Mendez-Laing

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, you got me there.

Emojis say so much.

We all know that emoji basically means ‘FFS Wednesday’.

So you thought the worst too. I don’t blame you. We hardly have the best track record of making the right decisions in recent times. 

You could say I’m doubling down but at least I’m not pretending I wasn’t worried! 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We all know that emoji basically means ‘FFS Wednesday’.

So you thought the worst too. I don’t blame you. We hardly have the best track record of making the right decisions in recent times. 

You could say I’m doubling down but at least I’m not pretending I wasn’t worried! 

I thought it would be a shame to lose him based off last weekend, but I  wasnt going to slate the club for being somewhat pragmatic with this particular player.

Just now, SiJ said:

I thought it would be a shame to lose him based off last weekend, but I  wasnt going to slate the club for being somewhat pragmatic with this particular player.

Don’t think it was pragmatic really. Not sure why you offer a player on a 2 month contract and let it expire during the window which could lead to other clubs taking him. 

If he’s good enough to be offered a deal in the first place, I’d have just given him until the end of the season. That would just be a 6 month or so deal. He was on trial for long enough and Moore said he wanted to sign him pretty quickly. 

If no club wanted to touch him with a barge pole I doubt his wage is that much of a problem. Find it strange, unless it’s being reported inaccurately. 

I mean we've essentially given him a trial with the short-term contract and he's done enough to convince Darren Moore (who I would think has some say in these matters) that he would be worth a longer term deal. Probably not just performances too. What sort of character is he? Does he integrate well into the group? Clubs weren't exactly lining up around the block to take him a few months back were they. 

One suspects that excellent display against Plymouth (was pretty good in a cameo against Wycombe too) was enough to convince Moore to extend the deal to the summer. 

At the end of the day, we are a club operating under financial restrictions and always seem to have the looming spectre of FFP hanging over us. I can't be overly critical of the club for being somewhat pragmatic for once. Mendez-Laing is a decent player and I think he could be a real asset going forward, but you can't get away from the fact that the last couple of years have been like a f*cking mare for him. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Give over.

Joe Crann and Alex Miller do a great job and the standard of Wednesday journalists is better than before.

Ian Vickers, Tony Prichett, Paul Thompson were far better back in days of no internet to get a headline. 

Guest Willow Owl
5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Seems like the journalists had been fed some false info. 

More likely made it up to create headlines and fan anger.

Really poor journalism 

4 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Really poor journalism 

Don’t think any journo would have to try too hard to create fan anger amongst our social media nutcases 

If he’s had false info it’s not exactly end of the world is it,   Who’s to say there wasn’t anything in it and DM was just pushing it under the carpet 

10 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Really poor journalism 

Yeah thats it.

They sat down together over a coffee and thought lets make a rumour up to ******** off  Willow Owl.

Then sat back cackling.

Thats exactly what they did.

Or maybe just maybe their source was incorrect for once. 

But in good faith went with it.

• Haha 1