Last chance saloon for the inept Moore

8 minutes ago, darra said:

Was automatic promotion ever a realistic goal? He's had to cobble together a team of loanees and players at the end of their careers and get them playing as a team in the space of a couple of months. In this transfer window, he's having to wait like other managers in a similar situation for teams to decide who they can afford to lose before he can try to pick up players from the bargain basement. 

The way last season ended and considering we needed to completley rebuild the team under transfer restrictions, my fear was dropping straight through league one.  It wasnt just me, there was a serious concern amongst our supporters that we could completley disappear down the league ladder.

Moore signed a lot of players, and when you sign so many not all of them are going to settle in, click or even work out at all. And while we signed one or two players like Hunt and Wing, there were a number of players that I'd never even heard of so struggle to get carried away thinking this team "should be better".

I know as a fanbase we should be expecting promotion, we should be demanding a team that is capable of not only getting into the Championship but also competing at that level too. And if you stop expecting then you start to accept mediocrity...I get it. But there still has to be a level of expectation versus reality. Im far from defending Moore, and one of the concerns right now is the amount of loans theres a potential that next season will need another big recruitment drive. So do we give Moore another transfer window and see how he recruits ......or do we bring in a new manager again before this project has even had a chance, tear it up, start again (new tactics, team, formation, time to gel etc..) and then bin that one off when its doesnt work after only half a season and start again....and the cylce continiues ad infinitum

Many may not agree but to finish in the top half will do me this season as long as we start laying the foundations for the future. If we can push for the play-offs then brilliant, but surely top two was never a realistic expectation?

• Like 3

I was thinking about this the other day. From the media and neutrals point of view, the Chairman is probably seen as a trigger happy one?

Contrast that view with the Wednesday Fan Base who will argue he’s far too patient with his managers.

Strange isn’t it?

My view is the managers here are under far more pressure from the fans than the man that employs them. 

If the Chairman has his way he’d just leave a manager in place for however long he could as 

a) he clearly doesn’t like sacking managers?

and 

b) he dislikes the process of appointing the next one, even less?

Moore’s a different kettle of fish for me. He’s the first appointment he’s made where compensation was paid which leads me to believe he’ll get more time than most but having said that as patient as the fan base believe the Chairman is when it comes to giving managers time, he IMO has always bowed to Fan Opinion/Pressure eventually?

I think he’s got the rest of this season at least?

1 hour ago, edwinowl said:

Until We get defenders in who ARE defenders Klopp would struggle to do anything with this lot. 
Goodness knows why there’s been no defensive signings. 

Although having defenders missing is an issue,  does that excuse why we’ve scored 2 goals in the last 5 matches played? (Two in one game). Makes you wonder what the other 7 non defenders have been spending 90 minutes doing with the ball.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Miffed said:

The way last season ended and considering we needed to completley rebuild the team under transfer restrictions, my fear was dropping straight through league one.  It wasnt just me, there was a serious concern amongst our supporters that we could completley disappear down the league ladder.

Moore signed a lot of players, and when you sign so many not all of them are going to settle in, click or even work out at all. And while we signed one or two players like Hunt and Wing, there were a number of players that I'd never even heard of so struggle to get carried away thinking this team "should be better".

I know as a fanbase we should be expecting promotion, we should be demanding a team that is capable of not only getting into the Championship but also competing at that level too. And if you stop expecting then you start to accept mediocrity...I get it. But there still has to be a level of expectation versus reality. Im far from defending Moore, and one of the concerns right now is the amount of loans theres a potential that next season will need another big recruitment drive. So do we give Moore another transfer window and see how he recruits ......or do we bring in a new manager again before this project has even had a chance, tear it up, start again (new tactics, team, formation, time to gel etc..) and then bin that one off when its doesnt work after only half a season and start again....and the cylce continiues ad infinitum

Many may not agree but to finish in the top half will do me this season as long as we start laying the foundations for the future. If we can push for the play-offs then brilliant, but surely top two was never a realistic expectation?

A lot of very valid points, and I'm certainly not one for an endless merry-go-round of managers, I would much prefer long term stability.

But, there's always a but, the thing that nags on at the back of my mind is DM's general weirdness and stubbornness. Some of his decision making this season has been downright bizarre.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

Defeat at home to Plymouth tomorrow will I seriously think mark the end for the inept Moore.

The team lacks organisation, a way of playing and above all drive & motivation.  Tactics and substitutions have also been totally bizarre under Moore.

Now clearly all hinges on DC and I am not sure if there is anybody anywhere who can read his mind.

Buit defeat tomorrow would mean the Automatic Promotion goal would be gone and the second best Play Off lottery looking growingly unlikely.

Do be certain that DC can surely calculate the loss on £millions by failing to get back into the Championship.

I wonder if the lack of signings is because a Chansiri is holding fire in case Moore loses this one 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

as far as most supporters go he has been inept all season , i cant put up with watching any more of this rubbish . ive no idea why he aint been sacked it looks clearly like chansiri cant afford to sack him thats why no players incoming . any small chance of getting near playoffs would have meant 2 centre halves signed jan 1st . ive accepted  the season is over regards playoffs but no idea why moore out aint stinging my ears at the games.  he has over 40 plus games im fairly sure the worst win ratio in our history,, some have lower like pulis but thats over a much shorter game span . 

• Like 1

The only person more inept than Moore is Chansiri. 

I reluctanty formed my opinion on Moore some weeks ago. Two very simple things he could do would change my opinion and also I suspect turn around our season. 1. Play players in their preferred positions, 2. Go and attack teams with a high tempo.

I find this possession based walking football very dull and has been proved by results, ineffective. 

This season is done, Chansiri had the chance to change manager over this period and bring in some new players. Inactivity again will cost us. The only time Chansiri would act before the summer is if fans anger shifts from Moore onto him, once that person to defelct crtisism has gone, he will act, way too late.

All I'm expecting for this season is some value for my ticket money every now and again, have zero expectation of troubling the top 6. I hope for a lot more, and we should be achieving a lot more, but revised my expectations in light of another very disapoointing season. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

The workings of DC's mind are a mystery.

But any talk of Moore seeing the season out if we are not challenging for the Play Offs is unrealistic in my view.

Even a cursory look at the loss of income from failing to get back up to the Championship this season would suggest a £10 million shortfall.

Where on earth does funding of that shortfall come from?

DC will know that Adminisration would mean he loses everything (except a football ground in Sheffield).

6 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Although having defenders missing is an issue,  does that excuse why we’ve scored 2 goals in the last 5 matches played? (Two in one game). Makes you wonder what the other 7 non defenders have been spending 90 minutes doing with the ball.  

the defender shortage is moores doing . iorfa out most of last season with a serious injury it was always likely he would break down again and i was told 3 months ago before he was not in the team that he would not play again for us(under moore) we will see if thats true 

dunkley double break of leg we signed him was never right last season , this season he has had 3-4 issues with injury and is currently out yet again

hutchinson again another 1 ,when d moore chucked him into midfield he was out for nearly 3 months just back 

gibson another who isnt known to be fit , saw him for 45 mins this season 3 months after we signed him on loan 

i know we cant have endless amounts of defenders but most said we started the season 1 defender short , this could have been a left back or left sided defender . we need to go back to having fullbacks and playing 433 or 4132 or 4411 with windass behind a main striker . i absolutely have this d moore system it does not work well certainly not in league 1 with the players we have .  

does chansiri have any idea? staying in league 1 is 1 thing but playing this awful style of play and not wanting fans to come back is going to cost us 2-3000 on the gate and next seasons wage bill will have to come down further.  he has been backed with 15 signings all darren moore signings not paxio signings , we aint building for the future all the loans go back ,some of the permanent signings wont play again ,and a few more will leave this summer , luongo, patterson etc , do we want league 2? if so darren will take us there . 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Do you want us to win tomorrow?

Or is your hate bigger than any support for the OWLS you might have?

where does hate come into it? most supporters like darren moore as a person but think he is a joke as a manager . im pretty sure there isnt a fan who wants us to lose tomorrow but if you watch us home/away like i do then you will know its very unlikely we will win tomorrow . 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wonder if the lack of signings is because a Chansiri is holding fire in case Moore loses this one 

I wouldn't rule anything out with DC but to me that would seem like it's putting all your eggs in one basket putting on hold an entire months of transfer dealings on one result though.

What if we win this and lose the next, or win all the games left in January and lose/draw every match after January.

Would have thought if a decision like that was looming, why not just pull the trigger and be done with it

Just now, morganowl said:

where does hate come into it? most supporters like darren moore as a person but think he is a joke as a manager . im pretty sure there isnt a fan who wants us to lose tomorrow but if you watch us home/away like i do then you will know its very unlikely we will win tomorrow . 

I am aware that it will be very difficult to win tomorrow. I am also aware that it will get very hostile, if the players don't turn up tomorrow. 

But why does the FANBASE GIVE UP before the game even started?? Or are these people, who open "Moore out" threads the day before the game, even Wednesday fans or are they just haters? 

I expect the players to fight tomorrow, I expect the fans to get behind the team tomorrow - for me it is not option to give up early. 

It will be difficult enough to win the game tomorrow, even without all this negativity before the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pressman 1 said:

The reason we dont have the momentum we should, is down to poor  tactical management,players out of position etc bizarre subs that have no influence on the game and the inability to attack teams,i like Moore really i do but hes not the man for the job 

Nothing to do with the defence being mostly injured then?

Tomorrow will tell us a huge amount I feel.

We will either pick up where we were at the end of the 12 match unbeaten run. Gradual and steady improvement.

Or we will continue in the vein of the last 2 performances.

Moore and the team need to show that the Sunderland and Shrewsbury games were simply down to covid and are not a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Should have gone before now imo. Have a feeling we will avoid defeat tomorrow. Think Lowe not being there will see them as a weaker side. Hopefully any way. 

Lowe’s replacement has reinvigorated Argyle… they were stuttering before Lowe departed and  his assistant, Schumacher , has steadied the ship and the team is back on form again. Down in these parts a lot of folk reckon that Schumacher was as much the brains of the operation as Lowe was.

Don’t expect a team lacking in confidence and application because Lowe’s not around anymore, prepare yourselves for a hard working, organised team that has lots of pace , talent and determination…. just like the one that has stuffed Wednesday twice already this season.

We will have to be at our very best to pick up points tomorrow.