Windass' goal against Plymouth - Goal of the Season?

Could Windass' goal against Plymouth be the Goal of the Season so far? He's not gone on a mazy run and curled it into the top corner, or finished off an intricate passing move turning the opposition defence inside out, or hit a "howitzer" volley from a dropping ball, but what he did showed ultimate technique - he's brought down a long forward pass with his first touch, set himself up perfectly with his second touch and then scored with his third touch, surprising the opposition with the speed of his decision.  That, for me, Ladies and Gent's, makes that a real contender for our goal of the season.  

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Good finish but not even close to goal of the season

Bannan solo effort

Kamberi lob

Paterson first time left foot smash

Adeniran lob

Without even thinking these are all better in my mind

I think Windass' goal was better than all of those.

The skill to watch a 70-yard pass over his shoulder, kill it dead, turn his marker, and slot it home was simply a cut above anything else I've seen from a Wednesday player this season.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Could Windass' goal against Plymouth be the Goal of the Season so far? He's not gone on a mazy run and curled it into the top corner, or finished off an intricate passing move turning the opposition defence inside out, or hit a "howitzer" volley from a dropping ball, but what he did showed ultimate technique - he's brought down a long forward pass with his first touch, set himself up perfectly with his second touch and then scored with his third touch, surprising the opposition with the speed of his decision.  That, for me, Ladies and Gent's, makes that a real contender for our goal of the season.  

It was a great goal, no doubt about that.

Possibly not quite GOS but, if you take into account the context of Windass's strike - that we'd just conceded and, for the second time in the match, could have gone into meltdown instead - that gives some extra bonus points to Windass's goal.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Good finish but not even close to goal of the season

Bannan solo effort

Kamberi lob

Paterson first time left foot smash

Adeniran lob

Without even thinking these are all better in my mind

I disagree with this ^

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

Best moment of the season so far for me. If I watched the other contenders again I might realise their merits too but this was the goal I'm going to remember for longest. That first touch alone had me drooling but then to spin and put it in the back of the net with such apparent ease was just ridiculous.

For this reason ^

58 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think Windass' goal was better than all of those.

The skill to watch a 70-yard pass over his shoulder, kill it dead, turn his marker, and slot it home was simply a cut above anything else I've seen from a Wednesday player this season.

And this ^

Technically and in respect of awareness, Windass’ goal was the best I’ve seen for a long while. It was sublime. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

I was in the South, level with the penalty box. That first touch was absolutely first class.

If Salah had scored that, it would have been tweeted, replayed, retweeted and replayed again.

Best goal I've seen live for years.

Exactly, if Salah (or any other top Prem player) does that the it’s goal of the month. 

If Messi or Ronaldo scores that, people would be saying that only Messi or Ronaldo can scored that type of goal. 

Windass’ goal in absolutely “top drawer” and why I put it forward as Goal of the Season in my OP. 

• Like 1

It was a good goal and a great first touch, but I think watching Kamberi and Berahino had led to some lowering of first touch expectations of our strikers 

Gregory kills long balls dead all game, Jack Hunt regularly does it, Bannan too. 

If you want to see a similar goal deserving of all the hyperbole of this thread, then watch this: