Fulham goal scoring record is on another planet

10 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Both your posts are spot on.

The yawning chasm between the EFL and the PL is ridiculous, teams like Fulham that gamble with FFP and successfully make the leap, can't cling on to the PL dream and then slide back, but have filled their rucksacks with enough PL gold to make it back the next season.

But the unlucky ones who don't make it, us included, end up in front of the headmaster with our pants down, take the punishment for a failed gamble and end up in league one detention.

The PL is all about money and not about football, I think it's everything that is wrong with the game today.

Do you honestly think that it’s down to bad luck that you’re in detention?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Willie Henderson said:

Fair point, but if you gamble with FFP and overspend you need a bit of luck.

But you also need to spend wisely, which we're not the best at admittedly.

There is the gamble approach but spending it wisely bit is probably the more important part here.

I think 16 of the current 24 Championship teams have received parachute payments since they were introduced mid-00s. That's 16 teams who have at some point had an advantage, not to mention a handful in League One. Cardiff have been promoted as many times as Fulham in the past decade yet have nothing to show for it. Huddersfield admitted they now have nothing to show for it and blew the lot.

Norwich to their credit know how to produce or find players and sell them on at a profit, see their most expensive departures. You could criticise them for lack of ambition but it's a more sustainable model than others. Fulham isn't as good, but since relegation in 2014 have received around £40m for academy players alone. Could have got more if youth players didn't reject contracts (Dembele now at Lyon, Elliott now at Liverpool, Carvalho currently there) so not always lucky. Fulham have a Cat 1 academy which is meant to be one of the best in the country now.

Wednesday had a couple of seasons of being a really good side but didn't sell anyone to sustain it. I know Brentford's model isn't one that can apply to everyone but they pretty much managed to challenge for promotion for what amounts to two FFP cycles/six years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Putney said:

Brentford's model isn't one that can apply to everyone but they pretty much managed to challenge for promotion for what amounts to two FFP cycles/six years.

So they had to do everything nearly perfectly for 6 years to get promoted. If that’s not a soft ring fence I don’t know what is 

34 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

So they had to do everything nearly perfectly for 6 years to get promoted. If that’s not a soft ring fence I don’t know what is 

They haven't done everything perfectly but found something that worked. It doesn't just happen overnight especially for a club of their size.

On 19/01/2022 at 12:49, FreshOwl said:

Fulham and Norwich should just be in their own mini league where they play against each other eternally 

Haven't played each other since 2018. Keep crossing over the same years

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Mitrovic has now scored 30 goals - 1 behind the record set by Toney Last season.

How many will he get? 40+?

I suspect so.

Guy Whittingham scored 42 league goals for pompey in that league before its rebrand.  That has to be in his sights.

Surely Mitro is worth a punt by some Premier league team? I know the window is closed, and that he's never set the Prem alight, but Fulham like Norwich just come straight back down every time, i'm sure he could do it in the prem for another side who create chances and dominate games more than Fulham would. Maybe a Southampton? An Everton? Palace? You can't score 30 every season in the champ and just be useless in the prem, surely he can do it for someone up there