Scariest ever away day experience

5 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

That’s the game mate …. It’s was the army lads … there’s a large army training garrison at Aldershot… they must had Saturday afternoon off and thought “ let’s have them northerners”…..like you said … a lot of old 3 division grounds where dodgy places ……… Southend/ Lincoln/Port vale……..was less trouble in league 1 and 2 

It's the largest garrison in the country with nutters there from all over the country, so shouldn't really come as any surprise. Incidentally they had the best team in the country during WW2!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Wigan away 1977 standing on the side terrace at their old Springfield Park ground. Most matches that day had been postponed so a huge contingent of ManUre fans (whose game was also off) made the trip. The ground was basically a derelict dump with bricks everywhere. Never seen so much stuff raining down on both sides or so much blood and so many split heads.

Also remember the game at Chelsea in 1975; kicked off after the game. Saw one fan (not sure which side) with his hand impaled on a spike at the top of a fence. Still sends shivers down my spine to recall it.

A pal of mine took a brick to the head that game. He went out like a light. We managed to get him to pitchside, revived him then I took him round the pitch to the ambulance room where he got patched up. I remember the running battles on that side terrace with the Man U fans it was pretty nasty.

5 hours ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Peterborough away years ago live on TV on a Saturday evening. I've never seen such a p!ssed up away end, fights breaking out all over the place on an old fashioned standing terrace with nowhere to go. 

I was going to mention that one. Wasn’t fun. Only time I’ve seen our own fans fighting each other, and that was before kick-off.

I did smirk following week though, when the Peterborough fans who’d invaded the pitch in celebration after beating us ended up having to deal with relegation anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Man City away in 84  for feeling of violence.

41,000 there cities biggest gate if the season.

As to danger ,the fearfull crush outside Oakwell in 81, a night game with 28,000 there

Just being on the Pontefract Road End in 1990/91 season was really risking life and Limb because where we stood, We could hear some Dingle trying to point out who the Wednesday fans were and getting over excited.Thankfully, he’ didn’t  point his accusing finger in my direction.🙄

2 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Unless they shake a leg we will likely be playing em next season .

My favourite of the other local sides hope they stop up

Really had to behave myself when Carlton Palmer scored the last gasp equaliser because all hell would have broken loose had some of us started celebrating.

4 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Think your memory may be a little clouded mate …… Definitely the locals as we met a couple of Wednesday lads who were  doing their army training in Aldershot at the time (and still attend home & away now) who pointed out the locals who they had trouble with every weekend!

Also it was a midweek game not a Saturday!

😂😂..Thanks for clarifying it a bit for me …did we win 8-0 ?? …remember loads of short back and sides lads everywhere…just thought ..Army 😬😬…. away game in them days seemed to be a drunken haze  anyway 🥳……point was .. some so called safe away grounds where just as bad as the notorious ones …. Wrexham was another….they had a forward called Billy Ashcroft who use to goad the Wednesday fans ….

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

It's the largest garrison in the country with nutters there from all over the country, so shouldn't really come as any surprise. Incidentally they had the best team in the country during WW2!

Home to the Parachute Regiment if I’m not mistaken.🤔

11 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

😂😂..Thanks for clarifying it a bit for me …did we win 8-0 ?? …remember loads of short back and sides lads everywhere…just thought ..Army 😬😬…. away game in them days seemed to be a drunken haze  anyway 🥳……point was .. some so called safe away grounds where just as bad as the notorious ones …. Wrexham was another….they had a forward called Billy Ashcroft who use to goad the Wednesday fans ….

Sorry Wasn’t the 8-0 match …that was late 80s…was more early 80s I think 

8 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Lol totally agree ……… Another memorable one was when we lost 1-0 to in the league cup at a then 4th tier Swindon Town ……… It seemed like the whole town turned out for us ……… Absolute mayhem from getting off the mini bus at 3:30pm to getting back on after the game ………. Too many injuries & arrests for what we thought was going to be a run of the mill cup tie!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I was going to mention that one. Wasn’t fun. Only time I’ve seen our own fans fighting each other, and that was before kick-off.

I did smirk following week though, when the Peterborough fans who’d invaded the pitch in celebration after beating us ended up having to deal with relegation anyway.

Forgot about that!

I also remember walking past a pub full of Wednesdayites and seeing a Wednesdayite run, jump and swing on a huge chandelier... how it held his weight I'll never know.  It was at that moment I probably should have realised it was going to be 'interesting' in that away end.

On 11/01/2022 at 12:19, Lifetime Owl said:

Man Utd away in League Cup semi 1994....all the Dambusters stuff that got mistaken for Munich Anniversary and i was on my own walking back to our car keeping a low profile

I got arrested was only 16 Man Utd fans spitting at me whilst been lead down the ground. I had no money to get home they released me at 12.30 am. I had to go to court  “ for acting like a aeroplane “

• Haha 4

On 17/01/2022 at 18:29, mildatheart67 said:

Man City away in 84  for feeling of violence.

41,000 there cities biggest gate if the season.

As to danger ,the fearfull crush outside Oakwell in 81, a night game with 28,000 there

It was just under 33 thousand   but I'm sure lots got in for free

Tottenham White Hart Lane 1993. Won 2-0 But remember pub before fearing for my life. Rough was an understatement. Women playing pool where 6 foot 5 and looked like they would kill you. Ney mind blokes in there. 

Also West Ham 1992 won 2-1 Jemson winner nearly died from the crush when winner went in. But afterwards remember it being a tad naughty.

Edited by JOHNHARKES