Tunisia v Mali- Ref has a nightmare

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Exactly

I wonder how people in Sudan felt about watching North Macedonia v Austria

Just because people in Europe don’t want to watch it doesn’t make it any less meaningful to those who do

To suggest It did would be….disrespectful 

I bet people in Sudan have utterly no interest in watching a lot of European football you're absolutely correct. I wouldn't call it lack of respect though. I'm not offended that certain demographics aren't interested in tapping into the European product no more than I am offended with people that live within walking distance of Hillsborough stadium never going to a match or watching football in their life. I just don't understand what level of respect the AFCON is supposed to get with the level it is at? The coverage it gets is pretty decent nowadays, people that want to watch it are able to do so. But it won't get big enough viewing figures to become as mainstream as the Euros or World Cup for obvious reasons. In the same way putting Wednesday v Plymouth on ITV1 didn't.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

I bet people in Sudan have utterly no interest in watching a lot of European football you're absolutely correct. I wouldn't call it lack of respect though. I'm not offended that certain demographics aren't interested in tapping into the European product no more than I am offended with people that live within walking distance of Hillsborough stadium never going to a match or watching football in their life. I just don't understand what level of respect the AFCON is supposed to get with the level it is at? The coverage it gets is pretty decent nowadays, people that want to watch it are able to do so. But it won't get big enough viewing figures to become as mainstream as the Euros or World Cup for obvious reasons. In the same way putting Wednesday v Plymouth on ITV1 didn't.  

Its not about coverage though

Its about recognizing for some players and some fans this is the pinnacle competition for them.

Its just about respecting that.

Not saying stuff like ‘will you go to represent your country or stay with your club’ or ‘no-one cares about Sudan playing whoever’ etc

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

I don't know what this argument is exactly but "the level it is at" is surely irrelevant, as it's all relative. It's about the passion of the game and the battle to win and be champions of your continent ultimately, not the quality of football. 

Edited by flo

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Its not about coverage though

Its about recognizing for some players and some fans this is the pinnacle competition for them.

Its just about respecting that.

Not saying stuff like ‘will you go to represent your country or stay with your club’ or ‘no-one cares about Sudan playing whoever’ etc

I domt understand why it's distespectful to ask players that. If major international competitions were regularly mid season these questions would be asked of many players. 

54 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I domt understand why it's distespectful to ask players that. If major international competitions were regularly mid season these questions would be asked of many players. 

No they wouldn’t 

Because the entire league programme would be cancelled for the duration

Let’s be reyt, the reason most people have no interest in it is because it’s on mid-season when people are following club football, pretty much all the sides are complete dogger (are there even more than a handful of African nations ranked in the top 50?) and then add in the ridiculous things that happen sometimes in this tournament like the other day. 

I’m not sure what respect they want. I would guess 95% of football fans in the UK have absolutely no interest in it and that’s fine. There’s still TV coverage for the ones that do. Similarly, I imagine a high percentage of African nations have no interest in watching the Euros. A podcast I was listening to a few days were talking about this ‘lack of respect’ and I still have no idea what they’re actually moaning about (apart from some club sides not ideally wanting to lose important players). 

On 15/01/2022 at 20:16, darra said:

Saw a bit of a game the other day and the crowd looked very low so maybe it's not too popular in Africa either?

Yeah I was thinking that but I guess it's a lot bigger than Europe in terms of distance and poorer population so less able for as many supporters to travel perhaps. 

• Like 2