no revenue because of the Covid restrictions .

Doesn’t that apply to every club world wide? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But he is good enough and hasn’t been injured yet. So now run the risk of losing him.

Hopefully will turn out ok and he’ll sign but we make some strange decisions in my view which could easily bite us in the arse. 

We did the exact same with Tommy Johnson a very long time ago

We had him here on a 3 month contract, played 8 games for us scoring 3 goals and then we said thank you and goodbye. Had a few decent games for us but back then, we couldn't afford his wages for him to continue as well as him starting to pick up niggles here and there.

No risk to us, we gave him a few games and he then went up to Kilmarnock and only played 10 games there. Gillingham were lucky that they got him playing regularly and injury free.

Tommy Johnson didn't have history when we gave him a deal. Laing has, no one would touch him before we gave him a contract given his past endevours. Middlesbrough only gave him a 3 month contract before moving him on. 2 month contract with a view to extend to a year or end of the season results is fine. Given he's had two good games, there's many more games out there. Berahino was outstanding against Shrewsbury at Hillsborough, since he's become a non league forward sadly

I remember Nile Ranger and Lewis McGugan busting a gut to get a deal somewhere then going on their 'can't be bothered' seat once a contract is tied down. 

• Like 6

Well if he goes to Wigan, and with Theo having finished up at MK Dons, we'll effectively have handed promotion rivals a helping hand to stay ahead of us. Can't imagine this sort of thing happening at other clubs or with other managers.

Seems very late to sort it out given that Laing has been training with us for a few months.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FoxOwl12 said:

All the more reason to be careful and not let the more effective players go when you've got them, as with Theo and now maybe with Laing. Pity we didn't sign Berahino on a short term contract, however. 

12 hours ago, vulva said:

On the face of it the club haven’t done well here, but they can’t win. There are threads on here about the club giving long term contracts to aging players, and how it’s knackered is in the past. NML looks a good player, but, he’s had 1 1/2 decent games. 

Had he not scored and played well on Saturday  this thread would look very different. 

Fine margins. 

You're far too sensible and well reasoned for this forum vulva! Put it well though, in the other games he didn't really do anything, then a good game against Plymouth and it's a hot topic if he leaves. For what it's worth i hope we sign him until the end of the season, now he's sharp and fit he would be an important player for the last few months. Would be a shame to get him fit for the few games he was here for Wigan to reap the benefits in the long run. 

• Like 3

Mendez Laing who has spent almost all of his career in the league above and has won promotions gets a 3 month deal.

Berahino who has been playing in the equivalent of non league standard, no other club would touch him, radio station pundits calling him out as having a bad attitude, GETS 1 YEAR.

Where is the consistency.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Morepork said:

This thread has broken me.........

Against Plymouth he was a constant threat with his blistering pace. He's improved game on game and looked like he could have a massive impact on the rest of our season.......now this.

If he checks out, I reckon you'll be right, it will have a massive impact on the rest of our season 😞 

Don't expect he would leave. He seems to get on with the other players and we were the club who gave him a chance to resurrect his career (well after Middlesbrough) and opportunity for regular game time.

WIth regard to WIgan's interest, wages have never been a problem, we are restricted on transfer fees, but haven't had similar issues attracting players on good wages. Furthermore, by and large since Moore arrived, we have a good track record of extending the contracts of those we want to keep, not like before.

I's be very surprised if he went anywhere.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Don't expect he would leave. He seems to get on with the other players and we were the club who gave him a chance to resurrect his career (well after Middlesbrough) and opportunity for regular game time.

WIth regard to WIgan's interest, wages have never been a problem, we are restricted on transfer fees, but haven't had similar issues attracting players on good wages. Furthermore, by and large since Moore arrived, we have a good track record of extending the contracts of those we want to keep, not like before.

I's be very surprised if he went anywhere.

Exactly. The club knew what they were doing surely when they agreed a short term deal I would imagine with a follow on longer term deal on the table. Just wish they would let us know so we can all get off our high horses. 
All the media noise is just a distraction. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Exactly. The club knew what they were doing surely when they agreed a short term deal I would imagine with a follow on longer term deal on the table. Just wish they would let us know so we can all get off our high horses. 
All the media noise is just a distraction. 

Agree, I do wonder where the media noise came from though. Hopefully the situation is put to bed once we hear from Moore this afternoon