Who can actually get SWFC the goals this season?

Look at the squad we have and the players currently at our disposal

Who would you say can get the ball and smash it into the back of the net and get us the goals we need?

Gregory - yes definitely but only if he gets service

Windass - what's happening with this kid? All I see is him spouting some reight Sheeeeeeite on twitter these days

Anyone else?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Prediction for final totals:

Gregory - 14

Windass - 8 (if he can get fit)

Kamberi - 8

Paterson - 6

Bannan - 5

Mendez-Laing - 4

Dunkley - 4

Adeniran - 3

Shodipo - 3

Wing - 2

Luongo - 2

Berahino - 2

Think we will need another striker who can notch ten goals in the remainder of the season to get playoffs.

• Like 1

This is an issue I have when I hear fans saying ‘Moore was backed in the summer’ and ‘we’ve got a squad that should be weeing the league’.

Teams that get promoted generally score 80-90+ plus goals in a season.

Did anyone look at our squad at the start of the season and see us scoring 80-90+ goals?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Look at the squad we have and the players currently at our disposal

Who would you say can get the ball and smash it into the back of the net and get us the goals we need?

Gregory - yes definitely but only if he gets service

Windass - what's happening with this kid? All I see is him spouting some reight Sheeeeeeite on twitter these days

Anyone else?

We aint got enough goals in us. Compare this year with our last two promotions from L1.

We have drawn so many games we should have won because we dont create enough opportunitie.. 

• Like 1

Said this at the start of the season, but was shouted down by the guys who know best. We needed a 20 goal a season striker.

you need about 70+ goals to get in the play offs and we will be way short of that. Both times we’ve gone up we’ve had that, maclean and madine got 20ish. We’re way off challenging without addressing this and the awful turgid style of play. Losing corbeanu isn’t helpful either. It’s a mid table season I’m afraid and hopefully we’ll learn our lesson for next season. 

5 minutes ago, whatdial said:

Said this at the start of the season, but was shouted down by the guys who know best. We needed a 20 goal a season striker.

you need about 70+ goals to get in the play offs and we will be way short of that. Both times we’ve gone up we’ve had that, maclean and madine got 20ish. We’re way off challenging without addressing this and the awful turgid style of play. Losing corbeanu isn’t helpful either. It’s a mid table season I’m afraid and hopefully we’ll learn our lesson for next season. 

Yes, and in 2005 we had a midfield who chipped in regularly and 2012 we had defenders who did the same. Right now we simply don't look like scoring or even creating.

• Like 3

There are goals in this side but I’m not sure that the current manager is capable of getting the best out of our attacking options.

Gregory, Windass and Paterson in another side could each score 15 goals at this level playing week in week out.

Shodipo has a proven track record at this level of scoring goals.

Medez Laing should be more than capable of chipping in with a few.

In another side playing regular football I think Kamberi would be good for a dozen.

As I say, there are goals in this side, the manager just isn’t capable of getting them.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

This is an issue I have when I hear fans saying ‘Moore was backed in the summer’ and ‘we’ve got a squad that should be weeing the league’.

Teams that get promoted generally score 80-90+ plus goals in a season.

Did anyone look at our squad at the start of the season and see us scoring 80-90+ goals?

Exactly.

Gregory is a solid option in this division, even at his age, but beyond that I think we were hoping Windass would stay fit or Berahino would rediscover his form.

So far, neither have happened.

The thing I don't get is that Moore clearly recruited for a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with the likes of Corbeanu and Shodipo, but we failed to add the key component of either system: a front man who's comfortable playing up there on his own.

Whether we tried and failed due to the restrictions we're operating under, I don't know. But it's hamstrung our season massively.

• Like 1

Our goal tally is pathetic. Accrington, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Fleetwood, Morecambe all scored more.

It's not so much the players, but the mindset of the team. Too pragmatic,  negative, backwards thinking instead of attacking teams. 

We've hardly had a shot on target in the last two games, never mind seriously looked like scoring. Mostly our attacking play is completely clueless, I genuinely wonder how long in training is allocated to attacking vs passing it between ourselves In our own box, getting as far as the half way line, then coming backwards to our own box again. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Our goal tally is pathetic. Accrington, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Fleetwood, Morecambe all scored more.

It's not so much the players, but the mindset of the team. Too pragmatic,  negative, backwards thinking instead of attacking teams. 

We've hardly had a shot on target in the last two games, never mind seriously looked like scoring. Mostly our attacking play is completely clueless, I genuinely wonder how long in training is allocated to attacking vs passing it between ourselves In our own box, getting as far as the half way line, then coming backwards to our own box again. 

It’s hard to compete with the likes of fleetwood and Cheltenham.

• Like 2

Gregory, Kamberi, Windass and Paterson are all capable of providing the goals. Blimey Paterson got 12 in a relegated Championship side last season. You should expect even more in a lower division.

Its the turgid style of play with such slow build up that’s so easy to defend against that’s the problem. By the time we’ve passed the ball sideways and back around our defence and midfield a dozen times even League 1 defenders are set rigidly into shape and our forwards man marked.

Our set pieces are unimaginative and our throw ins usually concede possession to opponents.

• Like 3