Jump to content

Sheffield Football Museum


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Then the museum itself.  I believe the Preston/Manchester will have the cream of the assets already.   This will be the hardest thing, what to fill the museum with.

 

I can just picture it now: "And over here we have the actual advertising board Leon Clake kicked when he broke his toe..."

 

:duntmatter:

 

As you say - the National Football Museum has had a two-decade head start on anything started in Sheffield now, so what are they going to put in it to give it the edge over its obvious rival? Or is this just a museum of Sheffield football history?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Something like this needs the support of many interested parties - something that the 'Sheffield Home of Football' campaign looked to be getting somewhere with before Covid and lockdowns hit. I hope it picks up a head of steam again soon.

 

http://www.homeoffootball.net/

 

 

That looks ok if you're into that sort of thing


Problem is it's incredibly niche and the stuff they're doing has a very very limited audience


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the National Museum of Football already exists. Maybe we should open the Museum of Football Infamy.

 

Betting scandals, the UK's most appalling football disaster, points deductions and cake ball could be the main exhibits. 

 

Roll up, roll up.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

That looks ok if you're into that sort of thing


Problem is it's incredibly niche and the stuff they're doing has a very very limited audience

Here's what they were suggesting (in outline from a 180 page document). I'm not sure it's niche. Different from Manchester though, which as you've pointed out - have beaten Sheffield  to the national museum 

Screenshot_20220110-222743_Fast PDF Reader.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just can't see it, we are miles behind and have never been what you might call "A footballing City" unlike Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc

Sheffield FC don't even play in the City and their plans for the new stadium is just pie in the sky and will never happen.

(Not a dig at Club as I follow them Home & Away)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nero said:

As the National Museum of Football already exists. Maybe we should open the Museum of Football Infamy.

 

Betting scandals, the UK's most appalling football disaster, points deductions and cake ball could be the main exhibits. 

 

Roll up, roll up.

Could be like Ripley's, interactive.

 

Now see what it's like to stand behind a footballer, here's Vinnie Jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/01/2022 at 06:15, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

 

I can just picture it now: "And over here we have the actual advertising board Leon Clake kicked when he broke his toe..."

 

:duntmatter:

 

As you say - the National Football Museum has had a two-decade head start on anything started in Sheffield now, so what are they going to put in it to give it the edge over its obvious rival? Or is this just a museum of Sheffield football history?

This is the spot where Colin West's penalty landed.

 

This is the taxi in which Dane Whitehouse verbally abused the driver.  This is the urinal that Madine was weeing in that led to his conviction.  This is the £20 note.  This are the where Sheffield United changing room spies are trained etc etc

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nero said:

As the National Museum of Football already exists. Maybe we should open the Museum of Football Infamy.

 

Betting scandals, the UK's most appalling football disaster, points deductions and cake ball could be the main exhibits. 

 

Roll up, roll up.

 

That's a great idea!!! People love to hear about scandals and disaster. 

Make it a worldwide thing and get tourists in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Here's what they were suggesting (in outline from a 180 page document). I'm not sure it's niche. Different from Manchester though, which as you've pointed out - have beaten Sheffield  to the national museum 

Screenshot_20220110-222743_Fast PDF Reader.jpg

 

 

 

That's what I was on about really mate
It's one of those well meaning objectives that usually result in very little impact

It might be better if they went hell for leather working with all Sheffield clubs, council and most importantly private sector to try and start building a master project that can get some money behind it and bring the city something huge that makes a real massive impact

Not wanting to dismiss it obviously and it would be cracking if they can make what they want to work work but if you look at that list of objectives above I couldnt' feel any less excited about it when I read it


 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/01/2022 at 06:04, Manwë said:

 

 

Then the museum itself.  I believe the Preston/Manchester will have the cream of the assets already.   This will be the hardest thing, what to fill the museum with.  We can't have a repeat of the Pop Museum.

 

 

The National Football Museum was originally in Preston next to Deepdale, think the idea was because Preston were the first ever League Champions in 1888.

But was moved to Manchester about 10 years ago which ********@d off people in Preston.

I have been to the one in Manchester twice when I had a couple of hours spare in Manchester, its ok if you are in the area and have time spare but I wouldn't recommend anyone making a special trip.

I thought it would be better next to Old Trafford then you get a feel of football, feel a bit isolated from going to a match experience in the city centre. Also when I went it was free and now I think they charge £10 so I am unlikely to visit again and would probably go to another museum in Manchester if I have spare time there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/01/2022 at 23:30, Supersiggi2 said:

 

 

From memory there's not a lot of interactive stuff for the kids at Manchester museum - sticking their head through a cut out pretending to be Messi or Ronaldo was one thing. Pretty basic really.

 

 

 

They can pretend to be Kim Olsen or James Beattie instead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry this might not be popular but…

 

Sheffield is the home of the first codified football club, they are (I think) FIFA recognised as such, and they are the longest continuously run football club.
 

Sheffield FC however are full of poo when claiming to be “The World’s first football club” as they advertise as their slogan. The World’s first football club was actually from Edinburgh and there is documented proof in the National Archives of Scotland that is the case.
 

The Foot-Ball Club of Edinburgh who are now long since defunct started in 1824 long before Sheffield FC and are the oldest recorded and registered football club of members anywhere in the world. The Foot-Ball Club of Edinburgh organisation ended in the 19th century, they are no longer current, and admittedly they didn’t play modern football rules but either did Sheffield FC when they first started. And that’s the key point.

Sheffield FC’s claim to the first written rules is also questionable. Again there is archived documentation from the Foot-Ball Club from 1854 of a set of football rules which pre-dates Sheffield FC’s first rules from I think 1857-58?
 

It’s no big deal really. Sheffield FC - the first modern day football club and first modern day rules, sure.
 

First ever football club. Nope. Edinburgh’s club wasn’t modern day football but Sheffield FC are not the “World’s first”.

 

And FWIW I do agree that Sheffield should do more to promote its history within the game and a football museum should be in the city which recognises the contribution Sheffield made to modern day football. It shouldn’t be Preston or wherever it’s based.

2A4706B3-6311-4FC9-8E80-729C1B68C19D.jpeg

78B7ED32-FD26-4E43-BFCB-E2F93BD6ACB7.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Sorry this might not be popular but…

 

Sheffield is the home of the first codified football club, they are (I think) FIFA recognised as such, and they are the longest continuously run football club.
 

Sheffield FC however are full of poo when claiming to be “The World’s first football club” as they advertise as their slogan. The World’s first football club was actually from Edinburgh and there is documented proof in the National Archives of Scotland that is the case.
 

The Foot-Ball Club of Edinburgh who are now long since defunct started in 1824 long before Sheffield FC and are the oldest recorded and registered football club of members anywhere in the world. The Foot-Ball Club of Edinburgh organisation ended in the 19th century, they are no longer current, and admittedly they didn’t play modern football rules but either did Sheffield FC when they first started. And that’s the key point.

Sheffield FC’s claim to the first written rules is also questionable. Again there is archived documentation from the Foot-Ball Club from 1854 of a set of football rules which pre-dates Sheffield FC’s first rules from I think 1857-58?
 

It’s no big deal really. Sheffield FC - the first modern day football club and first modern day rules, sure.
 

First ever football club. Nope. Edinburgh’s club wasn’t modern day football but Sheffield FC are not the “World’s first”.

 

And FWIW I do agree that Sheffield should do more to promote its history within the game and a football museum should be in the city which recognises the contribution Sheffield made to modern day football. It shouldn’t be Preston or wherever it’s based.

2A4706B3-6311-4FC9-8E80-729C1B68C19D.jpeg

78B7ED32-FD26-4E43-BFCB-E2F93BD6ACB7.jpeg

Are you the same person who quoted all this on my fb post when I said I was at "The World's First" recently? Apologies if not, just curious 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...