Danny Bath

3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I always like the “they are a 1 club city” argument. It’s why the manchester clubs and all the teams in London are so small.

It helps when 90% of your fan base live in different cities

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, s29wfc said:

If we aren't a big club then Sunderland aren't either,  both in league 1, both on the decline, what makes them currently bigger than us? We will sell out every away allocation this season just as they probably will. 

Take off the rose tinted spectacles and we aren’t a good proposition. Every club has what they would call a good fanbase. Behind the scenes we are still a mess and most people know it.

We won’t be anyones first choice destination and some of our fans need to realise this.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, El Toro said:

Take off the rose tinted spectacles and we aren’t a good proposition. Every club has what they would call a good fanbase. Behind the scenes we are still a mess and most people know it.

We won’t be anyones first choice destination and some of our fans need to realise this.

The harsh reality is we’re probably not even some players third or fourth choice. 

• Like 2

I imagine the fact they are 11 points clear of us and a potential promotion bonus when they get back into the Championship is a selling point.

Batth is in his 30's now so a promotion bonus and more chance of Championship football next year is probably more of a draw than we are right now.

Fair enough, would have been a good signing, but considering a few other defenders starting to be linked maybe our interest wasn't that serious or Sunderland always a preferred destination.

We've also got Hutchinson back now and Iorfa, Dunkley to come back,.so plenty of experience already at the club (when fit).

20 minutes ago, El Toro said:

This unfortunately

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, El Toro said:

Unfortunately you are 100% correct. 

• Like 1

Batth probably got this one last big move in his career ? Sunderland had recent investment/takeover more cash than us , at least gona finish in play offs if not automatic unfortunately for us it’ll be a no brainer for him barring him still having a soft spot for us? Think this why we been linked with Preston lad ? Wouldn’t surprise me if it was agent that leaked it

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

Poor do when you’ve got to go back to before Danny Batth was born to make an argument we’re a similar sized club.

We haven’t averaged over 30k since the 1960s, they’ve regularly averaged over 40k since the stadium of light was opened and are still getting 30k+ crowds in league 1.

When was the last year we had a higher average gate than Sunderland?

Its not poor, I just think we are similar sized clubs. They have the higher crowds you would expect from a one club city. Your whole conversation is about the crowds.  My point, which you have ignored, is we are both only successful historically; theirs more historically than ours. To me similar sized clubs. I would say Forest are bigger than Sunderland because of their success in the European Cup - even if it was years ago. Still counts in the 'big club' stakes. But what about the crowds you cry..............................?

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, 83owl said:

I always like the “they are a 1 club city” argument. It’s why the manchester clubs and all the teams in London are so small.

If United didn't exist we would get bigger crowds? You don't agree? There are plenty of small clubs in London and the city is big enough to support a few big ones, obviuosly. Last time we got promoted we had the second highest attendance on the day - bigger even than Tottenham who were playing Newcastle to secure their spot in the Champions League for the first time. Manchester is an exception due largely the the worldwide appeal of United and Money of City.

11 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Haven’t they offered him an 18 month deal? Maybe we couldn’t commit beyond the end of the season?

At 31 he’ll be looking for the best deal on and off the pitch. They look a better fit for that sadly. 

Apparently he wasn’t our number one target !  #uto 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Its not poor, I just think we are similar sized clubs. They have the higher crowds you would expect from a one club city. Your whole conversation is about the crowds.  My point, which you have ignored, is we are both only successful historically; theirs more historically than ours. To me similar sized clubs. I would say Forest are bigger than Sunderland because of their success in the European Cup - even if it was years ago. Still counts in the 'big club' stakes. But what about the crowds you cry..............................?

What do you mean by ‘successful historically’? Sunderland spent 10 consecutive seasons in the premier league from 2007 to 2017 which is considered a success in modern day football.

Are Newcastle, Spurs, Villa, Leeds and Everton all only ‘successful historically’ too?

We’ve not been in the top flight for over 20 years, haven’t had a ground upgrade for nearly 30 years and haven’t averaged 30k in a season for over 50 years 

22 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

If United didn't exist we would get bigger crowds? You don't agree? There are plenty of small clubs in London and the city is big enough to support a few big ones, obviuosly. Last time we got promoted we had the second highest attendance on the day - bigger even than Tottenham who were playing Newcastle to secure their spot in the Champions League for the first time. Manchester is an exception due largely the the worldwide appeal of United and Money of City.

Got to remember Sunderland's population is a third of Sheffields. Never totally agreed with scenario that if the Blunts weren't about we would have double the attendances.  Sunderland have had 40 seasons of 30000+ averages. Both Sheffield clubs combined in 215 seasons have hit 30K on just 20 occasions split 50/50. Without the 7 we had between 1948/53 we would have only had 3 in the remaining 100 seasons. In that period we had 4 at 40K plus which the Blunts have never had. By the way Sunderland only became a City in 1992.

Guest Jack the Hat
18 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

What do you mean by ‘successful historically’? Sunderland spent 10 consecutive seasons in the premier league from 2007 to 2017 which is considered a success in modern day football.

Are Newcastle, Spurs, Villa, Leeds and Everton all only ‘successful historically’ too?

We’ve not been in the top flight for over 20 years, haven’t had a ground upgrade for nearly 30 years and haven’t averaged 30k in a season for over 50 years 

Winning things.

Guest Jack the Hat
Just now, Buckwheat said:

Got to remember Sunderland's population is a third of Sheffields. Never totally agreed with scenario that if the Blunts weren't about we would have double the attendances.  Sunderland have had 40 seasons of 30000+ averages. Both Sheffield clubs combined in 215 seasons have hit 30K on just 20 occasions split 50/50. Without the 7 we had between 1948/53 we would have only had 3 in the remaining 100 seasons. In that period we had 4 at 40K plus which the Blunts have never had. By the way Sunderland only became a City in 1992.

So if United didn't exist, our crowds wouldn't get better? Who mentioned double?