Help me with the rules

16 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It was a back pass for sure.

And yes, if you need a trainer after a tackle, and that tackle produces a card, then you should be allowed to stay on. Some refs do this some dont.

Similar to how some refs enforce the new rule to make players go off the pitch at the closest place when substituted.

You are incorrect with what you say about the trainer….if a player is to stay on then his treatment must be complete by the time the booking is

22 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Surely kicking the ball away (and I’m not talking about kicking it a few yards) is either a booking or it isn’t. Can’t be both.

Something so simple is black and white and that’s why supporters get frustrated when we get booked for something by one referee, yet the same thing is ignored by another referee in a subsequent game

One of those officials isn’t doing their job properly, it can’t be both 

“kicking the ball away”….taking this literally there is no such offence. Delaying the restart is.

therefore it is entirely down to the interpretation of each referee. Not only does the action come in to play but also the context. For example a player in a team 2-1 up with 2 mins left kicking the ball 30 yards away from where say a thrown in is to be taken is likely to be a yellow. Exactly the same action from a player in a team 2-1 down with 2 mins left is not likely to be a yellow

The backpass decision was definitely a mistake on the part of the ref, but let’s face it to give it a a free kick would have been controversial and the ref would have had to be absolutely certain to give it our way. Other than that I don’t remember him making any other errors which puts him pretty high up the list of refs for this season!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian said:

One interesting law regarding the back pass rule. If a player manufactures a non foot back pass such as flicking the ball up and heading it back to the keeper then he concedes an indirect free kick and a yellow. Even if the keeper realises this is not allowed and doesn't handle the ball then its still an indirect free kick and yellow for the defender because the offence in this case is the manufacturing, not the picking up which has occurred irrespective of what the keeper does

That one's really odd. So a player can flick a ball up and head it to a teammate, as long as it's not to their goalkeeper?

Would that still be the case if the 'keeper was out of their penalty area, such as if they'd gone up for a corner late in the game, for example? 

25 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

That one's really odd. So a player can flick a ball up and head it to a teammate, as long as it's not to their goalkeeper?

Would that still be the case if the 'keeper was out of their penalty area, such as if they'd gone up for a corner late in the game, for example? 

It would only be applied if the referee thought they were flaunting the back pass rile.

Of course it wouldn't be penalised if the goalie was in the opposition area that would be silly.

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It is just treated quickly, which is referees discretion of course, so nothing I said was incorrect.

You never mentioned speed of treatment and the fact is, in today’s instance Dele Bashiru’s treatment was far from quick

1 minute ago, Ian said:

You never mentioned speed of treatment and the fact is, in today’s instance Dele Bashiru’s treatment was far from quick

As I said it is the referees discretion. Some refs let them stay some don't. Same with the 6 second rule for the keeper etc, all refs discretion.

18 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

As I said it is the referees discretion. Some refs let them stay some don't. Same with the 6 second rule for the keeper etc, all refs discretion.

And as I said, it is nothing to do with discretion.

20 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

That six-second rule must be easily the least well-policed and most widely abused rule in the entire game. By a country mile in fact, I'd think.

Kicking the ball away isn't the offence - it is 'delaying the restart'.  So if the other team weren't in a position to take the free kick / throw in etc, or the delay was not significant, then no offence is committed.  

Also, on the other point on here, it was 100% a tackle, so not a back pass.

• Like 1