Tunisia v Mali- Ref has a nightmare

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Absolute shambles. No wonder the AFCON gets laughed at when people like Ian Wright were saying it doesn't get the respect it deserves. 

Not quite the same point - granted this was a huge cluster, but we’ve also had English referees give ghost goals etc in the past

It definitely doesn’t get the respect it deserves

30 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Not quite the same point - granted this was a huge cluster, but we’ve also had English referees give ghost goals etc in the past

The quality of the tournament is nowhere near the levels of the World Cup or Euros. In Europe where European teams are playing, watched by European nations there is little appetite for the AFCON, Copa America or Asian international trophies. Where is the lack of respect? It's just a mix of geography and the amazingly high standards of European football that dictate these things. I sympathise with a lot of the factors that make African football inferior (socially, culturally, financially, infrastructurally) but overall people aren't going to be interested in Sudan v Guinea Bissau on bbc iplayer in a stadium with no fans and standards of football and refeereeing that are way below the levels that people pay money to watch in stadiums and on TV. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

The ghost goals are a genuine accident.

How on earth can a referee at his level not tell the time....it's not like the numbers are in a different language?

And to do it twice?????

In 4 minutes???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Mmmm not at all suspicious.

Shades of the Malaysia betting syndicates and all them " floodlight" failures we had here 

Just what I was thinking when I heard about it, how the hell can a ref blow for full time 5 minutes early?? :duntmatter:

The only possible explanation for this is staring everyone in the face.

It's not because he's an An African FA referee, it would be the same if it was UEFA official.

Why do we think officials are automatically pure and beyond question ?  I think they are all ripe to be got at, through blackmail or bribes. 

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes,  if  a referee denies a blatant penalty whilst looking straight at it,  only one possible explanation remains. 

3 hours ago, Bannofan said:

The only possible explanation for this is staring everyone in the face.

It's not because he's an An African FA referee, it would be the same if it was UEFA official.

Why do we think officials are automatically pure and beyond question ?  I think they are all ripe to be got at, through blackmail or bribes. 

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes,  if  a referee denies a blatant penalty whilst looking straight at it,  only one possible explanation remains. 

He needs glasses?

He's lost his guide dog?

On 12/01/2022 at 22:09, TheEnchanter said:

The quality of the tournament is nowhere near the levels of the World Cup or Euros. In Europe where European teams are playing, watched by European nations there is little appetite for the AFCON, Copa America or Asian international trophies. Where is the lack of respect? It's just a mix of geography and the amazingly high standards of European football that dictate these things. I sympathise with a lot of the factors that make African football inferior (socially, culturally, financially, infrastructurally) but overall people aren't going to be interested in Sudan v Guinea Bissau on bbc iplayer in a stadium with no fans and standards of football and refeereeing that are way below the levels that people pay money to watch in stadiums and on TV. 

People in Sudan might be 

Thanks for answering the lack of respect point for me

3 hours ago, Fairy Tail Owl said:

He is clearly talking about people in Europe and not Sudanese and Guineas.

Exactly

I wonder how people in Sudan felt about watching North Macedonia v Austria

Just because people in Europe don’t want to watch it doesn’t make it any less meaningful to those who do

To suggest It did would be….disrespectful