What Is The Best Shape For A Wednesday Badge/Emblem ?

In terms of shape, which was the OP's question, I probably favour circle over shield.

If we digress to actual emblem, the Owl on which our current one is based probably edges it as it's pretty much based on what we've  had for most of our history. That said I also liked the simplistic one designed in the 70's.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

In terms of shape, which was the OP's question, I probably favour circle over shield.

Loads of pre-1970 kits had massive square/rectangle club crests didn't they? Always remember Danny Baker in Own Goals And Gaffes wearing some vintage shirt during one of the links, and saying it was like having a Christmas card pinned to your t1t

lol

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

Historically club badges used to be intricate coat of arms style.

Nowadays they tend to be simplified, an emblem that’s instantly recognisable, even from a distance.

Also changing the look of a badge too often isn’t often good practice, unless you want to re-model the brand and start again.

I prefer a more modern version of the 70’s stencil style.

I loved the pre seventies one, pretty much the same as the present one. When the 'wired frame' weird owl appeared in 1970 I was gutted, so I'm happy my favourite is back.

Although I am quite partial to this homo-erotic beauty from 1935 - which apparently is an old one of ours.

Sheffield-Wednesday-FC-1935-FA-Cup-Final.png

Edited by Willie Henderson

6 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

y'mean this?

Capture.JPG.3f99ecf6d104341d162eb1f9043b0eec.JPG

Don't think the new one is better than our classic owl of the 80s + 90s - I love the brilliant simplicity of that design, that's what made it so great - but it's definitely a vast improvement for them. Their previous one was better suited to a can of super-strength lager IMO.

I know lots of people enjoy our current one, but I can't shake the idea that it reminds me of a colouring competition off the back of a kids' menu in a motorway pub. lol

image.png.7197a27c26a26fe3b1d6ab810eed0fff.png

Nothing beats our old one fella. I was saying Oldhams new one better than our current one.   

• Like 1

Said it before and I’ll say it again, the stylised owl with no shield would be a thing of beauty on our shirt. It’s iconic, stylish, smart and known the world over

Our current muddled, dull, boring badge is an absolute abomination 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The current badge looks like a tawny owl and betty boop had a love child.

The most iconic logos are usual simple designs. 

Look at the big brands.  McDonald's. Nike.  Apple. Etc all simple clean logos

I love the 90s owl and prefer it with the shield as it frames it and draws the eye in nicely.  

Nothing redeeming  about the current one. We've had some great shirts of late but all ruined by that bloody thing. 

• Like 1