Parking ticket side of The Crown pub

Hi, I like many others at Saturdays game were parked in a layby on Lowther Road at the side of the crown pub . I got a parking ticket which I'm appealing against.  Just wondered if anyone else got a ticket in the same layby as after 1st conversation with the council I may be able to get mine rescinded. Thought we could pool our arguments if anyone did get a ticket ? UTO, FTB.

There’s been tickets issued down there for years, probably two or three times a season. I noticed on Saturday at least four cars with tickets. The only ones without had a disabled exemption card that allows you to park more or less anywhere.

Im sure we’ve debated on here before: if you park next to double yellow lines (on the non-road side) you’re breaking the law. That said, there’s no justification for yellow lines down a non-residential side road like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mate had his car nicked from there when he was at the match years ago.  Coppers rang he up a couple of weeks later with the good news that it had been found intact and the bad news it was in Cornwall.  Cost he more to recover it than the car was worth.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Mate had his car nicked from there when he was at the match years ago.  Coppers rang he up a couple of weeks later with the good news that it had been found intact and the bad news it was in Cornwall.  Cost he more to recover it than the car was worth.

I had mine nicked from there years ago after we went into the Crown after football training one night...reported it to the police then two days later saw it parked in a car park near Snig Hill police station went into the station and an officer from the car theft team team gave me a bunch of keys saying " go and steal it back and drop the keys back here " Good job I'm not dodgy or I'd have copied the keys 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I got a parking ticket there a few years ago but was unable to have it rescinded. I was told that if you are parked between the yellow line and the buildings you are parked illegally. Decided to pay the £30 fine rather than appealing and receiving a £60  pound fine as it was then. They target this area on match days but seem to ignore those parked on the pavement on Penistone Road between the ground and the leisure centre .

4 hours ago, Ozzie said:

Hi, I like many others at Saturdays game were parked in a layby on Lowther Road at the side of the crown pub . I got a parking ticket which I'm appealing against. 

As far as I can see there aren’t any lay-bys on that road. Did you park on the footway in what used to be a vehicular entrance to one of the factories?

It is worth knowing, that yellow lines apply to the whole of the highway, which includes footways and verges, so even if you were parked off the carriageway, the yellow line does apply to you.

If you are contesting the ticket, you might do well to put the details on one of the forums like Pepipoo, where there are people who really do know about this subject and will advise you. 

• Like 1

I’ve had loads of tickets from parking at the football. Usually it’s missing seeing the parking restriction sign or something similar. Nowadays if I need to park close I just cough up the money for the Hillsborough Park car park. 
In my experience the only way you will get out of paying is on technicalities like wrong number plate, incorrect addresses and stuff like that. Really scrutinise the ticket and see if the issuer has messed anything up. If not cough up and forget about it. 

• Like 1

yet i know a van parked whats been there 5 months its untaxed and no mot reported 3 times and its still there . they have wrote to the last owner but its still there .. cant they get a fine ~? or is it not an earner as the owner has abandoned it . 

5 minutes ago, morganowl said:

yet i know a van parked whats been there 5 months its untaxed and no mot reported 3 times and its still there . they have wrote to the last owner but its still there .. cant they get a fine ~? or is it not an earner as the owner has abandoned it . 

It is often difficult if there’s no registered keeper. DVLA can deal with it for not being taxed while on the highway and they can tow and crush it.

The Council will only be able to enforce one penalty if it is parked in contravention of a waiting restriction. They can in theory ticket it daily, but the independent adjudicators who decide on appeals against parking penalties will only tend to uphold one penalty if the keeper appeals them and loses. The Council would only tow it away if it was parked dangerously or is obstructing roadworks. Towing vehicles actually costs them money as the fine and costs they can charge doesn’t cover the actual cost.

5 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

I had mine nicked from there years ago after we went into the Crown after football training one night...reported it to the police then two days later saw it parked in a car park near Snig Hill police station went into the station and an officer from the car theft team team gave me a bunch of keys saying " go and steal it back and drop the keys back here " Good job I'm not dodgy or I'd have copied the keys 

Was it a Montego estate? Any set of keys worked in one of them.

19 hours ago, bobness said:

Was it a Montego estate? Any set of keys worked in one of them.

A Montego Estate? You’d have been lucky to spot one of those piles of crap 3 years ago. Long since all gone to the scrappers. (Cue somebody on here with a mint example in their heated garage). 😀

Up there with all the rest of the BL rubbish like the Allaggro and that door wedge Princess monstrosity. 

On 19/01/2022 at 08:31, Ozzie said:

Hi, I like many others at Saturdays game were parked in a layby on Lowther Road at the side of the crown pub . I got a parking ticket which I'm appealing against.  Just wondered if anyone else got a ticket in the same layby as after 1st conversation with the council I may be able to get mine rescinded. Thought we could pool our arguments if anyone did get a ticket ? UTO, FTB.

The South side of Lowther road has some unrestricted parking but the North side has double and single yellow lines all along it.

Is this the 'lay by' you mean?

Screenshot_20220119-111229_Maps.jpg.ee6a4d8c1e4e4c5cd830e7ea41b4e661.jpg

Screenshot_20220119-111330_Maps.thumb.jpg.017f139936258b86e2ed836e1a615f30.jpg

If so I think you're on a sticky wicket as the no waiting also applies to any path or verge 'inside' the yellow line and the sign says no waiting between 8.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.

You could appeal if there are any wording faults with the PCN but I think you might have to take the hit of the £30 early payment and put it down to experience.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The South side of Lowther road has some unrestricted parking but the North side has double and single yellow lines all along it.

Is this the 'lay by' you mean?

Screenshot_20220119-111229_Maps.jpg.ee6a4d8c1e4e4c5cd830e7ea41b4e661.jpg

Screenshot_20220119-111330_Maps.thumb.jpg.017f139936258b86e2ed836e1a615f30.jpg

If so I think you're on a sticky wicket as the no waiting also applies to any path or verge 'inside' the yellow line and the sign says no waiting between 8.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.

You could appeal if there are any wording faults with the PCN but I think you might have to take the hit of the £30 early payment and put it down to experience.

How would you stand in the eyes of civil law if you weren’t waiting but cottaging? Just asking for a friend 🤔

On 19/01/2022 at 08:31, Ozzie said:

Youre getting nowt back, and rightly so. 

Looks pretty clear cut where youre allowed to park and no