Help me with the rules

First, if a defender kicks the ball back to the keeper is the keeper allowed to pick it up? I thought he wasn't allowed to. 

Secondly, if a player is fouled and its a yellow card, does he have to go off if he gets treatment? I thought the rules were that he didn't. 

It's lovely to be able to question these things with a win under our belt rather than people blaming them. 

28 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

First, if a defender kicks the ball back to the keeper is the keeper allowed to pick it up? I thought he wasn't allowed to. 

Secondly, if a player is fouled and its a yellow card, does he have to go off if he gets treatment? I thought the rules were that he didn't. 

It's lovely to be able to question these things with a win under our belt rather than people blaming them. 

Is your name Boris. I ask because my answer would depend on your answer 😂

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Yes.

And indeed no.

And I couldnt be clear on that Sir Humphrey.

• Haha 2

A backpass with the feet, picked up by the keeper, should be a freekick unless the ref sees it as a tackle and the ball has gone astray.  

The law was changed so a fouled player could receive treatment and not have to go off the field. Otherwise it gives the aggrieved side a disadvantage.  Ive noticed this change isnt always implemented by refs. I dont know why.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lincs Owl said:

A backpass with the feet, picked up by the keeper, should be a freekick unless the ref sees it as a tackle and the ball has gone astray.  

The law was changed so a fouled player could receive treatment and not have to go off the field. Otherwise it gives the aggrieved side a disadvantage.  Ive noticed this change isnt always implemented by refs. I dont know why.  

Yeah thats what I thought. Strange how the ref didn't let Dele stay on. And it was a full on back pass, not a tackle. 

7 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

It’s something like if the player is already off the field of play for treatment the game can continue but if they’re on the pitch and the trainer comes on the game gets stopped.

I saw Arteta forcing one of his injured players back on to go down so that the game would be stopped and they didn’t have to play with 10 men

Back pass

Seems to be no clear definition of what "kick" means and refs make their own judgment.

From the IFAB LAWS, Law 12

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area,
commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
• touches the ball with the hand/arm after releasing it and before it has touched another player
• touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
          • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate

• receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Treatment

My understanding was a player who receives treatment from the physios have to go off until the ref allows them back on. Presumably part of a health & welfare strategy, nowt in The Laws. The card bit has nothing to do with it

The goalkeeper is not allowed to pick the ball up from a DELIBERATE back pass with the feet. The one today was obviously seen by the ref as a tackle. You could make an argument for either.

As far as injuries are concerned, any player who receives treatment from the physio is required to leave the field afterwards and can only return when the ref waves him back (which is normally after a phase of play is complete and / or the ball is not close to where the player will be returning)

The exception to this is that if the treatment of the injured player is complete by the time the referee has completed the sanctioning of the offending player then the "injured" player doesn't need to leave the field. In todays case the player was still being treated after the booking had been completed and therefore the call was right to make him leave the pitch.

One other exception is that if the injured player is due to take any penalty that has been awarded, he can have treatment and then stay on the pitch to take the pen

One interesting law regarding the back pass rule. If a player manufactures a non foot back pass such as flicking the ball up and heading it back to the keeper then he concedes an indirect free kick and a yellow. Even if the keeper realises this is not allowed and doesn't handle the ball then its still an indirect free kick and yellow for the defender because the offence in this case is the manufacturing, not the picking up which has occurred irrespective of what the keeper does

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

They’re Laws and not Rules

Pass back was deemed a tackle. The referee decides what is and what isn’t within the Laws of the Game during the match. No other consideration applies.

Laws and rules are the same thing

And can someone tell me whether kicking the ball away is a bookable offence or not?

one of our players got booked (possibly the previous home game) for doing so, yet in games since then, including today, it’s gone unpunished.

one of those referees clearly isn’t applying the laws of the game correctly

Today's ref had a mindset of letting the game flow and not falling for silly attempts to buy a foul, I liked that and it helped the match I think.

That said, Plymouth's player should have been booked when he pulled back NML in the first half, the fact he played a correct advantage should not have changed that. 

The pass back was absolutely ridiculous, it was a clear play back to the goalie. 

But, on the whole I think he had a decent game. I'd rather have a ref like that who wanted the game to flow who makes the odd mistake than some jobsworth who rocks up at Hillsborough to make a name for themselves by blowing every 45 seconds. We've seen way too many of those.

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Miffed said:

And can someone tell me whether kicking the ball away is a bookable offence or not?

one of our players got booked (possibly the previous home game) for doing so, yet in games since then, including today, it’s gone unpunished.

one of those referees clearly isn’t applying the laws of the game correctly

They can both have a different interpretation of the same law. They aren't all black and white

1 minute ago, Ian said:

They can both have a different interpretation of the same law. They aren't all black and white

Surely kicking the ball away (and I’m not talking about kicking it a few yards) is either a booking or it isn’t. Can’t be both.

Something so simple is black and white and that’s why supporters get frustrated when we get booked for something by one referee, yet the same thing is ignored by another referee in a subsequent game

One of those officials isn’t doing their job properly, it can’t be both 

It was a back pass for sure.

And yes, if you need a trainer after a tackle, and that tackle produces a card, then you should be allowed to stay on. Some refs do this some dont.

Similar to how some refs enforce the new rule to make players go off the pitch at the closest place when substituted.