Windass - A Class Act

He’s definitely a very important player for us and along side Luongo is really the difference between us being average and good. 

I worry about his injury problems though and am thinking it might be worth using him as an impact sub more than a starter. In this league 30 mins of Windass each game might just be enough to turn draws to wins. I’d rather that than him get injured after another three or four games. 

• Like 5

Fit Windass should have been nailed on to score 20 goals a season,in L1 totally agree,even though we should remember he was a make shift Championship striker,from an attacking midfielder.

I would have liked to see Windass and Gregory up front in a 2,with Patterson playing an attacking role behind them

Would have fancied us to hammer anyone with that line up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Luongo is the key to our success...

He was the key to unlock Plymouth's defence, every time he played a forward pass, they split in 2. Class player.

To be fair though, Windass came on, first touch to control, second to turn, third to kill off any chance of a Plymouth comeback. Did his job in 5 minutes of coming on, and after a decent amount of time on the sidelines. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

Fit Windass should have been nailed on to score 20 goals a season,in L1 totally agree,even though we should remember he was a make shift Championship striker,from an attacking midfielder.

I would have liked to see Windass and Gregory up front in a 2,with Patterson playing an attacking role behind them

Would have fancied us to hammer anyone with that line up.

Then Luongo, Bannan and Adeniran sat behind Paterson. 

That'd scare most defenses. 

• Like 1

Too good for this league.

I think he’ll see the season out here though.

Theres 4-5 that if they leave in the summer who can blame them. Playing beneath themselves so if we can’t get promoted this season with them I’ve no complaints if they want to leave come July. 

• Like 3

We have players in the team who couldn't score at Roxy's (80's night club where if you couldn't score, you  must have two heads or summat)

Then we have a player like Windass who can take a ball down with his back to the goal, spin, and know exactly where the goal is

I'm a big Bannan fan, he's great at what he does, but he should be getting 10-15 goals with his talent, he missed a couple more today, he was facing the goal and still missed the target

Windass instantly knows where the goal is, it's natural, you can't teach that skill, you either have it or you don't

• Like 6

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

1182978199_Screenshot2022-01-15at19_56_09.png.42d4541037472760166adb2ab9984dd1.png

I wonder whether those who questioned why some Owlstalkers thought Windass could bag a hatful in this division, or thought we were overrating the impact he might have, are starting to see the potential yet?

It's early days following his recent injury issues of course, but he's now featured in 4 League One matches, scoring a goal every 49 minutes and having a direct goal involvement every 37 minutes.

There's no way he'll keep insane ratios like that going, of course, but surely even his biggest doubters can see what he could offer to this squad if he can just stay fit between now and the end of the season?

That goal today was a perfect example of his importance to our team: we simply have nobody else who scores goals like that, and his calmness under pressure finally swung the game decisively in our favour and killed off Plymouth once and for all.

That was a goal of premier league quality 

• Like 2

I don't really get the premise of the OP. I don't think I've met any fan who thinks JW isn't very good at this level.

Windass has the arrogance and self belief required to play at a club like this. He doesn't play the victim and puts demands on himself.

We just need to keep him on the pitch so he can deliver. 

It was a bit strange today, even though he didn't start, just the fact we had him on the bench raring to go seemed to be a huge boost.

• Like 2