Takeover ??

15 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Not saying its happening but weren't Leipzig in the 5th tier of German football when they took them over? 

Thing is, they bought a village club from just outside Leipzig (SSV Markranstädt) and just completely uprooted and re-branded it. The whole point is they prefer clubs without much in the way of "baggage" i.e. history or a significant existing fanbase, so we'd be a pretty poor choice in that sense. 

If they ever attempted an incursion into English football I'd expect something like them buying out Curzon Ashton and turning them into "Red Bull Manchester", or Gateshead becoming "Red Bull Newcastle".

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Do you know there are people who get quite irate on Twitter about us having a laugh on here like this about Red Bull

One or two multi-billion-pound sponsorship deals down the toilet again :duntmatter:

• Haha 2

On 16/01/2022 at 23:53, DuttyTeabags said:

You could have said the same about Leipzig.

1) They take the marketing angle extremely seriously:  Red Bull Owls fits.

2) They want to invest in 'heritage brands with history' - Sheffield being the birthplace of world soccer is important.

3) Passionate fanbase, with global reach.

4) Large catchment area to increase sales - Sheffield fits from an adrenaline sports POV with it being positioned as the 'outdoors city'.

5) Academy - a large part of the England team come from South Yorkshire - there is a huge potential pipeline of talent in the area but Sheffield Wednesday in current state is non attractive in terms of attracting the cream of the cream - investment in infrastructure and being an established Premier League club (plus the lure of the RB brand) PLUS the ability for players to get experience of overseas secondments within the global Red Bull network would change this.

6) Pipeline of players which could be loaned in from other RB clubs mean we would be a lot more effective at player transfers in and out without overpaying - this in my opinion would be the single biggest short term benefit in terms of overhauling our current playing squad to gain promotion to Champ and then start to compete for a Prem place - loanees from Leipzig/ Salzberg/ NY.

If I were Chansiri I would have built out a presentation aimed at potential buyers focusing in on the above.

Short term - yes we look a bit of a risk.  With the right long term investment and plan the potential is frightening which is why someone like RB would look at it.

Good comeback, DT...

I guess it's whether somebody like Red Bull would view the current lowly position of SWFC versus the reduced value against some of the clubs I mentioned.

In football, branding is everything, however, and you would definitely make a decent impression presenting your points to support that branding.

15 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Thing is, they bought a village club from just outside Leipzig (SSV Markranstädt) and just completely uprooted and re-branded it. The whole point is they prefer clubs without much in the way of "baggage" i.e. history or a significant existing fanbase, so we'd be a pretty poor choice in that sense. 

If they ever attempted an incursion into English football I'd expect something like them buying out Curzon Ashton and turning them into "Red Bull Manchester", or Gateshead becoming "Red Bull Newcastle".

We have a real red(ish) bull in the field at the end of our lane, I can see it now Red Bull Bakewell. 🐂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

MK Dons are perfect for them. 

Red Bull Dons.

Wonder what the retail value of the club is as it's just been announced that a £28 million bid has been put in for Derby County. I guess DC fantasises over at least 4 times that. If so he will be here until he dies or the club goes into administration .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Wonder what the retail value of the club is as it's just been announced that a £28 million bid has been put in for Derby County. I guess DC fantasises over at least 4 times that. If so he will be here until he dies or the club goes into administration .

I'm sure figures of 100m , then 50 were been bandied about a year or so ago.

24 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm sure figures of 100m , then 50 were been bandied about a year or so ago.

Is that plus 60 million for the ground ? Totally overinflated expectation for a debt riddled division 1 side that he has personally run into the ground.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm on about derby

40 million deal fell through not long ago. Now in administration they will take the best offer. DC should be looking and realise his money is done. Better to get out cheap now than leave with nothing at all...

• Like 2